Author Topic: 400f alternator installation  (Read 759 times)

wilson11

400f alternator installation
« on: March 20, 2007, 06:23:43 pm »
Hello. I have removed my alternator cover for cleaning and polishing and have cleaned up the connectors and am now going to install it. Now I see the three wires coming from the stator are all yellow and the 3 corresponding wires in the harness are yellow, does that mean there is no specific way to connect them, you can just connect anyone to anyone? Thank you.

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: 400f alternator installation
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 07:28:44 pm »
Yellow to yellow, there's no wrong order so any yellow male bullet in any yellow female.
Make sure the bullets are clean, the females can be cleaned with a Q-tip if you strip some of the cotton off to get it small enough.
Tighten the females. You can see the open seam in the female's metal barrel. Squeeze gently with pliers so that the seam is between the jaws, not facing a jaw. A bit of masking tape on toothed or jagged jaws protects the plastic bullet cover sleeve.
Smear some dielectric grease or silicon O-ring grease on the male metal tip. A light coating on the female contact and the inside of the plastic sleeve is good too. Make sure they snap together or are at least fairly hard to insert.
All five bullet pairs should get this treatment. These 5 plugs all carry fairly high current and a faulty connection will cripple the charging system.

Offline wardmoto

• Enthusiast
Re: 400f alternator installation
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 07:32:17 pm »
An already crippled charging system to begin with...if you do the math and factor output and all the various loads, there is generally no much left for the poor battery.  This doesn't factor in resistance loses in all those corroded bullet connectors!  Keep everything clean and a battery tender is like an IV for your bike.
03 Suzuki SV 1000S
86 Suzuki GS 550ES
72 Honda CB 350K
72 Honda CB 350F
72 Honda Cb 350F cafe