Author Topic: Cost to relace wheels?  (Read 1990 times)

Offline SClay115

• Enthusiast
Cost to relace wheels?
« on: March 24, 2007, 05:36:20 am »
I'm trying to weight my options here, to decide which direction I want to go with my project. And I think this is a general question that can be applied so most SOHC's. But what is the appoximate cost of restoring a set of spoked wheels? Assuming I do the lacing myself, so I'd buy the spokes, hoops, nipples, new bearings, and anything else I'd need, and tighten/true them myself. I know there is a post on here where people said they have done it on their own, what was the approximate cost, front and rear? Any help would be great, Thanks.

Steve

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
  • "Damn! These HM300 Pipes Are Expensive!!!"
Re: Cost to relace wheels?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 06:09:41 am »
You have a few options here.

I ordered my rim from Hondaparts-direct.com, cost around $104.00. (average dealer list is around $150.00) There are only a couple left in Honda's inventory. The Honda spokes add up to about $92.00. The spokes and spoke nipples came from PartsN'More.com and cost $29.00. I looked into stainless spokes and they ran around $100.00.

For comparison CMS sells a wheel rebuilding kit with OEM spokes and rim for 142.00 Euro, or $188.00.

As for bearings, there are lots of choices (as evidenced by some of the bearing threads). I went for the NTN (OE) Electric motor-grade double-sealed bearings and the three for the rear wheel were almost $80.00 total. Aftermarket All Balls rear bearings go for around $22.00 on various websites.

Note: all these parts and costs are for a CB750 (no model was specified). This also doesn't include other things like replacing the cush-drive rubbers, seals, tire, etc...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 06:26:45 am by Jonesy »
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

Offline SClay115

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 06:25:45 am »
You have a few options here.

I ordered my rim from Hondaparts-direct.com, cost around $104.00. (average dealer list is around $150.00) There are only a couple left in Honda's inventory. The Honda spokes add up to about $92.00. The spokes and spoke nipples came from PartsN'More.com and cost $29.00. I looked into stainless spokes and they ran around $100.00.

For comparison CMS sells a wheel rebuilding kit with OEM spokes and rim for 142.00 Euro, or $188.00.

As for bearings, there are lots of choices (as evidenced by some of the bearing threads). I went for the NTN (OE) Electric motor-grade double-sealed bearings and the three for the rear wheel were almost $80.00 total. Aftermarket All Balls rear bearings go for around $22.00 on various websites.

So you personally spent like 200$ish on the rear right? I was referring to your thread above, where several people said they did the same. Figured you might chime in here, I appreciate the response, that's about the figure I had added up in my head...

Steve

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
  • "Damn! These HM300 Pipes Are Expensive!!!"
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 06:29:21 am »
Yeah, that's about right (I try not to add up too many of the costs incurred with redoing the bike or I'd have a heart attack!).

As I added, this doesn't take into accound all the other things you could replace to make the wheel (the rear one in my case) "brand-new".
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

Offline 736cc

• Master
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 11:20:05 am »
 New Honda rear hub costs... $575...front hub....$505. Ouch. And if you are using a "used' hub, how are you re-finishing it? Remember, its not mirror-polished from the factory, its virgin aluminum w/ lacquer clearcoat. A practical compromise would be to source a very nice used hub, I've gotten decent results that way, but its not not the top-quality if you want concours. I've also had my hubs vapor-blasted then I cleared them w/ Eastwoods rattle can, which looks very fresh. A third alternative is a used hub, stripped of lacquer, etched w/ hydroflouric acid, then rubbing it out w/ 0000 steel wool w/o using ANY polishing paste. Then clear w/ Eastwood.
Lotsa work. Wonderful results.

Offline SClay115

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 11:51:26 am »
Yeaaaaah, little pricey with OEM hubs me thinks. I was asking because I'm in the middle of deciding whether to run late model alloys, much like Greg from the Ohiocaferacer.com site, or relacing the factory hubs. Love the spokes, but sadly, looks like I'll be going with the alloys, if not just for cost...

Steve

Offline SClay115

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 08:39:17 pm »
Ok, so I've decided that I do actually want to lace up my own wheels, and I'm wondering, besides what was mentioned above, anyone know where to get spokes? I have a 72' Cb350 Twin, and spokes aren't listed on that site for it. I found these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140100071670&rd=1,1

And am reluctant because of two things...huge shipping time, and well, it's from way over there, so basically no support. Let me know if anyone knows of any other places. Or of any other way to get spokes and such, as I'm looking to buy them very soon...

Thanks
Steve