Poll

If It Couldn't Be A Honda *shudder* What Brand(s) of VINTAGE Motorcycle Would You Be Into?

BMW
BSA
Ducati
Royal Enfield
Harley-Davidson
Indian
Moto Guzzi
Kawasaki
Norton
MV Agusta
Suzuki
Triumph
Yamaha
OTHER - American
OTHER - Asian / Japanese
OTHER - British
OTHER - European
OTHER - German
OTHER - Italian
OTHER - Russian
OTHER - Spanish
OTHER - None of The Above
I Don't Care / Anything With Two Wheels!
Honda or NOTHING!!!

Author Topic: What Vintage Motorcycle Brand(s) Would You Have If It COULDN'T Be A Honda???  (Read 50585 times)

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Four-stroke non-Hondas:
The shaft-driven Suzy 750-4 of the early 1980s (was it a GS750?) that resembled the CB750, but with a chain. Although it had more HP than the CB, it was slower, due to drive train losses and weights. Nice scooter, though.

Another, briefly, but not anymore desire: the BMW 750-3 inline of the later 1980s. The water cooling finally made me change my mind. I'm a snob: bikes should be air-cooled... (no fights, please, I'm just an opinionated old snot about this point.  ;D ).

Two-strokes:
The Suzy 380cc triple of the 1972-1974 genre. It had a 5-speed tranny then, was as nimble as the 350F but slightly bigger for comfort, would hit 80 MPH in seconds, smooth, quiet, low maintenance, cheap ($700 out the door!) and got 60 MPG. It would also run to redline in top gear at 95 MPH and hold that all day without breaking a sweat. The top end could be completely rebuilt in less than 3 hours, in the frame. A sweet, well thought-out design that was just too small for most folks, so it never did well in the U.S., better in Japan. It didn't smoke, either, due to Suzy's unique crankcase,cleaning checkvalve system and oil injection. Most non-riders never realized it was a stroker.

But, none of the above changed motorcycling forever, nor did they gather a 3rd-party support system, nor did they sell even a small fraction of the CB750 numbers....so, they are all gone!
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
GT380, not smoke?????
you gotta be joking.
It will lay a smoke screen like something from a Bond movie first time its opened up after pottering around town, half mile long, 50 ft high 300 ft wide (I was following that one until it 'disappeared'  ;D) Really did sound good though
 I had forgotten about the Barton engineering 500cc water cooled conversion for them though in a Spondon frame.
 I think you may be thinking of GS850 as I don't remember the inline 4 ever being a 750 shaft? ( and the Madura V-4 was a few years later)
Flying brick BMW was an awesome reliable motor, we had one guy with the 4 cyl 'brick' do 212,000 miles on his, smoked a bit
(I was working in a Suzuki /BMW dealer when they came out)
PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
GT380, not smoke?????
you gotta be joking.
It will lay a smoke screen like something from a Bond movie first time its opened up after pottering around town, half mile long, 50 ft high 300 ft wide (I was following that one until it 'disappeared'  ;D) Really did sound good though
 I had forgotten about the Barton engineering 500cc water cooled conversion for them though in a Spondon frame.
 I think you may be thinking of GS850 as I don't remember the inline 4 ever being a 750 shaft?
(I was working in a Suzuki /BMW dealer when they came out)
PJ

You could be right about the 750 being an 850: I only saw them in passing, and they looked just like the previous 750 with a chain, just had a shaft. Nice-looking bikes, and Suzy usually made a reliable motor. They didn't seem to make them long, or else here in Colorado, they just didn't sell well. They seemed to come and disappear before the '80s were over.

There's a fix for the smoke, if your 380 is doing that: pull out the drain check valves at the bottom of the crankcase(s), clean them and the hoses, and/or replace the hoses, to restore the vacuum. Also, if the crankshaft seals are going, that will make it smoke because the positive inflow from the adjacent cylinders will fill the center one.

I was thinking about the gearbox: I think I'm confusing the 5-speed bit with the 550's of the same period. The 380 got a (short-lived) digital indicator in the late 1974 model (along with Buck Rogers styling that kinda ruined it) because Suzy reps were hearing that customers were forgetting what gear they were in...I think all 380s were 6-speeders. They always felt like a little track racer, no matter where you were riding!

I never knew there was a waterbike 500 kit for them: what a boost that must have been!
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
About 115 bhp  ;D.
 Barton Engineering started in an old chapel in North Wales.
 I saw some old race pictures recently labeled as a square four but no details (I didn't know they did a four)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/teamheronsuzuki/page4/

The page numbers keep moving as they are constantly adding stuff, the link is at present a vintage Bentley record car

The 380's weren't  mine, couple of friends had them.
 The smoke only lasted about a mile or three, then all the collected oil was burned. (took a few miles of flat out running before silencers got hot enough to start burning the oil, they would go all sort's of funny colours)
PJ
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 09:32:26 am by crazypj »
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

rhos1355

I live in cloud cuckoo land, so my choice is:

Brough Superior SS100

(£120,000 at a recent auction at Bonhams)

Offline ev0lve

• Master
Hmmm, while I wait for the temp to get above 40. I think the only other bike I'm interested in at this point is the 81 - 83 gs1100s

It seems they kept on making them in Japan until 2002?. Oy. Preeety.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 06:29:43 pm by Iggy »

okie

Well, maybe I would take a '68 Bridgestone 350GTR.  13.6 second quarter mile and takes a corner pretty well.

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
82 Suzi GS1100GL

My dad's bike... I've grown up with the thing. Plus I've seen a vintage bike report where the bike ran 11.20 at 122 mph... I was thinking, yup, she's a little faster than the SOHC.

Wouldn't mind having 3 of the bikes MY Dad had:

Indian 841 (civlianized)

Indian Warrior (Van Pelt Modified & Fast)

Jawa 250 (again, Van Pelt Modified and surprised many a larger bike, with it's speed and quick response, considering that it was a 2 stroke made before reed valves and expansion chambers were introduced)

Yeah, those would be just the ticket for me and not a Honda among them.
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

okie

Maybe this '66 Bonneville I bought today.  The seller bought it new April 16, 1966.  It had been driven an average of 141 miles per year.  This is the 4th non-Honda I have owned.  The other non-Hondas weres my 1959 Cushman Super Eagle and a couple of 98cc Parillas. 

By the way, that Bridgestone in the post above isn't mine.  It is just visiting my house until its owner picks it up next week. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 03:25:04 pm by okie »

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
Wow Oakie..........thats a pretty Trump!!!!! What would that set a guy back??
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

justjosh

already got it. Mostly 55 triumph T5A. Restored 18 yeas ago by my uncle. Sorry for the crap pic. I will take some better ones this weekend.

Offline toycollector10

• Expert
I didn't sit around wanting a BIG ZED, I went out and found one.    ;D

1969  CB 750 K0
1973  CB175
1973  Z1 Kawasaki

Offline JS550

• the artist formerly known as
  • Hot Shot
  • IAFF local 1307
Gotta say a Brough Superior. The one in the Davida ad! Come on lotto!
If you're worried about how many calories are in beer, is losing weight really your biggest problem?

Offline myhondas

• Not really such a
  • Expert
I want either a 73 or 74 kz 900. It was the first bike that beat my 750 K4 when we used to race on Friday nites in the flats. Only other bike that beat mine was another Honda 750 which had the big bore kit and was built as a chopper. Much lighter and powerful than mine.
1974 CB 750 K4 SHOWROOM
1974 CB 750 K4 IN PART-OUT PROCESS (my original bike)
1965 C100 CUB 50 (PIT BIKE)
1996 VF 750 CD daily rider
1983 VF 1100 V65 Magna in restoration process
SOHC# 5105 11228

fuzzybutt

sorry, i have to change what i said earlier in this thread. i would LOVE to have a vincent BUT, one of the ones being built today, you could still call it vintage i suppose. not technically but...........................................................

jumpjg

Pretty happy with today's ride
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 07:02:33 am by jumpjg »

jumpjg

Also satisfied with yesterday's ride

Offline jaknight

• Hot Shot
  • ....Round Town Ride......
OK, Let's Play Pretend,

This will do me.......Vincent Black Prince (somewhere beyond $100,000 smackers) or an ordinary Vincent HRD..... it'll do.

~ ~ ~ jaknight ~ ~ ~
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 01:57:37 am by jaknight »
"THE PEN IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD........
..........EXCEPT IN A SWORD FIGHT"

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
 My choice is the VINCENT BLACK SHADOW !!  150 MPH STOCK !!  :o

Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !

Offline MoTo-BunnY

• The 'Torque 'er Down 'till it Strips Then Back 'er Off a Quarter Turn', Type of
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB500 ~ member #3791
    • http://instagram.com/moto_bunny#
OH yeah. . . it I could have anything else, with price not a factor, it would be a Vincent (any but especially the Black Shadow or Rapide) or a Brough Superior. The possibility of me ever having either is not in touch with reality, but hey, a gal can dream. .. . lol

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 12:01:36 am by MoTo-BunnY »
---> instagram.com/moto_bunny# <---

[img width= height=]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3440/3846213109_ae572002d4_o.gif[/img]

hoppin' on down the bunny trail . . .

1973 Honda CB500K2
1970 Ding-How aka Nova R-S w/3.5HP Tecumseh MiniBike
1970 Taco Model 22 deluxe w/3.0HP Briggs & Stratton MiniBike
1973 GMC Vandura 3/4 Ton Van (350CID V8)
1973 Dodge "Chinook" RV (360CID V8)
1985 Toyota Tercel Wagon SR5 (4WD - 3A engine)
1982 Toyota Pickup Truck (2WD - 22R engine)
1962? DriveX Pack-Mule (Tote-Gote clone)
1989 VW Jetta GLi 16V
1991 Diamondback Mtn. Bike

Offline demon78

• Old Timer
  • After work to the "Wets"
Re: What Vintage Motorcycle Brand(s) Would You Have If It COULDN'T Be A Honda???
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2009, 10:54:09 am »
60-62 Triumph Bonneville, Matchless g50, always loved the way the Bonny handled and had a fair turn of speed, the Matchbox because it was quick and are still being built today.
Bill the demon.

Offline le_sterls

• Comic book
  • Enthusiast
  • Well than...
If I couldn't have a Honda, it'd be 1st a Norton, then a Triumph, the 3rd a Ducatti. Simply my opinion though, I've always loved british bikes, and had a particular soft spot for ducatti's
That's what I'd like to hear.
'77 CB550k - running... For now...

Offline tool14

• Expert
old indian scout

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
i can't believe royal enfield only gets 8%. wankers.

j/k... i was just looking for an excuse to say "wankers".

below is a bike i almost got...and if that's not vintage enough how about this below it?

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 01:59:13 pm by Ecosse »
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline jbrick28

• ell yeah
norton 850 commando, my dad had one when i was young and i still remember the way it sounds. then a pre unit triumph and a new bonniville
just cause i talk slow dont mean im stupid