Author Topic: I need advice on a compact, flat battery to replace the stock one in my 550.  (Read 2615 times)

hueroloco

I haven't found one locally, and I tried. I'm firm on having a smaller, flat sealed battery under my seat instead of the ones I've tried so far. Any ideas would be lovely, I don't know anyone who has pulled it off yet, although I have been trying to find a forum user for advice. It needs to power my starter, headlight, tail light (I may switch the lucas style out for an LED) and that's it, no signals or anything extra. I have a sealed battery already which I foolishly purchased before looking at the weight and size. It's a little smaller than stock and heavy as hell. I need something small, flat, and preferably light. I wanna run an open frame under the seat for the most part.

Thank you for your time.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 10:29:07 pm by El Huero Loco »

Offline Jinxracing

• It's hot shit, not
  • Hot Shot
  • '70 CB750 K1
    • The Hairy Nickel
If you can tell me the name of Steve Caballero's band from the early '80s I'll tell you where to find a battery.  ;)

Seriously, take a look at this:

http://www.batteryspec.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?action=link&product=150

Capacity is down by about 50% from a stocker, but I'm giving it a try for an underseat mounting location. Cheap at twice the price too.
"Each of us can find a maggot in our past which will happily devour our futures."

–Captain Horatio Hornblower

www.thehairynickel.com

Offline Jinxracing

• It's hot shit, not
  • Hot Shot
  • '70 CB750 K1
    • The Hairy Nickel
The faction.

I'm impressed! Now if I could just find their first album on vinyl again...

It's probably going to be awhile before I get my battery mounted and tested. If you go with that battery please post your experience with it; I'm concerned that it's gonna go dead quickly at idle and/or not even have enough juice to crank the engine over. Time will tell I guess.
"Each of us can find a maggot in our past which will happily devour our futures."

www.thehairynickel.com

scratch

Any new to post about testing the battery??

scratch

Offline Jinxracing

• It's hot shit, not
  • Hot Shot
  • '70 CB750 K1
    • The Hairy Nickel
Which battery are you running? This one:

http://www.batteryspec.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?action=link&product=150

That's the one. Here's photos of how I mounted mine:

www.thehairynickel.com

Offline tsflstb

• Expert
Really like the looks of that setup.  I'm considering something similar but have another question...

Since these small batteries don't hold as much "juice" is there any chance of over-charging them with the stock charging system or possibly cooking the regulator/rectifier because of too much charging output?

Offline bistromath

• Hot Shot
What carbs are those?
'75 CB550F

Offline yd72

I run this battery in my bike every day. Now I'm only running a brake/running light, headlight and bright, but it works flawlessly so far, and I usually only ride around town so the charge it's getting is less than ideal. Space wise it's half the size of the stocker, so it allowed for me to completely clean out under the seat and run an open frame. I sandwiched it in that little bracket the rear fender used to bolt to. Pics in the next couple days. The battery's perfect.

I am running dyna ignition on my cb350f, will there be any problem in supplying the dyna if this been install?

ZetecOwns

Very cool set-up, I'm considering doing the same on my CB350. At $16 and shipping, you can't go wrong.

Thanks for the info, everyone.

Offline Jinxracing

• It's hot shit, not
  • Hot Shot
  • '70 CB750 K1
    • The Hairy Nickel
What carbs are those?

Ahh, good eye.  ;)

That's the dual-carb setup from CycleX. Haven't fired it up yet, but install so far has been fairly straightforward. Reviews of them have been mixed, and there are a few posts here on the forum about them. Here's a link to the CycleX site:

http://www.cyclexchange.net/Carb%20System%20Comp%20Page.htm

www.thehairynickel.com

fuzzybutt

and they fit ok with the stock frame? ken had told me that there was a problem with that. do the stacks that come with the carbs have filters or foam in em? i NEED those carbs
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 04:05:39 pm by fuzzybutt »

Offline Jinxracing

• It's hot shit, not
  • Hot Shot
  • '70 CB750 K1
    • The Hairy Nickel
and they fit ok with the stock frame? ken had told me that there was a problem with that. do the stacks that come with the carbs have filters or foam in em? i NEED those carbs

Well, the CARBS fit fine in my stock '70 CB750 frame, and Ken gave me the same warning as he did you; air filter clearance is a problem. Ken sent me foam Uni filters as well as some aluminum stacks (with screens but no "filter") with mine. The foam Uni filters rub the frame uprights and the stacks hit the frame uprights. My plan is to cut down the stacks a bit so that they just squeak inside and in front of the frame rails. They'll be shorter by about 3/8", but should just make it. Ken's right...while the carbs are a bolt-on, fitting filtration takes some creativity. If I decide to run the foam Uni filters or pods I'll be making some "elbows" to go between the carbs and filters to allow clearance. I can understand why some people wouldn't want to hassle with it on a stock-framed bike, but I'm determined to make mine a bit on the strange side so the extra work is worth it to me.

www.thehairynickel.com

fuzzybutt

i may end up trying to fit a set this winter.