Author Topic: Cam cover gasket  (Read 1269 times)

Offline 6adan

• Hot Shot
Cam cover gasket
« on: March 23, 2007, 06:44:54 am »
I need to replace the cam cover gasket 70 CB750K ,but I hate to have to pull the engine. I read on here where when someone worked at a dealer they did this without removing the engine. My question is how was this done?Details please. Thanks Dannie
1970 CB750 JDM,1975 GL1000, 1979 GL1000, 1979 CBX, 1995 GL1500, 2000 GL1500CT Valkyrie, 2008 GL1800 Trike.

kettlesd

Re: Cam cover gasket
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 08:59:35 am »
Sorry, the 750's have to be removed from the frame to remove the Valvecover. There's been a few that have modified the frame using bolt-in sections to access it, but those are the only options.

I used to dread removing the engine, but it gets easier. Lay 'er on its side and its not too bad. Try working on a modern liquid-cooled sportbike engine - gives you good perspective as to just how mechanic-friendly these SOHC motors are!!!!

Offline Donzon

• Enthusiast
  • CB750K4
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 09:05:40 am »
I believe someone said you could  lift the cover enough to clean out the old gasket and ease the new one over the cover and into place.  Sounds a bit tricky, but a whole lot less so than pulling the monster motor.  Mine is out right now  :P

Don

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 09:54:25 am »
I also seem to remember someone saying they were successful in stretching the new gasket over the valve cover with the engine still in the frame.  I would think the hardest part would be makiing sure you got all of the old gasket out so you have a clean, smooth surface for the new one to seal on.  This method has all the hallmarks of one of those "short-cuts" that end up being more time and trouble than the original method would have been. 

Try loosening and re-torquing the valve cover screws to see if you can get a better seal with the existing gasket. 

upperlake04

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 09:59:43 am »
That was Oldfarts post. It can be done as Gordon says, if there isn't too much gasket scraping.
http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=15529.0

Offline oldfart

• Enthusiast
    • The Motorcycle Project
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 12:00:17 pm »
If you do a search, you will probably find that it was me that made the comment.  Yes, you can replace the cam cover gasket in the frame.  I didn't say it was easy, I only said you could do it.  The gasket can be weasled into place without breaking it, if you're careful and keep your wits about you.  Old time Honda techs would remember this, as we regularly got the factory to pay us for the longer time.  The only difficulty is if someone glued the existing gasket on, because there really isn't room to scrape the gasket surfaces using this method.   :) 
Mike Nixon
Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?

www.motorcycleproject.com

Offline rhinoracer

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 12:07:16 pm »
wouldn't it be easier to just use Hondabond or permatex instead of a gasket?
Baja native.

Offline oldfart

• Enthusiast
    • The Motorcycle Project
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 12:16:12 pm »
Neither of those materials should be used on any Asian bike engine gasket surface, with or without a gasket.  In the case of the SOHC 750 cam cover, the tach drive probably would bind and not work, and tear the cam up, if you didn't have a gasket in place.  Sealers never take the place of gaskets or o-rings except it very limited application.  For example, the crankcases, which must mate together properly and due to stresses would probably shift in respect to each other under load if there was a gasket.  Ditto the rocker box areas of some engines, which are designed to mate closely and thus no gasket is designed in.  Some newer Hondas and other bikes are running sealer instead of a gasket now on clutch covers, from the factory.  But these are exceptions to the rule, and in every case, very precise machining and considerations for load/precision fit are at play.   :)   
Mike Nixon
Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?

www.motorcycleproject.com