Author Topic: Wheel Rim Rust  (Read 7660 times)

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
Wheel Rim Rust
« on: March 29, 2005, 05:51:55 pm »
Having finally replaced the tire on my front rim, I've moved on to the rear. Removed it, the tire, tube and rim wrap. I found rust in several places, nothing that would compromise the integrety of the rim or spokes, but enough for me to think I need to try and stop or slow further rusting. My plan is to use a brass brush chucked in a drill to remove the loose stuff, use Naval Jelly to neutralize what's left and lightly paint the spots with some rust inhibiting paint hoping this will slow things down. Eventually, a new rim and relacing the spokes will be in order, but not right now. Any thoughts? Anyone dealt with this and how did you do it? Thanks in advance.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Wheel Rim Rust
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 08:33:50 pm »
BRASSO, BRASSO, BRASSO!
Today: '73 cb350f, '96 Ducati 900 Supersport
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 04:46:18 am »
Not sure I understand. I am, unfortunately, all too familiar with Brasso from my military days..long, long ago. I can see, possibly its use for polishing chrome, though never tried it. How would it be effective in rust removal and prevention??

In rereading my orig. post, I should have been more specific, I'm talking about rust on the interior of the rim, not the exterior if that makes a difference. Outwardly, the rim is in pretty good shape. I'm thinking with the tires not inflated during its 20 year storage, moisture or condensation was allowed to run down and get between the tire and rim, at least more so than if the tires had been fully inflated and maintained pressure against the inner sides of the rim.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 07:29:05 am by Bob Wessner »

cb750_chris

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 06:19:37 am »
Getting it re-chromed should only cost about $100.00.  The bead on these things tends to leak though + rust gets inside the bead.  If you hear something rattling around in the bead thats probably what you have.  Find some one who has done these before and knows how to drill holes from the inside of the bead to get the rust out.  The holes can be left behind and have no affect on the rim.   If you have the rolled edge rear rim this is all worth while to save it.   

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 07:09:05 am »
Can you describe what you mean by the rolled edge rim?

Offline mwvachon

• Hot Shot
  • The Family Heirloom
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 10:25:39 am »
Bob,
If your rust is only on the inside of the rim, you only need clean it off and apply a compound like Rustoleum's Rust Reformer. This material will stop further rusting and turns the treated area to black. The area can be sanded/painted/etc. afterward. Product can be found at most automotive parts stores and has directions on use. Since the early 750's are tubed tires, you need only insure that there are no rough surfaces that may damage the tube surface anywhere along the inside rim surface. Replace the inner wheel band (that large rubber band thingy that wraps around the the inner rim surface and sits under the tube itself) if it shows ANY wear-n-tear. Other than that, you should be all set. Don't forget to true the rims!
M.W.Vachon
2014 CB1100 Deluxe
1999 Valkyrie I/S
1971 CB750-K1 (Candy Gold)
1971 CB750-K1 (Candy Red)
Project link: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=108498.0]
1965 Honda S90
1976 GL1000
1975 CB400F

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 10:47:50 am »
Thanks, just what I did. Now I can say I have successfully changed tires, tubes and rim bands myself (the bands are so cheap I could not see even evaluating the old ones).

That said, I will 'never' do it again though unless I'm stranded out on the road and even then would a) consider a flat bed tow to the nearest town, b) do it myself again, but only if I had at least a cold 6 pack with me and a revolver with one round in the cylinder! Definately the worst job so far, ugh. Oh well, it's done.

cb750_chris

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 01:12:12 pm »
If the inside was all that was rusted re-chroming would be over kill.  Having it re-chromed would take care of both the inside and outside for good though as the factory didn't chrome the inside. 

Another option is that the standard cb750 rim kits are available from cmsnl.com that include rim + spokes. 

A rolled edge rim is the rear rim that came on 69 and early 70 k0's

it has a slightly larger spoke center hump, and the bead edges are not squared off..... they are rolled, or rounded. 

The naked rim itself is worth over $250.00 in fair condition. 

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 01:41:54 pm »
Chris,

Thanks for the description. It would appear that's what I have, just finished giving it a good cleaning and waxing before putting it back on tomorrow.

Well, maybe I should take that back. It seems to have a heavy mid-ridge for the spokes, but I guess how "rounded" the edge of the rim is, is relative. Maybe I can post a small pic. I sort of doubt it is the kind you are suggesting only because the PO has made a number of changes, it would not surprise me to find later rims on it.

Chris,

See the attached, the rim looks pretty unremarkable to me. The spoke ridge is not that large and the rim edge appears pretty square to me.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 02:34:02 pm by Bob Wessner »

cb750_chris

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 03:34:33 pm »
I wish I could tell from the photo.  I had the same problem when trying to buy a rim for my bike.  I basically had to take a leap of faith and send the money without being sure.  Fortunately I ended up with the rim I wanted.  I would go with your instincts.  If the bead on the rear looks the same as the bead on the front it's the later type rim.  The rounded type has a pretty distinct radius at the edges.  

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 04:30:14 pm »
The rim profile for both the front and rear are identical so that answers that. Thanks for the tip. One more piece of the puzzle in place.