Poll

Why do we prefer Honda

Style
Performance
Durability
Factory Parts availability
Aftermarket Parts Availability
Other

Author Topic: Why do we prefer Honda  (Read 17526 times)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Why do we prefer Honda
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2007, 08:34:30 pm »
Cuz we dont like 9mm, 11mm, 13mm, 15mm, & 16mm boltheads... ;D
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline kpier883

• is quite the
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2007, 08:50:15 pm »
Cuz we dont like 9mm, 11mm, 13mm, 15mm, & 16mm boltheads... ;D
Now that is a sensible answer!
74 CB750
80 CBX
82 KZ1000 K2 (LTD)
57 1/2 ton chevy

Offline Quail "Owner of the comfortable k8"

• Expert
  • Now thats good eaten!!
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2007, 09:09:56 pm »
that is the best answer,  say no more seal this thread
These wonderful little birds are great flyers, delicious eating, excellent for training your hunting dog, and just fun to shoot,or stuff and keep around the house.  Bobwhites can be put with other types of Quail and have very large penis's.  Quail are very popular with the babes.

shoggoth80

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2007, 12:28:08 am »
I voted durability. There are other reasons. I don't "prefer" Honda's per se, but I thoroughly respect them. Honda makes a wonderful motorbike. I started riding on a Mobilette moped (Spanish make), and my first motorbike with any kind of power was a 1973 XR75 (hey I was like 12). That thing bred a taste for the classic era stuff in me at an early age. In fact, the newest bike I own is an '83 XL600. That makes 3 Hondas total. I actually still have the little XR in my parents barn. Does that count as a SOHC model? Hah! Honda not only makes a pretty well streamlined bike, I have never known a Honda to score anything less than "clawhammer" in regards to reliability. That XR75 still runs. Many Hondas were sold, so any part you need is not going to take you years to find. Some parts are still available from the dealer. Some unfortunately aren't, like the headlight for my XL... though I am sure there is a model with a cross-over part that would work (I was still able to get a new head for my XR75 when we found out that it had a hairline crack back in '93-94). Though I think the right side intake boot for the XL genuinely IS NLA. Parts are pretty easy to come by in the secondary market, and aren't likely to dent your wallet too much. Many factors contribute to why as a motorcycle, Honda makes a good choice.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2007, 04:36:55 am »
Actually, I don't prefer Honda's. I've always loved the CB750, because it was the first real "Superbike" and it changed the motorcycling world, and I was there when it happened. That doesn't make me a Honda "Fan", I just like the SOHC 750/4. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2007, 04:59:59 pm »
Sure Terry ;D    If I offered you my 350 twin you would certainly pay the shipping ;D
SOHC4 and........................ to late the offer is rescinded

P.S.been doing some reading.        < Sept 1984 Milperra. WOW :o

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2007, 06:30:30 pm »
Sure Terry ;D    If I offered you my 350 twin you would certainly pay the shipping ;D
SOHC4 and........................ to late the offer is rescinded

P.S.been doing some reading.        < Sept 1984 Milperra. WOW :o

Nah, I wouldn't pay the shipping Derek, but I'd have it for nothing, ha ha!

Yeah, the "Father's Day Massacre" in Miperra is a classic example of how immature the asssholes in "outlaw" clubs are, I don't know if the leaked forenzic photographs are still on rotten.com, but it was truly a horrible way for two clubs to resolve their problems. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline S-Dog

• Hot Shot
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2007, 07:54:31 am »
I put durable.... All 4 bikes I have owned through the years have been Hondas.

81 cb750k
81 Goldwing
75 cb750k
83 gl650 Silverwing (the baby at 25yrs old)

It is AMAZING how many of these bikes are still on the road.  Adn its not one particular type of bike either.  Just testimony  as to how great the bikes are.
1975 CB750K Bright Orange with 8300miles
1983 GL650 Silverwing Restore project with 17k miles

http://www.NEHondaGuys.info/forums

Offline Glenn Stauffer

• SOHC/4 #3 - Member since 1994
  • Administrator
  • Expert
    • The SOHC/4 Owners Group
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2007, 07:19:50 pm »
My first bike was (still own it) 1977 Honda CB550K.  Since then, I'm definitely absorbed in the cult of Honda - Soichiro Honda and Takeo Fujisawa are both people I admire greatly.  Honda denotes to me quality, durability, and innovation.

BulleyCafe

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2008, 01:11:46 pm »
My dad always rode hondas (three wheelers and dirtbikes) in the 80's, so growing up, thats what we had. You cannot beat the reliability of a honda motorcycle. I also live in NE ohio and these old sohc bikes can be found almost anywhere, maybe not running, but they are there. Ive got a great cycle graveyard within 30 mins of where I live and they pretty much have about 1,000 old CB's to pick away at. I also love the unique engineering history behind these bikes, not to mention the smile I get whenever I crank my 400f to 10,000 rpms! I think thats a huge reason we all love these machines.

Bob550four

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2008, 11:11:01 pm »
My reason is Honda has the incredible track record of quality and dependability.  I swear they engineer these bikes so that they're almost totally idiot proof, and easy to fix/service.

In my world, in a bike, reliability is my #1 concern, followed by simple to service or fix, #3 it must, be something that is comfortable.   Honda's CB surpasses all 3 of those requirements, and therefore is the bike to own.  THE ONLY simpler bike I've owned, was my 89 GS500E.

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
  • "Damn! These HM300 Pipes Are Expensive!!!"
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2008, 05:42:30 am »
I was thinking more about this the other day. Another thing that sets Honda apart (at least among the other Japanese bike makers) is that engines and consumer transportation are their core product line. The product the company was founded on was the motorcycle. Kawasaki Heavy Industries does off-highway equipment and Yamaha makes musical instruments. (I can't recall what Suzuki's other business interests are) Building bikes was more of a "side project" for Honda's asian competitors. Not to say the engineering from these other firms isn't good, but the driving force behind them is different.
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

Offline benly- ben

• Hot Shot
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2008, 11:51:50 am »
all of them!!!!!    ;D ;) :) 8)
"Youngest Member On The Forum! Joined When I Was 12!"

Offline detdrbuzzard

• Enthusiast
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2008, 05:26:17 pm »
my first bike was a honda z50a and the first street bike i ever rode was a cb350 and aftet kick starting that 750 norton i had i sold it and got a cb350 just for the electric start so my vote is other
'75 cb750k, '79 cb750/9k,'84aspencade '93gl1500se, '79cb 750f '85 cb450 sc '05 sunL 70

Offline 750K2

• new rider with an old bike
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2008, 08:46:10 pm »
well i kinda fell into this bike and it's my first ever, which is a good thing as i'd probably be dead long ago if i rode.  but dangit, these things have classy styling, a comfortable ride, excellent reliabilty, cost effectiveness and simplicity.  what bike can roll off the assembly line these days and lay the same claim?  i might be tempted with a kz1000 but honestly, i don't need a straight line bullet or 150  hp.  comes a time in a man's life when 'good enough' is just fine.

Offline Joel

• Hot Shot
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2008, 08:52:12 pm »
We can only vote for one?  ;)

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2008, 10:41:12 pm »
Because Harley hasn't built an airplane yet?
Stranger in a strange land

Offline Klark Kent

• You are in serious trouble if you think I'm an
  • Expert
  • Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration don't fail me now
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2008, 12:06:23 am »
this forum  :-*

i am a little biased.  never had a bike before my 550K1,

its unrestored and it sweats a little oil but folks still stop and look.  cops by me love it too- the same cops that would call for back up and look for "probable cause" when they pull me over in a car now show me respect for keeping something like it alive.  And there is nothing else like it.  quality.  it all comes down to quality.  nothing missing.  nothing extra.  undeniable idiotproof simple simple quality. 

was quality an option?
-KK

75 CB550k
76 Moto Guzzi 850T-3FB LAPD- sold
95 KLR650
www.blindpilotmovie.com

download the shop manual:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=17788.0
you'll feel better.

listen to your spark plugs:
http://www.4secondsflat.com/Spark_plug_reading.html

Offline Hockers Choppers

• Hot Shot
  • go away winter!!!
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2008, 08:30:11 pm »
Ridin for 30 Years. Mostly HD's had an F3 hot rod. Now have an 05 VTX 1800 F. Best bike I've ever riden by far!!! Do the research Yourself, go ride one, best bike Honda ever built.
The thing about common sense is that, it's not that common.

1978 CB750F SUPERSPORT 850cc, cam, porting, dyna ign, cr29's lotsa elbow grease and $$'s. Worth ever penny!!  (S0ld)

05 VTX1800F darkside
cb750 k1

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2008, 09:55:24 pm »
I like the bullet proofness of the 750. It isn't a dime a dozen HD or crotch rocket...maybe it was back in the 70's. You can pick one up cheap...put some $ and TLC into it and just go out and ride the daylights out it. Everywhere you go...people in the know come out of the woodwork to admire it and tell stories from the past. I would like to roll up on an old Norton or Triumph but I would spend more time wrenching or searching for parts than riding it!!!
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline Grizzly

• Enthusiast
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2008, 05:37:41 am »
Style got my vote.

Here's why. In November 1977 I was 17, I had no interest in bikes at all. My mate had what I now know to be a well used 250 K4. He kept saying he was getting a K7 when he passed his test. I didn't have any idea what a K7 was. One Saturday he called round on his brand new K7. WOW!!!

He took me on the back. I was hooked. Those four tailpipes. the shiney black tank, loads of chrome, the sound and my god the power. I was hooked.

A month later I had a CB200 and have had a bike ever since.

Thanx Honda
The older I get the faster I used to be!!!!

Offline Gonzowerke

• I burn asses like a Bhut Jolokia, 'cause I'm a real
  • Hot Shot
  • Member #106, Owner of the ORIGINAL Frankenbike!
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2010, 09:11:44 pm »
Other.

Because When I was 7, in 1972, my then future brother-in-law gave me a ride on his CB350/4. It has been Honda ever since.
1977 F2 "Highway Star"
1977 F2 "Bike-In-A-Box"
1978 K8 "Frankenbike"
1991 CRX Si "Buzz Bomb"
2000 Jeep Wrangler "UBoat"
2011 BMW S1000RR "TIE Fighter"

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2010, 03:11:42 pm »
it was the cheapest running bike i could find when i decided to get back into motorcycles in 2004. i havent looked back since
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2010, 03:15:29 pm »
After lots of trial and error, I think it's this.
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline jbrick28

• ell yeah
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2010, 04:05:27 pm »
how about because i bought mine from a guy who put it away 25 years ago and all i had to do to hear it run was clean the carbs and charge the battery. by the way they sound amazing with a kerker 4 to 1 also.
just cause i talk slow dont mean im stupid