Author Topic: more help please....  (Read 1877 times)

stanghater

more help please....
« on: June 21, 2005, 10:10:42 pm »
so some of you read about my posts about what i have been going through. My bike had some flat spots.... I took off the plug wires, there wasnt even a wire inside, got new ones. took apart the carbs, they looked real good, clean them and put back together. had a stuck float fixed it. well i just went and rode it, now it revs good to 6k but is dead after that. i remember you guys saying something aobut my iginiition?  maybe?

Offline oldbiker

• Expert
  • I HATE RAIN
Re: more help please....
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 02:25:21 am »
Are you sure the auto-advance isn't stuck. It sounds as though the timing is a bit out.

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 03:24:43 am »
Doesn't the advance mech. top-out at around 3K rpm? This condition sounds familiar re: earlier posts. Maybe do a seach with the terms "flat" and "spot" might bring them up.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

stanghater

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 08:41:59 am »
im new at this so where is this auto advance?? i just rode it, it used to have like a cutout and now it just has nothing above 5 or 6 k

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 09:04:10 am »
The auto advance unit is behind the points plate. If you peer through the hole you use to set the timing, as you rotate the crank, you will see some sets of springs and posts go by. This is part of the advance mechanism. It is centrifugal in terms of its operation. The springs keep things tidy during idle, as the engine speed picks up, small weights begin to act and mechanically advance the timing accordingly, but I believe, though am not positive, the advance is as far as it is going to go by 3K rpm.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 09:50:56 am »
The auto advance unit is behind the points plate. If you peer through the hole you use to set the timing, as you rotate the crank, you will see some sets of springs and posts go by. This is part of the advance mechanism. It is centrifugal in terms of its operation. The springs keep things tidy during idle, as the engine speed picks up, small weights begin to act and mechanically advance the timing accordingly, but I believe, though am not positive, the advance is as far as it is going to go by 3K rpm.
Yep.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

pbelanger

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 12:22:41 pm »
You say it has nothing above 5 - 6krpms?

Mmm... Once, I experienced the same thing. I was going down a nice, long straight. I thought "this might be fun, to open the old girl a bit". So I did: around 5k, started gurgling like crazy. I took a quicl glance at the petcock valve, my first guess. And what did I see? I forgot to fully close the choke, it was still halfway open. Closed it full, the girl started to go nice again. That just means that when I opened the throttle, the bike was getting too much gas and not enough air. Which, to me, sounds like what you're experiencing.

So... maybe you could do a rapid check on your bike. Remove the fuel tank and air box, and take a look at what's going on when you operate the choke lever. 2 things to look for:

(1) Does it open / close all the way through?
(2) Does it act the same on all 4 carburators?

Just a guess, but might be worth the try.

Let us know.

regards,

Paul

stanghater

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 02:59:41 pm »
i thought of thaqt choke too and checked it already... new breakthrough!!!! i guess i just need to burn all the richness out? i got it on the freeway today and got it up to 80mph on the way to work.  i was amazed, on the way back it ran good up to about 8k and then started doing its thing again. then i got off the freeway and it started runninglike total crap but not as bad as when the old float needles were in. basically, after its really warm, it runs like butt. it kinda cuts in and out..... any ideas?

Offline Robert

• Enthusiast
  • Sorry for my English
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 03:14:07 pm »
...yeah it`s the ignition, check your old thread ;-) timing light etc.pp.