Author Topic: DIY replacement body panels  (Read 15810 times)

Offline francisew

• Francis
  • Francis Esmonde-White
    • Esmonde-White.com
Re: DIY replacement body panels? Advice please.
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2007, 05:56:38 pm »
Hi,

That sounds like a great method. I have cast things in liquid rubber before, but it was really expensive. The liquid plastic I have used was also really expensive. The second problem is that my side panels aren't in great shape, so they needed reworking before I could cast a mold.

Maybe on an industrial scale the rubbers and plastics are not expensive, but 1L of liquid rubber is 60$, and the liquid plastics are similarly expensive. That's before factoring in difficulties with getting air bubble incorporated into the urethane while trying to mix it up with household/homebrew tools.

Do you have any ideas where I'd be able to find liquid rubber/liquid plastic/release agent cheaply? I'd love to follow that method, only I can't afford it! I'd love to see a more indepth FAQ for your panel making method.

I have purchased plastics at Sial Poterie (in Laval, Quebec, Canada, http://www.sialcorp.com/). They have the "Smooth-On" line of liquid rubbers and plastics http://www.smooth-on.com/, as well as various dyes and things to mix into the urethanes for colour. Unfortunately, they're really expensive. They're made for the movie/special effects industry & priced accordingly.

Thanks,
Francis

81cb650C

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2007, 06:21:26 pm »
Smooth on is the company I have previously delt with and buying in larger quantities is cheaper.  They do offer trial size containers of both the mold rubber and plastics which are a lot cheaper but your right in that it does appear that it will cost around 65 dollars.  Im thinking I might just make these plastics and put them on a website for sale.  Maybe even get some different years and models.  I dont know just thinking out loud.

Offline francisew

• Francis
  • Francis Esmonde-White
    • Esmonde-White.com
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2007, 09:05:30 am »
It would be very cool if you made replica panels.

Nonetheless, I'm going to keep going on my little fiberglass-epoxy panel-making expedition, and see how things turn out. I'm also going to make a new tail-light mounting plastic because I want to add a second rear-LED with the same socket... For that I can probably just make an ABS plastic replica of the original, cut some socket mounting holes, and fiberglass over the ABS for strength.

It's too bad that new panels are currently so hard to come by, though I guess some models are already available really cheaply... (for example the 30$ panel at the JCwhitney link by ic455 on April 19 in this thread)

Francis

Smooth on is the company I have previously delt with and buying in larger quantities is cheaper.  They do offer trial size containers of both the mold rubber and plastics which are a lot cheaper but your right in that it does appear that it will cost around 65 dollars.  Im thinking I might just make these plastics and put them on a website for sale.  Maybe even get some different years and models.  I dont know just thinking out loud.

Offline HRC1966

Re: DIY replacement body panels
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2012, 01:45:23 pm »
I would like to see whats come of this effort making these side covers as i have a near on perfect original set right and left side covers that i will be replicating soon.  I also have originals in the CM400C, CB650C,  CB750C, CB900c, CB1000c, CB750Sc Nighthawk, CB650Sc Nighthawk both versions, CB550Sc Nighthawk (right), Cb450Sc Nighthawk (right) and the CB700S Nighthawk (right) and lastly the VT700C (left)

I also replicate the lugs and posts from the originals so they fit right.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 02:05:51 pm by HRC1966 »
CB750C Exclusive

Offline francisew

• Francis
  • Francis Esmonde-White
    • Esmonde-White.com
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2012, 08:05:21 pm »
I haven't worked on the panels in quite some time. I'm now living in the US, and don't ride my bike often (though my wife has a second 83 nighthawk 650). Our bikes have been vandalized a couple of times in the only place we can park near our house... so for the moment we have them in storage.

In the interim, I have worked with the Smooth On liquid rubbers for a number of unrelated projects, and now know how to properly make molds for replicating things like the body panels. Since I don't have a garage, it would be very difficult for me to make them right now. I would be happy to give you some feedback on how to best make replicas.

A method like the following using a brush-on rubber would probably work well: http://www.smooth-on.com/gallery.php?galleryid=131 Otherwise, a solid block mold could be cast around the panel, but it might be tricky to remove from the mold without breaking the pegs unless a low-hardness rubber is used.

If you do make nice molds, I'd be interested in getting some replica panels... ours have been damaged by vandalism (though the fiberglass panel I made is still ok- despite some imperfections that resulted from my original vacuum forming method of duplicating it).

Offline HRC1966

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2012, 10:52:44 pm »
Good Morning,

I get my moulds made by a professional, costs me money but is is worth it.

If you go on ebay and Put in "Honda CB750SC Nighthawk 1982/82 right side cover" it should show what i make..

This is a link to one of my covers, Have a look at my other items. It has taken my two years and a few thousnd pounds to get this far.. I will be getting the CB650 SC covers replicated soon.
CB750C Exclusive