Author Topic: CB550 Carburetor Replacement ideas  (Read 40 times)

Offline Amann31

CB550 Carburetor Replacement ideas
« on: October 23, 2024, 10:12:55 pm »
Hey guys, so I have had my 1976 CB550 for a few months now and have been riding often, but I could never get it to idle quite where it should. It always wanted to idle at 1500-2000 rpm (according to my tach). Anyways, it recently began to die at idle once  fully hot, which made me finally bite the bullet and open up the carbs. The #2 carb looked like this:
For context the #2 cylinder had acted strangely and I suspected it of having some kind of misfire, despite strong ignition. Anyways, to get to the point of my long winded story, does anyone have any ideas on fixing or replacing just the #2 carb? I would hate to buy a whole other rack on ebay and have to worry about it being in usable condition or not. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Amann31

Re: CB550 Carburetor Replacement ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2024, 10:24:10 pm »
Also found a Murrays 4into2 carb setup on ebay for 450 and I am considering that if these seem unfixable. If anyone has an opinion on these that would be awesome. It seems that the #2 carb certainly is unfixable due to the broken piece being part of the casting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
Re: CB550 Carburetor Replacement ideas
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2024, 10:57:34 pm »
Looking at the picture, my main concern would be where the main jet sits. You have to make sure the main jet is well sealed, meaning: no gasoline can be sucked passed the little O-ring. That tower looks a bit damaged. I hope you can improvise semething. Others may chime in with advice.
For the rest, I don't see anything wrong. I'd carefully unscrew the SLOW JET and clean it. Prior to that you may want to spray some WD-40 or similar product first. For cleaning some carb cleaner and blown air usually does it. I sometimes use stranded copper wire for it. Trying to look through it, you may 'detect' something in there that looks like some sort of a minuscule spider web. Ignore it: it's not there! It's a known trompe l'oeuil, an optical illusion. You may also blow some air and carb cleaner in the orifice of where the SLOW JET sits. I'd carefully pull (try with your nails) the float's swivel pin and clean/polish it. The same for the conus of the float needle and its corresponding seat in the valve. You may leave some WD-40 on the contacting surfaces, so the needle won't stick. Once reassembled, the gasoline will take it from there. You don't want to use anything abbrasive. Do NOT be tempted to 'adjust' the float's tang. I have never seen a CB500/550 float tang that needed to be readjusted. Many here - eager to do 'maintenance' -  interpret the Clymer manual on this as a maintenance thing. Well, it's not.
BTW, you haven't specified your model CB550. Just mentioning the year doesn't give us a clue.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:22:17 am by Deltarider »
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."