Poll

Why do we prefer Honda

Style
Performance
Durability
Factory Parts availability
Aftermarket Parts Availability
Other

Author Topic: Why do we prefer Honda  (Read 17525 times)

Offline 333

• Time for change
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Mail List Member #162 - Call me Stan
Why do we prefer Honda
« on: May 03, 2007, 06:11:45 pm »
My first poll.  I don't know if this has ever been asked, but....  I know why I love 'em.  I'll post my reason in a couple of days.
Go metric, every inch of the way!

CB350F0  "Scrouching Tiger"
CT70K0    "Sneezing Poodle"

www.alexandriaseaport.org

Offline nickjtc

• I was numero dieci
  • Old Timer
  • Yamaha XT500 'Gromit'
Re: Why do we prefer Honda
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 06:16:52 pm »
Specific answer to this poll: other. Because my first 'real' motorcycle was a Honda and I have kept coming back to them over the years. And a tick mark to all of the other choices, too.
Nick J. Member #3247

2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
1977 Suzuki GS750

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear proper motorcycle clothing...."

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
  • "Damn! These HM300 Pipes Are Expensive!!!"
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 06:45:16 pm »
I'd say all of the above. I love the way they look and perform, and I only have to do mild treasure hunting to find what I need for them. Plus many of Honda's bike were historically significant, which appeals to my interest in the technology history.
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 07:34:43 pm »
I think overall cost/value is one of the major factors that many folks who ride classic Japanese bikes got into them for.  It's certainly been a big contributing factor in the purchase of every Japanese bike I've owned.  There are any number of different classic Euro bikes that I'd love to have, but considering my current income bracket, I'd rather have three or four Japanese bikes instead. 

Offline Stormer

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 06:12:17 am »
Why?
Try a good blend of all the above.
Sory the bad english.

Offline GNXFan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 06:16:14 am »
For all of the reasons listed plus the first minibike I ever rode was a Z50 hardtail back in 69 and the closest motorcycle dealer located near my house was a Honda dealer, When I was a kid I rode my Stingray down there and dreamed of getting a torquoise CT70H.

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 05:07:20 pm »
Durability and value for me.

My bike ain't the prettiest, fastest, or the most comfortable out there.
It rides well, gets good gas milage, I can actually not have to go to a dealership for any repair it will EVER need, I OWN IT outright, and insurance is like 80/yr.

I find it funny, most of the hardley riders at my work pay more in insurance per year that i paid for my bike.(and thats not even including their monthly payments)
Or the crotch rocket riders that pay about that much in speeding tickets...

It gets me from point A to point B without any hassles.
What more can you ask for?

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline Rocker

• The one, the only!
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 06:17:42 am »
To me Honda means turn it on and go. I've always driven Honda cars (1990 Prelude Si, 1990 CRX Si, 1994 Civic Si, 2002 Civic Si, 2004 Element - current ride) My wife has owned multiple Civics and now has an Acura CL. Honda is known for their quality and dependability. When it came time for me to buy a bike, Honda was the only brand I considered for my primary rider. My lawn mower is on it's last leg and Lowes has some nice Hondas that are calling my name.... :P

I almost forgot, my insulated lunch bag is orange/grey with a big "Powered by Honda" patch on it. I have a matching backpack too. Got it from a friend that is a Honda mechanic.
~Rocker (aka Adam) | rocker@sohc4.net | SOHC/4 member #4151 | Facebook

Current Bikes:                   
1975 CB750 K5 pic                 
1974 CB360T " lil' twin " Rebuild thread
1976 CB550 K2 Cafe Racer build thread
1975 CB550 K1 parts bike Parted out and cut up.         
2003 VTX 1800C

Bikes I've had:
1974 CB550 K0
1976 CB750 K6

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 07:26:31 am »
I tried to vote for more than one but i couldnt  :-\
Kinda a mix of all of the above as to why I went the Honda route..
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 03:19:59 pm by ProTeal55 »
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 08:53:28 am »
Probably ought to have an "all of the above" option.

My first bike was a 1965 S90.  I hammered that thing and it took no more notice of it than an anvil would have.  So that has a lot to do with why I like Hondas, and I have had nothing but good experiences since then.

Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline 333

• Time for change
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Mail List Member #162 - Call me Stan
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 07:20:54 pm »
OK maybe I should have had a "all of the above" option, but I really didn't think that would give me the answers I expected.  Having just rejoined the SOHC flock, I've noticed definite differences in how our bikes are used.  We have the group that restores a bike back to bone stock, and the group that likes to build cafe racers.  Then there's the ones that just ride 'em.  After 30 or so years, they still run great.  They're just that durable.  And durability did get the most votes,so...

I also expected to hear horror stories about dealers.  In most of the threads asking about parts, rarely is a dealer mentioned, and having worked at a dealer, I know that the parts(for the most part) are still available.  And yes, you might pay a little more for them, but they did last this long, didn't they?  I realize that some people don't think they're still available.  I read one thread about a centrifugal clutch for a scooter.  After a couple of replies, it comes out that the scooter is a '80 Honda CH150.  Nobody (except me) suggested the dealer.  ??

For me, I guess it is "all of the above", although one story was similar to mine.  For me, My first ride was a red '69 CT70.  And when I was working at the Honda parts counter years ago, a man came up to the counter and asked to put a 3 x 5 card on the bulletin board to sell one.  I told him no.  And then I bought it myself.  Still have it.  When I ride it I think of 1969 and riding through my neighborhood back then.  I do, however, wish it was an H model!
Go metric, every inch of the way!

CB350F0  "Scrouching Tiger"
CT70K0    "Sneezing Poodle"

www.alexandriaseaport.org

Offline GNXFan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 04:57:01 am »
Yeah the CT70 was like "the scooter" for our generation. It still holds the most sales for a single year record for Honda at 100,000 in 1970. It was hard to get a street legal mini-bike for kids back then unlike now where there are tons of Elite's, Vino's, and all the Chinese garbage. The sales prices were $349.00 for the 3-speed auto clutch and $369.00 for the 4-speed H model. What a bargain!

Offline grumburg

• Expert
  • 74550, 76400F, 72 750 67S90, 68CL90, 65 s65 66 x6
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 11:38:45 am »
Engine durability and parts availibility. Also, NE Ohio had the largest US dealer for years (Rick Case), so there are plenty around to be had.
Fonda Honda

johnny-from-bel

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 11:54:19 am »
I got the 750K6 for free, that is how it started

Offline ic455

• Expert
  • 750 K6
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 08:32:15 pm »
I voted durability, just brought home my 2nd SOHC-4 and it's definitely a trooper!

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 08:38:57 pm »
My 78K was just the only bike for sale on Island the week I was looking for a new bike. Have owned 2 yamahas and a kawi or 2

.......Now I have 4 Hondas :o   I still have spare parts, so I keep finding bikes to bolt them to. ;D

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 07:12:15 am »
Because it's 31 years old and still running! :)

Offline forwheeldrift

• Enthusiast
  • 1972 cb 500 Four
    • pics
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 05:13:46 am »
in this day and age every other chopper/ sportbike looks like every other chopper/sportbike.(for the most part)
for me the classic/ unique look of these bikes is priceless.

Offline CerBeR

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 02:13:31 pm »
people just can't believe when i say, i'm riding a 34 year old bike :) it leaves their mouths open :D

Offline ChevelleSSLS6

• Enthusiast
  • Member #4051
    • my myspace, yay.
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2007, 12:23:54 pm »
my 77 cb550 is my first bike... $500 from ebay across the state.

still tinkering with it, going to call a fellow member to check on it... I'm good with wrenches but this is my first mode of transport with carbs (multiple at that) and it's not too sporty (crotch rocket styling) and not too 'grandpa harley' looking.
"What about incomplete idiots?" -TwoTired
"What's a leakdown test?  I filled the cylinder that looks like this with some water and let it sit overnight. The water didn't go down any.  I thought that would tell me about the rings." -Dead Guy of AMCforums

1977 CB550f- sold
2007 Kawi EX650- curre

Offline kpier883

• is quite the
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 10:26:44 pm »
I voted durability.  However, style also has a lot to do with it.  It is nice to be on something different than every other fellow you meet.  I rode my '74 750 in Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky West Virginia, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas  this summer.  Three separate out of state trips and the only problem I had was a failed coil - and that may have been a frayed wire.  The sound of the engine is different from most other bikes too.

Rarely do I stop for gas or food that someone doesn't at least check it out, and if I spend any time at all standing around, someone will usually walk up to talk about my bike or one they had like it.  It isn't a restoration and doesn't have great paint, but it still draws people. 

74 CB750
80 CBX
82 KZ1000 K2 (LTD)
57 1/2 ton chevy

Offline spitfire

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 02:06:24 am »
After years of owning British bikes my K0 was a revelation, electrics that worked (no riding home with no lights anymore) , performance, and reliability, I did not have to strip it down every few weeks, handling was the only drawback, but with new shocks, tires and a youthful lack of fear that did not matter. The K0 sold me on Hondas and I stuck to them.

Cheers

Den
Wirral UK
1976 CB750F1 bought new in 76
1977 CB750F2: Restoration started
1964 BSA A65R: Waiting restoration
My gallery is here: http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/spitfire/?g2_navId=x5a30f7b6

Offline UnCrash

• Pass
  • Master
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 05:35:39 am »
My first real motorcycle was a yamaha 650 special.  That damn thing buzzed my hands and butt numb.

I picked up a 78 CB750F last December and was amazed at the price $400, and the power, handling etc.   I put 2,500 miles on it this summer.  I had some problems, but learned a lot along the way.

Yesterday I took delivery of a 76 CB750K.

These 2 bikes along with my '01 Civic and wife's '03 CRV makes us a 4 Honda family.

The only problem is that the K I just received isn't black, like all the other ones....   I'll have to do something about that.
You can't make too much popcorn, but you can definately eat too much popcorn.

Offline stresssolutions

• 4 years on a motorcycle, Time Flies!
  • Enthusiast
  • 03 RoadStar, I miss my Honda
    • bloggy thoughts
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2007, 02:00:33 pm »
Easier to spell!
Enjoying life, one day at a time.

Offline Quail "Owner of the comfortable k8"

• Expert
  • Now thats good eaten!!
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2007, 07:05:06 pm »
Easier to spell!

Man I wanted to say that first!   Easy to say and the Kids think you ride a rocket.  Well it is just a little older and slower rocket.
These wonderful little birds are great flyers, delicious eating, excellent for training your hunting dog, and just fun to shoot,or stuff and keep around the house.  Bobwhites can be put with other types of Quail and have very large penis's.  Quail are very popular with the babes.