Author Topic: 550 Wiring, Help Appreciated  (Read 1330 times)

ScottB

550 Wiring, Help Appreciated
« on: March 31, 2007, 07:43:42 pm »
A few months ago I purchased a 76 550 for around $400.  The previous owner said that all it really needed was a fresh carb tune and that was it.  It was dark and I took the bait.  When I got home I discovered the real situation:  wiring cluster.  That and the carbs needing a complete rebuild, rotten exhaust and much, much more.  The forums have been a huge help with the carbs (one still leaks when the bike is straight up) along with being a great resource on information.  This brings me to my point:  There is a connector which seems to have no corresponding end.  I have searched the forums as well as my non color-coded Clymer to no avail. 

It seems like there is a lot of extra wiring in the harness.  Has anyone cleaned it up before?  Are you supposed to stuff the extra wiring into the headlight housing?  Any points of direction are welcome.  Attached are pictures of the connector as well as the bike for good measure.

liaudio

Re: 550 Wiring, Help Appreciated
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 09:56:28 pm »
Does the bike have spark? 
To test for spark, remove a spark plug, re-attach it to the spark plug wire, and groud out the spark plug against the motor.  When you crank it over you should see a blue spark.  If not, you will have to be a little more specific with your wiring problems.

Offline HITMAN

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 10:13:33 pm »
Besides being a standard 'flat-4' trailer plug, that would be the same wiring that was included for my sidecar.  Unless they used it for something else, that would be my guess.  Have you touched it with a multi meeter/light to see how it is configured?

I have also seen them used on fairing applications.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 10:15:44 pm by HITMAN »
1974 Honda CB550F
1984 Honda GL1200A
2003 Honda CBR1100XX

Offline cafe75-550

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 10:44:11 pm »
Hmmmm. Doesn't look like any stock 550 connection that I've seen... ???
New bike!
'07 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
Never enough projects!
'75 CB550 "Cafe", '76 CB550 parts bike
'64 Norton Atlas featherbed/'71 Triumph 750 Triple (Triton project)
'68 BSA Thunderbolt (frame and cases, project in the wings)
'57 Triumph Thunderbird (frame and mostly complete engine)

ScottB

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 11:15:20 pm »
Hmmmm. Doesn't look like any stock 550 connection that I've seen... ???

Besides being a standard 'flat-4' trailer plug, that would be the same wiring that was included for my sidecar. Unless they used it for something else, that would be my guess. Have you touched it with a multi meeter/light to see how it is configured?

I have also seen them used on fairing applications.

These are  probably the answer I am looking for, thanks.

liaudio - Sorry I wasn't more clear, but I'm not having spark issues.  I was just confused on the mess of wires that is my bike.

Here is another picture of the whole jumble.

Offline MoTo-BunnY

• The 'Torque 'er Down 'till it Strips Then Back 'er Off a Quarter Turn', Type of
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB500 ~ member #3791
    • http://instagram.com/moto_bunny#
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 01:22:43 am »
That looks very similar to the connector I noticed on my old Vetter fairing. . .

As far as the jumble o' wires goes, I was looking at the same thing on my bike courtesy of APO (©Terry from Australia for '***hole previous owner)  . .. soooo after many moons of frustration with bizarro wiring problems, I ended up going through the whole wiring, pretty much. I cleaned all the connections with a small round wire brush (a .22 cleaning brush, I think?) and I used dielectric grease on them all on reconnection. I found several connections that weren't snapped in place, as well as sporadic verdigris (green corrosion).

The real catcher was the rear tailight hot wire (brown) that had worn through and was grounding out on the fender. I kept wondering why my battery would die on long rides even though everything tested fine when I would trouble shoot it. Well, I wasn't trouble shooting with the headlight/tail light on.  *duh*

Since someone has gotten into that wiring and did some wiring mods, I would be double checking against your wiring diagram, maybe redo it stock. . .neva know. I saw a VW van once that the radio went on and off with the turn signal because of some idiots wiring. .  .LOL.

*good luck*  old wiring can really suck sometimes. . .  . .
---> instagram.com/moto_bunny# <---

[img width= height=]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3440/3846213109_ae572002d4_o.gif[/img]

hoppin' on down the bunny trail . . .

1973 Honda CB500K2
1970 Ding-How aka Nova R-S w/3.5HP Tecumseh MiniBike
1970 Taco Model 22 deluxe w/3.0HP Briggs & Stratton MiniBike
1973 GMC Vandura 3/4 Ton Van (350CID V8)
1973 Dodge "Chinook" RV (360CID V8)
1985 Toyota Tercel Wagon SR5 (4WD - 3A engine)
1982 Toyota Pickup Truck (2WD - 22R engine)
1962? DriveX Pack-Mule (Tote-Gote clone)
1989 VW Jetta GLi 16V
1991 Diamondback Mtn. Bike