Poll

If It Couldn't Be A Honda *shudder* What Brand(s) of VINTAGE Motorcycle Would You Be Into?

BMW
BSA
Ducati
Royal Enfield
Harley-Davidson
Indian
Moto Guzzi
Kawasaki
Norton
MV Agusta
Suzuki
Triumph
Yamaha
OTHER - American
OTHER - Asian / Japanese
OTHER - British
OTHER - European
OTHER - German
OTHER - Italian
OTHER - Russian
OTHER - Spanish
OTHER - None of The Above
I Don't Care / Anything With Two Wheels!
Honda or NOTHING!!!

Author Topic: What Vintage Motorcycle Brand(s) Would You Have If It COULDN'T Be A Honda???  (Read 50546 times)

Offline MoTo-BunnY

• The 'Torque 'er Down 'till it Strips Then Back 'er Off a Quarter Turn', Type of
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB500 ~ member #3791
    • http://instagram.com/moto_bunny#
        Sorry there MoTo-BunnY,

This would be more my style of the Indian Fours (not my color though)! ;) 8)

I definitely wouldn't turn that bike down, fo' sure.  .. .  .I'm just not a fan of those huge fenders, they just look weird to me? lol  I don't like cars with those skirted wheel wells, either.   

Here is another example of what I'm diggin' . . ..  :D

Due to the shocking absence of Brough, Vincent and Triton ::) I opted for an Indian and a Ducati 8)

I've just noticed, all the above are twins, remind me again, why am I riding an SOHC4? ;D

I left out Brough and Vincent (though I would DEARLY love either bike) because they are sooo rare and expensive. (not that an Indian Four wouldn't be. . ..lol). I guess I was just kinda thinking more like what motorcycle(s) would you (and could you. . .) actually be into if you didn't have the Honda(s) - as in a 'quasi-realistic' scenario?   ;D
---> instagram.com/moto_bunny# <---

[img width= height=]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3440/3846213109_ae572002d4_o.gif[/img]

hoppin' on down the bunny trail . . .

1973 Honda CB500K2
1970 Ding-How aka Nova R-S w/3.5HP Tecumseh MiniBike
1970 Taco Model 22 deluxe w/3.0HP Briggs & Stratton MiniBike
1973 GMC Vandura 3/4 Ton Van (350CID V8)
1973 Dodge "Chinook" RV (360CID V8)
1985 Toyota Tercel Wagon SR5 (4WD - 3A engine)
1982 Toyota Pickup Truck (2WD - 22R engine)
1962? DriveX Pack-Mule (Tote-Gote clone)
1989 VW Jetta GLi 16V
1991 Diamondback Mtn. Bike

Offline Kamal

• Enthusiast
  • "..but, how did it make you FEEL?"
    • MotoTherapy
Yamaha All The Way.

Can you say RD400, IT dirt bikes, and that beautiful vintage yellow??

CB750K6
CB750K2 Drag Project
IT465 Yammie
KMX250 "Kawazuki" (or was it a "Suzusaki"?)

Offline loonymoon

• Hot Shot
    • Loonymoon's CB350F enthusiasts gallery
I put Triumph and Norton as I'd love a triton cafe racer. I also love the Triumph Hurricane that was a reallly nice triple.
I'd also go Vincent too as they had some real innovations. Velocettes were good bikes too.

Offline nickjtc

• I was numero dieci
  • Old Timer
  • Yamaha XT500 'Gromit'
Apropos of nothing....just a thought.

If you put together all of the bikes ever produced of the various choices made in this thread so far, you would probably still end up with fewer total bikes than the annual production of any of the modern 'big names'.

eg. HD makes 350,000 machines a year. Norton made 60,000 Commandos over 10 years.
Nick J. Member #3247

2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
1977 Suzuki GS750

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear proper motorcycle clothing...."

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!

Hey Nick,

Ever wonder how many of those 60,000 Commandos are left and where they are? ???
             Just a thought I had. Maybe someone's got one stashed away and needs ME to come and take
             it away for them. ;D ::) Hey, I wouldn't even charge for my gas. ;) ;D ::)

Later on, Bill :) ;)
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline GroovieGhoulie

• Master
  • I have to return some videotapes.
Hodaka
Vincent
Triumph/Norton/BSA/British something...

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
I bet you would be the only one on your block to have one of these. Imagine the questions, "What the h#ll is that?" ;D
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline MoTo-BunnY

• The 'Torque 'er Down 'till it Strips Then Back 'er Off a Quarter Turn', Type of
  • Expert
That Munch Mammut is just screaming for a 'Starry Night' gas tank paint job. . . .  ;D

I read several vintage articles about that bike in various motorcycle magazines we have in stock in our store .  ..looks like it was quite the beast and hella expensive. The engine was originally out of a car and made by NSU.  ..one of the various attempts at limited run 4 cylinder bikes before Honda came along and did it (right) on a full production bike.  ;)

Ever seen the 'Amazonas'?  It was a run of bikes made in Brazil with a VW bug motor!

[img width= height=]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3440/3846213109_ae572002d4_o.gif[/img]

1973 Honda CB500K2
1989 VW Jetta GLi 16V

Offline Wheelhorse77

• She's got some Juice
  • Enthusiast
82 Suzi GS1100GL

My dad's bike... I've grown up with the thing. Plus I've seen a vintage bike report where the bike ran 11.20 at 122 mph... I was thinking, yup, she's a little faster than the SOHC.
77 750F2 ressurected from the dead
ASE Advanced Level Master Tech

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
    • Mike's Metric Vintage Honda
Ducati, Indian, Norton
SOHC4 Member#44153  
www.mikesmetric.com | www.mikedialect.com

Offline Quail "Owner of the comfortable k8"

• Expert
  • Now thats good eaten!!
Triumph/Norton/BSA
These wonderful little birds are great flyers, delicious eating, excellent for training your hunting dog, and just fun to shoot,or stuff and keep around the house.  Bobwhites can be put with other types of Quail and have very large penis's.  Quail are very popular with the babes.

Offline ekim98

• Expert
Norton - Yellow Submarine, I read an article about one about 40 years ago, and ever since I've wanted one.
Vincent - Black Shadow Read a road test from Cycle Magazine that they did at an Air Force Base.                       Only place they could find a straight paved surface long enough to stop it once they got it up to speed - about 152mph show room stock.
Patriot Guard Rider - KY. Ride with Respect

78 750k  cafe bike sort of
67 305  Superhawk (working project)

Offline droopy

• Hot Shot
So I would say that if I could have ANYTHING I would probably get a pre-war Indian Four or Chief (but that would be WAY more money than I would see anytime soon. .  . lol).

I also think the Vincents are hOt (plus, there's the Hunter Thompson connection). . he he. But if I had to pick a realistic brand that I like that I could actually get parts for and ride, I'm thinking a BMW? Probably because they look pretty cool and they're kinda familiar to me having been in the air-cooled VW scene for many moon prior to motorcycles. .  .dunno really know that much about them, though. . .  except that parts are WAY more spendy than Honda!

I don't know BMW with VW engine  ;D best of both worlds ??? ::)
2007 lifan 200cc sport ohc thumper

Offline ekim98

• Expert
So I would say that if I could have ANYTHING I would probably get a pre-war Indian Four or Chief (but that would be WAY more money than I would see anytime soon. .  . lol).

I also think the Vincents are hOt (plus, there's the Hunter Thompson connection). . he he. But if I had to pick a realistic brand that I like that I could actually get parts for and ride, I'm thinking a BMW? Probably because they look pretty cool and they're kinda familiar to me having been in the air-cooled VW scene for many moon prior to motorcycles. .  .dunno really know that much about them, though. . .  except that parts are WAY more spendy than Honda! 

But like the Honda, if you take care of the BMW it will last you a life time. ;D ;D ;D
Patriot Guard Rider - KY. Ride with Respect

78 750k  cafe bike sort of
67 305  Superhawk (working project)

Offline MoTo-BunnY

• Expert
I don't know BMW with VW engine  ;D best of both worlds ??? ::)

I have seen a few of those. . .pretty kewl! I have one our of our old motorcycle magazines around somewhere, where in 1966 a guy put a VW engine into his Harley. Pretty bizarre combo but it looked great, almost factory. (then again, he WAS a machinist for a living)

This bike is pretty styley:

They say its a 'Porsche engine' which is kinda true - its out of a 914 but it was made by VW (VW - Audi - Porsche were all one company like GM, at one time I believe) and is also found in the '72-79 VW vans - just 'detuned' a little. I had a couple of those vans - traveled all over the US in one of them . .  .kinda funky, fun rides.   :)

Also, look up the "Amazonas". It was a Brazil venture using a motorcycle with a VW bug engine in it (since they made that motor (and car) under license, there). It looks like a crazy big Goldwing or something. . .lol.

1973 Honda CB500K2
1989 VW Jetta GLi 16V

Offline droopy

• Hot Shot
Yep there is a adaptor plate to use the Transmission
from the bmw bike to mate it to a vw bug engine
2007 lifan 200cc sport ohc thumper

Offline kpier883

• is quite the
  • Hot Shot
Either an air cooled big bore Kawasaki or Suzuki - KZ1100 bored out or Suzuki GS1000 bored out
Yamaha 2 stroke street 250 or 350, and
maybe a Kawasaki 2 stroke triple

I would want to have things that could be ridden and which enough were built that parts to keep it running are readily and cheaply available.  I always kind of liked the sound of the small Yamaha 2 stroke street bikes with stock mufflers.

Old BMWs might fit the bill too and might add some long distance capabilities....  choices...
74 CB750
80 CBX
82 KZ1000 K2 (LTD)
57 1/2 ton chevy

shoggoth80

Only 2% of us voted for BSA? For SHAME people!!!
The fact of the matter is, if I could have my choice of vintage motorcycle... there would be several that I'd have in the garage (and I am honestly hoping to get somewhere with this goal one day!). A BSA A65 would make a fair start! A Vincent if I ever get seriously rich... Nortons are amazing... I have a slight "thing" for Eastern Euro machines... which means I like CZ/Jawa as well.... and the Dnepr M72... BMWs are well engineered.... get the drift? I thought so.
I imagine most of us are this way though. I am actually going to try and save up money while I am in college to reward myself with a BSA when I graduate. Doesn't have to be 100% original, or functional... I like to wrench. This is actually one that I wouldn't roll out to anything other than as close to original as I could make it.

No one dropped a line for an H2 or an H1? If you want adrenaline, that is the quickesst way to get it! I saw a couple mentions of the triples... this is a good thing! Though I didn't see a specific model designation. Ok...so I ramble.

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Suzuki - GS1000S "Wes Cooley Replica" (I've got two)
Harley - Any 1960's Sportster will do me, they were quick, and light, back in the day.
MotoGuzzi - Lemans "Doctor John" Special, I saw one once, and fell in love.

I must be getting old, I've seen a Munch Mammoth and an Amazonas in the flesh when they were relatively new, (big and ugly, but smaller in CC than Triumphs new rocket three) and even a couple of VW powered bikes, plus of course, we have a company here in Oz that manufactures VW and Subaru powered trikes. Long live individuality! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
You're right about the Munch, but I still find them strangely interesting. Must be old age as you said. ;)
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Well I was just thinking about that Bob, it's ok for me to say that the new Triumph is bigger than the Munch or the Amazonas, but back in the day, the Munch was physically an ENORMOUS bike compared to the sleek, narrow Triumphs, Norton's and BSA's that were considered "big bikes" at the time.

Really, motorcycles have gotten much larger in recent years, just looks at the new Triumph twins, they look HUGE in comparison to their forebears, not to mention the 1800cc Goldwing, or the BMW K1200LT etc. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
    • Mike's Metric Vintage Honda
You're right about the Munch, but I still find them strangely interesting. Must be old age as you said. ;)

that is SWEET! Looks like a toy :)
SOHC4 Member#44153  
www.mikesmetric.com | www.mikedialect.com

Offline Aaron J Williams

• Old Biker
  • Hot Shot
  • Member # 725
    • Dude's Garage
I've always wanted an Ariel square four and a late sixties Guzzi Eldorado!
There are old bikers and there are bold bikers but there are very few old, bold bikers.

Quote from: Gordon
Not doing what you can to make your bike ride-able during the best riding months of the year kind of defeats the purpose of owning it in the first place.

fuzzybutt

i voted norton because NORVIN wasnt a choice. i'd LOVE to do one of those with one of the new vincent motors.

Offline MoTo-BunnY

• Expert
i voted norton because NORVIN wasnt a choice. i'd LOVE to do one of those with one of the new vincent motors.

Yup - I hear that, very classy bikes - I love the Vincent motor, especially that wicked curved exhaust header.

I went to the new Vincent site (http://www.vincentmotors.com/) and played around with the 'configurator' thingy playing cycle designer. . . .here is what I came up with:

I tried to keep it as true to the original in appearance, as possible - don't want to modernize it TOO much  : )

Also, I think that I read that the new Vincent actually uses a Honda motor?!? (I guess its still in the prototype stages or something)  kinda interesting. . . . .  :o
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 10:36:06 pm by MoTo-BunnY »

1973 Honda CB500K2
1989 VW Jetta GLi 16V