Author Topic: Charger + Battery = Overload?  (Read 1593 times)

Offline bilturner

Charger + Battery = Overload?
« on: April 01, 2007, 01:59:25 pm »
After my head gasket replacement, I had to crank the engine a while to get it to start.  I inadvertently ran the engine (revved a bit, too) for while, with the battery and charger connected. Discovered it, disconnected it, and continued running the engine for about 10 minutes....  Shut it down, and after wards the battery was totally drained ....  I suspect I toasted my charging system.  Would running with both the charger and battery connected toast the generator or the rectifier...?  or do I have to meter it to track down the problem...?

Offline number13

• Hot Shot
  • 1973 CB500, 2002 VT750DC
    • Sound Exchange
Re: Charger + Battery = Overload?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 02:49:34 pm »
If I am reding this correctly you had the charger hooked up the
battery while the battery was connected to the bike's
electrical system?
If that is so, you have killed your rectifier.
You must always DISCONNECT the battery before
charging.
Sorry.

Bikes parked out front mean good chicken-fried steak inside.

Dave L

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 03:34:20 pm »
Hi
I charged and ran mine with the battery charger connected, not the best idea i know but i was so fed up with trying to get it to run at the time,
and the battery would soon run down with the constant use of the starter motor!!
As i say not the best idea but do check the fuses you may be ok .

This was with a 550f2
hope this is of some help if not its not to hard to check the rectifier

DAVE

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 03:42:17 pm »
I have run many bikes with battery chargers attached, with no damage to any components.   The practice is NOT garranteed to ruin rectifiers.

However, if your battery charger put a high enough voltage on the rectifier, that would do it (exceeding the peak voltage rating).  I couldn't predict damage unless I knew the specifications on the charger used or if the battery became disconnected from the bikes charging system.

Reversing the polarity, almost always destroys rectifiers and maybe some of the wiring, too.

You may have a bad rectifier.  But, I think it best to charge the battery, and then check the chraging system with a multimeter.

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.