Author Topic: Portland hangout for SOHC people  (Read 2208 times)

Offline stearmandriver

Portland hangout for SOHC people
« on: March 21, 2007, 02:33:30 pm »
Hello,  I am flying to Portland Oregon and will have all day Friday and most on Saturday to hang out with some fellow SOHC folks.  Does anyone have any recommendations for vintage shops or open garages in the area.  I know this sounds a little wierd, but I fly the airplane.  When I land, I have nothing to do but look for motorcycle shops, and parts until I leave Saturday night.  Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave Hughes
Stearmandriver
513 919-1476
"Everyone needs to be passionate about something, anything...  I'll help you collect acorns if thats your thing, just don't sit there and tell me your bored!"

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
Re: Portland hangout for SOHC people
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 02:55:36 pm »
Good post Stearman driver.

I have the same problem.

Right now I'm sitting at DFW waiting for Turbine specialties at FTW to pull a loaner engine off the bird and put the overhauled one back on.

Nothing worse than time to kill between flights.

Course thats how I manage to steal all them SOHC's from michigan  ;D
Stranger in a strange land

Offline stearmandriver

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 03:48:21 pm »
Don't think of it as stealing.  Just a great way to further your passion!
"Everyone needs to be passionate about something, anything...  I'll help you collect acorns if thats your thing, just don't sit there and tell me your bored!"

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 03:52:15 pm »
Lol actually the last one went to fuel johnnys passion.

What ya doing flying round in the portland area?

Offline riktaboy

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 04:33:33 pm »
Which airport will you be parking it at?  Will you have tranportation to get around town in?

Offline stearmandriver

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 06:31:37 pm »
I fly into Portland International,  a big yellow 767 full of boxes.  I know what its like waiting for engines to be changed.  Lots of them from a previous job.

I will have my own transportation.  Rentaheap.

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 06:32:55 pm »
Dewey Huey and Louie  :D

Offline stearmandriver

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 06:37:28 pm »
ABXAir flying for DueyHuey and Louie.  They are a foreign company and can't own controlling shares of a US airline. They bought Airborne Express a few years back and we spun off into our own US publically held airline.  Baisically I'm a contract trucker for them.

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 06:42:52 pm »
yeah you guys used to have a bunch of dc-9's with the little doors yes?

been there for brown a time or two.

As well as emery / menlo.

Miss the emery days...was a good gig.

Offline jabbadeznuts

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 06:49:55 pm »
When and where is the meet? I'm in Salem, which is only an hour away.
'75 CB550
'82 Suzuki GN125 - glad to be rid of that thing.

Offline Master Ted

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 06:53:55 pm »
Baisically I'm a contract trucker for them.

Chuckle :)

Friend of mine is heart doc who describes himself as a Cath Jockey.
CB750/K2

Offline stearmandriver

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 06:59:33 pm »
Don't know anything about a meet yet, just trying to find a place to hang out.  Motorcycle  scrap yard,  a shop where they work on old bikes,  some dudes greasy garage with a bike in a million pieces,  (like mine)  you name it.  As long as the beer is cold and you don't mind me asking a bunch of questions about old Hondas.

We still have quite  a fleet of those DC9s as well as four or five Douglasaurus8s.  Can't seem to kill them!

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 07:00:39 pm »
I tell people I am a heavy equipment operator.

On a bad day I'm a ditch digger  ;D

I'm stuck in Dallas if anyone needs a hand.

Offline stearmandriver

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 07:02:44 pm »
My wife hates it when I tell people "I work in the pressure vessel industry". :D

Offline mrblasty

• Expertly
  • Expert
  • I can bunny hop my 750 #$%*es
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 09:47:28 pm »
If you can load up your bike, there is a ride on saturday, garanteed to be a few sohc hondas in the mix.
I farted and made my son cry.
1973 Honda CB 750
1975 GL 1000
1975 Yamaha XS650 The Swamp Donkey

Offline jabbadeznuts

• Hot Shot
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 10:43:53 pm »
If you can load up your bike, there is a ride on saturday, garanteed to be a few sohc hondas in the mix.

More details please!! ;D ;D ;D
'75 CB550
'82 Suzuki GN125 - glad to be rid of that thing.

Offline mrblasty

• Expertly
  • Expert
  • I can bunny hop my 750 #$%*es
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 11:20:07 pm »
Flying 15 Motorcycle Club welcomes you to the 11th annual spring rally. This year once again we will be starting off at Kelly‚s Olympian 425 SW Washington St. Portland, Oregon. The ride starts at 12:00 but come early for hot coffee and breakfast specials. With a decade of spring rally‚s under are belt the FFMC Spring opener rally is growing into one of the best session openers in the northwest. The after party will be hosted by the FFMC at Sabala's (AKA) Mt. tabor theater. 4811 SE Hawthorne, Portland, OR. (503) 238-1646 and will include live bands, move premiers, Vendors, 50/50 raffle, door prizes and event awards Doors open to the public at 3:00pm. After party Truly a place to party. Sabala's has two full bars with drink specials and live bands on stage the main playing all night and in the side show lounge we will be viewing videos from some of Portland's best stunt and sport riders, vendors will be set up in the hall between. The spring rally is sure to be a blast as the numbers are truly growing with each year. After party FREE for rally participants and $10.00 Donation at the door. Doors open at 3:00pm. Come out and show your support. Sabala's Mt. tabor theater. 4811 SE Hawthorne, Portland, OR. (503) 238-1646. Registration Registration begins at 10:00 First bike out at 12:00. Ride will be approx. 96 miles long and will end at Sabala's 4811 SE Hawthorne 3:00pm. Poker run with best and worst hand prize, plus lots of door prizes, 50/50 raffle, event awards vendors and live bands. $10.00/rider Donation Fee , $10.00/passenger Donation Fee. Poker card, ride map and ticket for after party included with $10.00 Donation First 100 Riders receive a free FFMC 11th annual Spring opener ride pin. T-shirts and ride patches will also be available day of rally. Poker rules: Rules are aces high and nothing wild. First poker card chosen at Kelly's Olympian. Pick next three cards at designated stops. Each stop is open for exactly 2 hours (see map for times). Fifth and final stop is at Sabala's (AKA) Mt. tabor theater. Prizes for high hand and low hand. Registration $10.00 donation and $5.00 donation for each additional poker hand. Come join us for a great day of riding all makes and models welcome to this and all FFMC events.
I farted and made my son cry.
1973 Honda CB 750
1975 GL 1000
1975 Yamaha XS650 The Swamp Donkey