Author Topic: How long did your project take?  (Read 2078 times)

Offline SClay115

• Enthusiast
How long did your project take?
« on: April 14, 2007, 06:06:34 am »
I'm just curious, as I'm really on this knife edge between selling the Cafe project and finishing it, I think I will kick myself for not finishing it, but at the same time I feel it will take quite a while to finish it up. So I'm curious, how long did yours take? Or how long has it been taking(if it is still in the works)?

Steve

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
Re: How long did your project take?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 06:18:17 am »
Started December 2005...aint finished yet, but I can start it, ride it, and stop it confidently...and it looks reasonable, still cosmetically a long way to go. All electrics working as well... still a few mechanical checks to finalise... save more money....

Offline doug_id

• Hot Shot
    • My Cafe 550 Project Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 06:41:54 am »
I'm just curious, as I'm really on this knife edge between selling the Cafe project and finishing it, I think I will kick myself for not finishing it, but at the same time I feel it will take quite a while to finish it up. So I'm curious, how long did yours take? Or how long has it been taking(if it is still in the works)?

Steve

Well, if you think you will kick yourself....then don't sell it.   Just keep plugging away on it.....my two cents.   ;) ;D
02 Concours
78 CB550
06 Stella 150 2t Scooter

Offline Steve F

• I have "some-timer's disease" because I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • "To Ride Is The Reason, The Destination The Excuse
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 07:00:07 am »
Almost 3 years, but I just took my time to get things the way I wanted.  Still futzing around with it....you'll never really be "done".
At one point, I almost lost interest, and didn't do anything for almost 10 months.  Glad I kept it since it's my favorite ride now.

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 07:02:33 am »
My CB750 took about two years to get it where it is today.
Keep in mind I was riding the bike the whole time, and spent the rainy days in the garage changing things. The CB450 project (which is almost done) has took about 7 months thus far..

Keep your project, finish it , and ride the tires offa it...
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

Offline Spikeybike

• when planting C4 at your enemy's base make sure you don't use a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • member #1150
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 08:13:17 am »
my 550 took 8 years!!  between haveing a kid and finishing school and any other curve ball life throws.
just be patiant, if you think you might regret it , you most likely will.

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 08:13:53 am »
When I used to work at a motorcycle shop in New Orleans, we used to crank out a restoration a week (one guy handling the engine rebuilds, if it needed it, and another handeling the cosmetics and assembly). Of course these were small italian bikes and vespas so they were considerably less work than out SOHC4s. The shortest amount of time I took a cb750 from wreck to running was two months and that was working nights and weekends on it for about 3-4 hours a night. On the flip side I have projects I am still working on two years later and they are no where close to finished.

Take a break from it, take like a week off just in case you are burned out and it has gotten to you. If you have the money, farm some things out for a while. I don't know how far along into your project you are so I can't say whether giving up right now in favor of a better running bike is a good idea or not, but my gut is that it is better to make a little more progress and finish than give up. One thing that always used to help me was to get the bike looking like a bike. If I was down to the frame, when I got to the rolling chassis stage I felt like I was making progress and was reenergized....maybe you should see how close you are to that kind of milestone and try to get to it.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline SClay115

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 08:52:58 am »

Take a break from it, take like a week off just in case you are burned out and it has gotten to you. If you have the money, farm some things out for a while. I don't know how far along into your project you are so I can't say whether giving up right now in favor of a better running bike is a good idea or not, but my gut is that it is better to make a little more progress and finish than give up. One thing that always used to help me was to get the bike looking like a bike. If I was down to the frame, when I got to the rolling chassis stage I felt like I was making progress and was reenergized....maybe you should see how close you are to that kind of milestone and try to get to it.

Yeah that's the problem I have now, the bike is totally disassembled, engine is together, but everything else is apart, and it looks very, "un-bike" like. I need to get the front end and the rear swingarm sprung so people can look at it and see that it is a bike. I think that would help...if I were to sell the project, I would probably do so to buy another SOHC, and that would be a milder project..I just really, really want to get on the road(no bike at the moment).

Steve

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 08:58:52 am »
Mine will be two years in June since I bought it. There were times when everything was disassembled that I got disillusioned, but when you feel like that, just keep saying to yourself: "back to work". When things start to take longer that you expect, you can think about taking shortcuts. Don't do it. Do everything the best you can do. If you planned to chrome those parts, then do it. If you can't assemble the front end because now that the lower legs are off it only takes a couple of hours to polish, then do it.

What I've found is that, when you do in in your spare time, you need to find a slot of few hours to fell as working in the bike. Otherwise, if you had to change clothes, take out the tools etc, you spent most of the time on the preparations. When I have had more progress has been when I have had some vacation, so I could work 6 or 7 hours straight on the garage.

Raul

Offline kslrr

• There is always a Blaster when there is a
  • Master
  • Raising her up right!
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 09:40:33 am »
Lets see.  Got the bike in the late '70's and started small mod's right away, one of which was a new Barnett clutch.  In 1983 rebuilt the top end, installed Excel ignition coils and wires, had the cam reground and tuned the carbs and exhaust system..  Complete take down and rebuild in 1986 including the first redesign of the electrical system.  Got married in 1989 and did not touch it until I got divorced in 2002.  Then started the second redesign of the electrical system, air intake system, etc.  So it has been a 25 year project!
Now  1972 CB350FX (experimental v2.0)
        1981 CB650c Custom with '79 engine (wifes)
        1981 CB650 engine
        2004 HD XL883C Custom
        1977 Yamaha XS750D (in progress)
Then 1972 CL175
        1964 Yamaha YGS-1T
No ride is a Bad ride

Offline MrFry

• Enthusiast
    • T-Fry.com <--Under Construction
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 09:55:19 am »
it all depends on how much time you spend on it
i picked mine up January of this year - fixed it, rode it for a while, then started tearing it down in February - i hope to have it done by the end of the month

Offline SD750F

• Master
    • My Business Site
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 09:56:26 am »
I started my project last October. The bike ran at that time and the part that is really starting to make me mad is one, the project is in a neighbor's heated garage/workshop. So I am at his whim when I can work on it. And second I am really mad at some outside contractors (sand blasting, welding, and powder coating) who say a couple of days to a week up front, then 4 weeks later you have to call to get it out of their shop.

I wish I had a more complete shop of my own... Then I could be mad only at myself.

Scott

Offline WJL75

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 01:21:33 pm »
Is a project ever really done?  I can always find something I'd like to tweak or change on my bike.
wjl75

1976 CB550K Cafe

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
  • "Damn! These HM300 Pipes Are Expensive!!!"
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 01:28:18 pm »
Is a project ever really done? I can always find something I'd like to tweak or change on my bike.

Exactly. 3 years so far for my rolling restoration and it's still not finished...
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

Offline MoTo-BunnY

• The 'Torque 'er Down 'till it Strips Then Back 'er Off a Quarter Turn', Type of
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB500 ~ member #3791
    • http://instagram.com/moto_bunny#
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 02:18:10 pm »
My bike has been a project since I got it. .  .almost a year, but this winter was the biggest salvo of mods. It was getting frustrating about a month ago when we had this odd oasis of beautiful weather for a couple of weeks. I live near the highway and could hear bike after bike winding it out on the straight away while out in my shed tinkering on stuff on my bike. Maaaaaan was that hard to take. .  .lol. . . I kept wanting to just half ass stuff to just get it done and ride it but instead I plodded on methodically and finally got it done (and of course, the weather then went to crap again - so it goes. . .)

I didn't quite get EVERYTHING I wanted to done, but most of it and all the biggest safety/rideability stuff. My plan now is just ride it for a while, enjoy it, and recharge MY batteries (project motivation) before doing anything else. .  . I am a big fan of tearing into only one project at a time so it isn't too overwhelming and the bike isn't down too long. I won't do any crazy tear downs to the frame or anything until I get another bike to ride while doing so.  . . .'cause riding is just TOO addictive.  . .he he he  ;D
---> instagram.com/moto_bunny# <---

[img width= height=]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3440/3846213109_ae572002d4_o.gif[/img]

hoppin' on down the bunny trail . . .

1973 Honda CB500K2
1970 Ding-How aka Nova R-S w/3.5HP Tecumseh MiniBike
1970 Taco Model 22 deluxe w/3.0HP Briggs & Stratton MiniBike
1973 GMC Vandura 3/4 Ton Van (350CID V8)
1973 Dodge "Chinook" RV (360CID V8)
1985 Toyota Tercel Wagon SR5 (4WD - 3A engine)
1982 Toyota Pickup Truck (2WD - 22R engine)
1962? DriveX Pack-Mule (Tote-Gote clone)
1989 VW Jetta GLi 16V
1991 Diamondback Mtn. Bike

Offline Patrick

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 03:09:41 pm »
I am trying to understand the concept of "done." Got my K5750 in August 2004. I've been working on it ever since. I've been riding it for more than two years, but there's always an improvement that can be made and I make them continually. At first I wanted to make it look stock. Now I want it to look like MY scoot. I change all the time. So does my ride....

Patrick
1970 CB750 K0
1982 VF750S Sabre
1987 VT1100 Shadow
1979 Yamaha XS11
1969 Yamaha DT1B
etc.

Offline jtb

• An unlikely
  • Expert
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 03:34:21 pm »
I got mine Labor Day 2003.  I'm not sure iI'll know "done" when I see it.   ;D ;D ;D
1977 CB750F
1985 V65 Sabre
1986 VFR 750 (gone but missed greatly)

TedT

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2007, 05:55:29 pm »
My GL has taken a year to do, and hopefully it'll be done by June or else I'll have to take something else on the honeymoon.   8)

Just started the research on the CB project, and being that I have (God and Mr. H willing) no repairs to do just yet to the '750, I hope to turn that out over the cold winter months here in Michigan.  I just have to convince the future Mrs. that I really do need a custom 4-into-2 high exhaust...

Offline jonbuoy

• Hot Shot
    • My rebuild:
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2007, 08:00:10 pm »
4 Months so far I still haven't finished all the fabrication yet - I estimate another 4- 6 before it will be on the road.  I'm hoping I don't ever get to the "I'm sick of this project stage". 

Offline Shenanigans

• At making holes in walls, Im a
  • Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 10:13:40 pm »
My 76 550 took about 3-4 month before being road ready. I don't think anyone is ever "done" and if you are there is probably a problem your over looking. :) I think it will be about another month or two for the cosmetic stuff but only if the excitement of her finally working does not wear off!
   This pretty much sums it up.   76' CB592 cafe. 69 750 project, 03 CBR954, 75 750 super sport.

Offline rhinoracer

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2007, 10:23:40 pm »
2 years in Sept and the bike's still in a thousand pieces. Although I suspect when parts start arriving it's gonna come together real fast. Then the small details will start popping out, so I really don't see when I'll be able to ride it. It's a fun distraction though.
Baja native.

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2007, 10:52:44 pm »
I suppose it depends a lot on your finances, and time.  If you turn a nut or do something on it every day and buying parts on Ebay and other sources doesn't stop you from eating and living then 6 months seems to be my build time.

P.S. I don't have a real job, still manage to make good $$, but am not a mechanic either ;D 

I guess if I were more mechanically inclined I could be even faster. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good luck with your project

Offline merc2dogs

• Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2007, 01:47:53 am »
I've stopped thinking of it as a project and consider it assisted evolution.
 It's never done, every change made suggests several other changes to be made, and it just keeps growing

Ken.