Author Topic: '76 CB750 Chop  (Read 4443 times)

Midlife750

'76 CB750 Chop
« on: June 21, 2005, 11:36:04 am »
    How far over stock length can you go on the forks before you run into steering geometry problems...? I was thinking about 8" over stock...is this too far? Also, what are the differences between 750 A, K1 & F models?

Thanks!

Mike

Offline MikeDeB

• Enthusiast
Re: '76 CB750 Chop
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 11:42:17 am »
    How far over stock length can you go on the forks before you run into steering geometry problems...? I was thinking about 8" over stock...is this too far? Also, what are the differences between 750 A, K1 & F models?

Thanks!

Mike

If you're going to chop it sell it to me and buy a Kaw, Suz or Yam to chop.  Honda CB750s shouldn't be chopped.  Breaks my heart to see this.   :(
Mike (Old SOHC/4 #2641)
Holt, MI
71 CB750K1
72 CB750K2
72 CB100K2
97 Ducati 900 SS/SP w/FCRs
98 Ducati 750 Monster w/FCRs
80 SR500

"Growing older is inevitable, growing up is an option."

Midlife750

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 12:13:22 pm »
Actually, I'm really torn on this issue myself.... How about a vote... to chop or not to chop?

Mike

nomath

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 12:25:13 pm »
Actually, I'm really torn on this issue myself.... How about a vote... to chop or not to chop?

Mike

Not.  I'm a newbie here but I really prefer the stock look.  I've a '75 GL1000 that was bought as a project, festooned with chrome doo-dahs, bags, faring, air horns, you name it.  That's all gone now and she's being built back from a newly powder coated bare frame.   Same w/the CB500 I was given - gone are the ape hangers - replaced w/low stock bars.

My 2 cents.

doug

Offline MikeDeB

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 12:37:52 pm »
Actually, if you're going to customize one of the CB's they take to the cafe look rather well.
Mike (Old SOHC/4 #2641)
Holt, MI
71 CB750K1
72 CB750K2
72 CB100K2
97 Ducati 900 SS/SP w/FCRs
98 Ducati 750 Monster w/FCRs
80 SR500

"Growing older is inevitable, growing up is an option."

eldar

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 01:03:51 pm »
no chop! chop is bad!

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 02:19:12 pm »
Cafe
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Offline Lumbee

• Expert
    • My pics...
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 03:49:52 pm »
...I've got to chime in here.  I bought two 750's back in the spring, one complete, and the other a parts bike.  My intention was to use them both to build a chopper.  I had the stocker running in a week or so and quickly decided I wanted to keep it stock.  I have a healthly appreciation for the stock 750, and just plain love the way it rides.  But that doesn't mean I still don't love the look of a bad A$$ chop!  I'm keeping the stocker, and using the engine from the donor bike for my chop.  Check out this web site for some examples of really nice work with 750's...

http://www.cycleonemanufacturing.com/custommotorcyclescompleted.html

...also if u'r interested in chopping 750s check out www.hondachopper.com .  I would put the guys knowledge on that site up against the knowledge on the this, its just geared a little more toward chopping, and the site is totally dedicated to SOHC CB750s.  Heres is a mods timeline http://hondachopper.com/modifications.html , and the A model is the automatic...

..also check out my blog at sohc.blogspot.com ...I'm keeping a blog of my chopper progress...

have to admit this is one sweet 750!!!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 03:54:28 pm by RaDigga »
----------
"I'm not a welder, but I play one on HondaChopper.com"

Offline Tim.

• Master
  • www.DOTHETON.com
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 03:59:24 pm »
Don't just put on longer forks - that's sad sad sad.  You need different triple trees.

Check this photo out.  You'll note the bike is still 'level'.  I have NO idea where to get the required hardware however (I'm the passenger some 30 years ago).

Roule comme dans les années 70...   Roll as in the Seventies...

Offline Lumbee

• Expert
    • My pics...
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 04:06:43 pm »
...I'm with tintin on that one.  Just putting longer forks on it is not "Chopping" it.  If u'r gonna extend the forks for a "chopper" look, you want to adjust the neck to increase the rake to level the bike out.  40 degrees is generally considered the greatest amount of rake before you start to lose drivability.  Lots of guys go with custom frames that are built for 750's.  Pull all u'r components of u'r stock bike and drop'm in the frame and u'r roll'n...
----------

MetalHead550

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 06:13:40 pm »
To hell with choppers.

Offline Lumbee

• Expert
    • My pics...
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 06:17:25 pm »
...no, don't hold back MetalHead...tell us what u really think...   :D
----------

Buffo

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 06:29:27 pm »
...if you hack, urr uh, i mean chop, that just makes my cafe look that much cooler.

Don

Offline mutters

• Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 10:52:14 pm »
If you must ch....ch.....chop the poor thing it has to be full on , new frame , the whole works.

nothing looks worse( to me ) than a half baked job with extended front end
I know its only rock and roll,
but I like it...

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 11:25:55 pm »
There's nothing wrong with a tasteful chop like that one in the pic, and I agree with mutters, a pair of pullbacks and a set of dirt bike forks do not a chopper make, same for people who put a pair of flat bars on an otherwise stock bike and call it a "cafe racer", ha ha!

What I do hate though, is some wanker taking a beautiful original (or beautifully restored) bike that has survived all of these "fashions" over 30-odd years as a basis for a chop, (or a cafe for that matter) when there are heaps of poor sad old dungers out there just waiting for you to breathe life back into them.

I restored a Kawasaki Z750 years ago and went to great lengths to match the original paint and decals etc, and sold it in "as new" condition. Next time I saw it the new owner had painted the whole thing "matt black", because he'd just seen "Mad Max" ("Road Warrior" in the US) and liked "the look"! I nearly throttled him! Just my $0.02, but I say a little respect goes a long way. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

cub

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2005, 01:54:23 am »
My vote is chop. Get a more personal look. There are enough stock bikes in the world.

Also stock people always seems to think that mofications to a cafe racer is ok, but choppin is bad. How come? In my world a cafe racer is also a chopper. If you modified the bike by takeing some things away it's chopped. A chopper isn't based on longer forks..=)

Midlife750

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2005, 04:23:26 am »
    Thanks to all of those who replied so far! I posted a poll in the open forum with several choices there to pick from.  After much thought, I'm beginning to move away from the chop idea... and I don't have the cash to do it complete.. (rake the head, traditional hardtail frame, etc..). Perhaps the cafe look... what are the marks of the cafe look? Sport fairing, (already has Kerker header), sport seat, etc.??

Thanks again,
Mike

cub

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2005, 04:31:43 am »
That's why I treasure the bobber idea so much. No raking, not necessary hardtail etc. Use what you have or can get your hands on cheap. Struts instead of hardtail? Shorter shocks?

Going for a cafe racer or back to stock is not cheap. Well, depending on the condition of the bike today that is. But just getting stock exhaust will cost a minor fortune.

Offline nteek754

• Hot Shot
  • 1973 K3/750/836/70 1970 750 chopper 1973 cafe
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2005, 04:33:01 am »
Mike
to answer your question 8 over on a stock frame rake is very user friendly  ;ast year I aquired a  stock 1970 frame that someone already cut the  frame up by the side of the gas tank and mounted a coffin tank NO GUYS I would of never cut her up myself but I do have five other frames from 70 to 75 I made some bolt on struts so I could lower her as much as possible  king queen seat pull back bars forward control and I took the half of an engine off and put on a donated 78 engine it is a sweet ride lot of fun to drive now you start playing with rake and trail you can get into to trouble if you go too far  I almost was gonna do a bit more rake but decided not to mess with that  now this one isnt my primary ride that would be my baby  a 1973 K 750 800 miles this year to Laconia bike week and all over N H  the onle problem with the chopper is small tank and no reserve well my reserve is a mountain dew bottle Im just too use to useing the reserve on my K 3 so I have run out of gas a couple times  hey chop it up
seven fifty four ever its not the destination its the journey Ive been collecting these old dinasours for 33 years . they are quite an ICON

Offline nteek754

• Hot Shot
  • 1973 K3/750/836/70 1970 750 chopper 1973 cafe
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2005, 04:38:25 am »
Mike
to answer your question 8 over on a stock frame rake is very user friendly  ;ast year I aquired a  stock 1970 frame that someone already cut the  frame up by the side of the gas tank and mounted a coffin tank NO GUYS I would of never cut her up myself but I do have five other frames from 70 to 75 I made some bolt on struts so I could lower her as much as possible  king queen seat pull back bars forward control and I took the half of an engine off and put on a donated 78 engine it is a sweet ride lot of fun to drive now you start playing with rake and trail you can get into to trouble if you go too far  I almost was gonna do a bit more rake but decided not to mess with that  now this one isnt my primary ride that would be my baby  a 1973 K 750 800 miles this year to Laconia bike week and all over N H  the onle problem with the chopper is small tank and no reserve well my reserve is a mountain dew bottle Im just too use to useing the reserve on my K 3 so I have run out of gas a couple times  hey chop it up
seven fifty four ever its not the destination its the journey Ive been collecting these old dinasours for 33 years . they are quite an ICON

MetalHead550

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2005, 06:18:51 am »
I restored a Kawasaki Z750 years ago and went to great lengths to match the original paint and decals etc, and sold it in "as new" condition. Next time I saw it the new owner had painted the whole thing "matt black", because he'd just seen "Mad Max" ("Road Warrior" in the US) and liked "the look"! I nearly throttled him! Just my $0.02, but I say a little respect goes a long way. Cheers, Terry. 

Yeah, Madd Max will do that to ya.  I remember after watching it, I grew a giant purple and black mohawk and took to wearing a loin cloth and football pads with spikes stuck in em and not bathing for weeks on end.  Next thing I knew I was roving the country side in ramshackle dune buggies and dirt bikes, screamin and carrying on and attacking cars with makshift melee weapons....all for a precious tank of "juice."  Crazy Aussies!  :D ;)