Author Topic: Pissed - Damn Left sidecover  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
Pissed - Damn Left sidecover
« on: March 26, 2007, 01:08:01 pm »
I'm Pissed, I just lost my nice paint Planet Blue left sidecover in the left lane of the highway today. What gets me it that the sicker was on there tight. Arghhhhhh!!!!! I haven't gone back to see what was left of it yet, going to go when traffic is peak to see if I can spot it at slower speed (provided there is anything left at all).
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
Re: Pissed - Damn Left sidecover
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 01:31:03 pm »
I remember feeling something hit my leg very lightly, thought it was my pants cuff at the time (and since I was doing 70 I wasn't about to look down). If it is where I think it is then it is at a part of the highway with no shoulder and a blind crest. not the place I want to stop and do a search. Going to head out now to look for it.
Maintenance Matters Most

eldar

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 02:53:24 pm »
That is the one bad thing about the stock sidecovers.  It is the one thing I do like about the meiers though. They bolt on! I hope you find that sucker though. I wich mine were still in good shape instead of getting pounded to pieces by hail.

Shadowjack1020

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 05:54:33 pm »
I lost a left one the same way years ago. Never found it.  Seems like everybody must lose theirs also--have you seen what those buggers go for on ebay? Never any problem with the right sides--the oil cap holds them on, seems like.

Offline chippyfive50

• Hot Shot
  • NO PEE ON TEPEE
    • thesweetimpala
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 06:36:03 pm »
PISSED yes sir. I rode my survivor K4 yesterday for the first time this season, and went to start it today.. I left the effing key on..dead batt.
upon battery removal I found my 750Four badge loose & down to one pin, just waiting for the road....lucky day
SOHC Member#4000
71' 500K0 #1021237--E1108327
78' 550
72' 750K2(sold to "Craig")
74' 750K4 #2306334--E2303422
73' CL175
http://gallery.sohc4.net/main.php?g2_itemId=14013

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 09:21:02 pm »
Recovered - boy did I get lucky. One thing I will say is that these sidecovers are made hella tough. I found it on the right side of the highwya (I was in the left lane) face up. The cover was not broken or cracked and the emblems and pegs were intact. the bad is that the paint is scuffed and also a has begun to spiderweb. I was damn lucky. I went to put it on and that sucker was tight, I must have knocked it loose with my boot or something because was still really on there when I went to take it off again. I had to sit in 40 minutes of bumper to bumper rush hour traffic to get it back though.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline Steve F

• I have "some-timer's disease" because I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • "To Ride Is The Reason, The Destination The Excuse
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 01:38:14 am »
What I've done to keep the side covers is to tether them to the frame using a 10" piece of vinyl covered 1/16" aircraft cable.  That allow me to remove the cover and place it up on the seat while working on the bike.  It also discourages the "bargain hunters" at bike gatherings when they see vintage 750F side covers without a "For Sale" sign on them.  ;)  BTW, make sure that if you do go the route as I described, that the cable is insulated....especially on the electrics side!

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 08:06:18 am »
What I've done to keep the side covers is to tether them to the frame using a 10" piece of vinyl covered 1/16" aircraft cable.  That allow me to remove the cover and place it up on the seat while working on the bike.  It also discourages the "bargain hunters" at bike gatherings when they see vintage 750F side covers without a "For Sale" sign on them.  ;)  BTW, make sure that if you do go the route as I described, that the cable is insulated....especially on the electrics side!

got any pics?
Maintenance Matters Most

eldar

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 09:01:29 am »
Who cares about the paint, you got it back! That is a miracle in itself! Paint can be redone, your cover is much ahrder to replace. I dont know how you got lucky enough that no one drove over it! ???

Offline paxtonpony

• Hot Shot
  • Up the Irons!
    • My Pics
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 10:32:01 am »
Yep, same thing happened to my left side cover.  I got real lucky that I found mine.  Was a bummer because I had just posted pics of all the work I did piecing it together and painting it myself.  A week later it fell off and got all scratched and chipped up.  I've been trying to come up with a good way to secure it.  I personally thing the bottom peg is the weak link to these.  I zip tied the bottom to the frame for now.  Sucks but at least it hasn't come off.
1969 CB750K - Wrecked
1978 CB750K - Sold
1992 GS500 Streetfighter - Sold
1975 CB750F - Sold (sniff, sniff)
1994 VFR750F - Sold
1990 GSXR 750 - Sold
1999 CBR1100XX - Sold
2000 Triumph Legend TT - Bike of the week for me?
1992 Mustang - Paxton powered (12.02@115mph on street tires) and For Sal

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 01:25:22 pm »
you guys ain't kidding - It let go at 70mph in the left lane of the highway and made it all the way to the right lane without cracking or breaking or losing an emblem. I am still astonished. I was only pissed about the paint because it was an original paint sidecover that someone had put extra clear on (which is what is now cracking) and some of the paint rubbed off to the plastic.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline Steve F

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 05:11:43 am »

got any pics?

Offline Steve F

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 05:12:44 am »

got any pics?