Author Topic: The X's Project  (Read 26510 times)

Offline xtalon

• Expert
Re: The X's Project
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2007, 04:11:18 pm »
You have to have some incredibly detail-oriented job as your primary profession. You do so well with the documentation and photography that I almost think that I could replicate this build with enough time and $$$ (and a buddy like yours   :D :D :D :D :D!

Vitamin... thanks!  My friends just call me 'anal'.   ;)  I think it's just because a lot of this is new to me and I'm learning as I go.. with a lot of help from the people on this forum and if what I'm doing to my own bike can help someone else down the road, then even better.

You are the man with the plan!   Great work....looking super!   :o :o ;D

Doug, when complete, my bike is still going to still pale in comparison to your bike.  Yours is truly a work of art!

Hopefully in a few more weeks I can get your pods on as my finishing touch.  Thanks again!

The bike looks like it's going to come out real nice. I LOVE the fatter rear tire as well. Where in NC are you if you don't mind me asking?

Starion, I'm in Hickory.  I see you're in Concord.  Only about an hour away.  Cool!

--xTalon
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Yamaha R6v
2009 Ducati SportsClassic Bi-posto

Offline xtalon

• Expert
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2007, 12:11:30 pm »
Well my boy came through.  I must say, the black base coat and clear looks spectacular.  These pictures don't come close to doing it justice.  The finish is like looking into a mirror!!!   :o

I must say, I'm really digging the black and starting to think twice about using the chrome paint.... but I'll probably go through with it because it will be different... but damn that black rocks!!!   8)

Here are a couple pics of the tank just sitting on the bike.  It's not in it's final position because it is a #$%* to get off and on and the paint still needs to cure.  When mounted, the frame rails will come out of the cutouts in the rear of the tank, so you can see how high the tank is currently sitting.

The Hel custom made brake lines showed up late last week.  This was like a 3 day turn around time and they were perfect, so kudos to Hel USA.  I mounted the lines yesterday.

I still need to rewire the headlight bucket and then start figuring and cutting on the seat pan.  Wish me luck!

--xTalon
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Yamaha R6v

Offline firecracker

• At being Shameless, I'm an
  • Expert
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2007, 02:56:05 pm »
X - man, that is looking sweet. 

Remember the old Looney Tune cartoons, where somebody hungry looks at someone else, then envisions them as a cooked chicken or drumstick, etc.?

The extra tank I've got laying around is starting to look like a good candidate for a stretching...

Thanks for the inspiration - and just a week before I was going to cut my seat pan!   Whew!!!
Life is like a game of cards.  The hand you are dealt represents determinism.  The way you play it is free will.
  -  Jawaharal Nehru

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2007, 02:59:52 pm »
Looks good X, you may wake the dead with those pipes!

Offline forwheeldrift

• Enthusiast
  • 1972 cb 500 Four
    • pics
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2007, 04:51:13 pm »
looks good, cant wait to see it in chrome.

I love the parking sign

Offline starion88esir

• Enthusiast
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2007, 06:18:10 pm »
I'm loving the pipes! Who did you have bend them up for you?
71 CB175 - next project
76 CB750F - current project

Offline xtalon

• Expert
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2007, 07:18:29 pm »
I'm loving the pipes! Who did you have bend them up for you?

Pipes are standard MAC drag pipes that bolt right on; however, we did modify slightly, but you don't have to.  If you go back to the beginning of this thread, you can see what we did.

--xTalon
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Yamaha R6v

EVILONE

« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2007, 08:49:58 pm »
Good looking bike,its a shame the paint job SUCKS!!! ;DIf only you had some side covers.............

EVIL 8)

Offline xtalon

• Expert
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2007, 12:32:08 pm »
Good looking bike,its a shame the paint job SUCKS!!!  ;D  If only you had some side covers.............

EVIL 8)

Just don't confuse which bike your painting and make them orange and green!    :P

--xTalon
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Yamaha R6v

Offline jdawg

« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2007, 08:12:20 pm »
I'm curious X -

Why did you go with the later model carrier with the Cycle X +10mm offset front sprocket vs using the Cycle X + 10mm rear sprocket and + 10mm front sprocket? Sounds like it would achieve the same clearances.

Not saying one way is better...  just curious.
1974 CB750 K4 - old junk to fiddle with

Offline xtalon

• Expert
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2007, 08:26:57 pm »
I'm curious X -

Why did you go with the later model carrier with the Cycle X +10mm offset front sprocket vs using the Cycle X + 10mm rear sprocket and + 10mm front sprocket? Sounds like it would achieve the same clearances.

Not saying one way is better...  just curious.

JDawg,

Honestly, I did it that way because the later model sprocket carrier existed, was made by Honda Engineering and has been test proven for over 30 years.   ;D  Not to mention, it looks more stock.  Not that a 150 rear tire looks stock though.   ;)

I'm sure the Cycle-X rear offset sprocket works just as well.  It's just a matter of preference.  Probably would have less unsprung weight using Cycle-X's offset sprocket.

I think the guys at Cycle-X even use the rear offset sprocket with the later model carrier for 20mm offset for really big tires.   :o  I don't know how that works in the swingarm.  I assume they are using a later model engine that already has the offset and then putting their front offset sprocket on that to keep the chain aligned.

I don't know if this helped or not, but that was my logic.

--xTalon

« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 03:42:26 pm by xtalon »
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Yamaha R6v

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2007, 04:48:11 am »
How much clearance do you have on:
a.) The swing arm - for the tire
b.) The frame where the chain goes through
and
c.) The tire as the chain goes by?

Thanks. I don't really need measurements down to a thousandth of an inch, but a general idea of what you've got would be great.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline xtalon

• Expert
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2007, 12:58:40 pm »
How much clearance do you have on:
a.) The swing arm - for the tire
b.) The frame where the chain goes through
and
c.) The tire as the chain goes by?

Thanks. I don't really need measurements down to a thousandth of an inch, but a general idea of what you've got would be great.

KB,
Keep in mind that the light in my garage sucks, all I have to measure with is a hand held ruler and it's hard to get close and my eyesight ain't what it used to be.

Having said that, on the left hand side, all the clearances (tire to swingarm, chain to tire and chain to frame) all seem to be between 7-10mm.  On the left hand side, the tire to swingarm is only about 4-5 mm.

My biggest issue and one I haven't resolved yet is the brake stay arm.  It's hitting, but only in spots, which leads me to believe my rear wheel isn't true or the tire isn't perfectly round.  But even if it was, I think I might still have a slight issue.  I hope to resolve this issue in the next week.

I bought a '78 brake stay arm thinking I needed it, but it is actually thicker than the '76 brake stay arm, so I think I am going to modify the '76 arm.  I'll post here what I end up doing.

--xTalon
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Yamaha R6v

Offline xtalon

• Expert
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2007, 10:46:18 am »
Man, I love this forum!!!

Two days ago, I started hooking all the wires back up in the headlight bucket.  Even though everything is color coded, I still marked everything with tape.  Everything went back together easily.  Installed the charged battery, turned the key.  Lights on...good.  Hit the starter and nothing!  :(

I spent all day yesterday digging in that rats nest of wires.  I found a couple loose wires that weren't marked, so I figured they were either already disconnected by PO or came loose on their own when removing the old frontend.  Turns out both scenarios were correct.  I hooked up what I could.  Hit the starter and nothing.  Kept digging.  Pulled wires loose and reconnected to make sure had good connections.  Started looking elsewhere making sure I didn't pull or break something loose (especially when installing the front offset sprocket).  Nothing.

Keep in mind that if you think I'm no mechanical wiz, I am virtually an electrical retard.    ;D

Went to Lowes last night and bought a multimeter and started with the wires from the starter button and cut-off switch.  Everything seemed to be doing what it is supposed to.  Turns out it wasn't my wire reconnecting at all.  I traced it to the solenoid.  I ordered a new one from Honda but luckily I did a search and did some reading here too.  Saw a post from Jevfro that said to take it off and hit it with a hammer and that he beat his on the concrete.  I figured if its already broke, what can it hurt?  Took it off, beat it on the concrete, put it back and IT WORKS!!!  She's turning over!!!

Called Honda and cancelled the new solenoid order... at least for now.   ;D

--xTalon
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 03:45:34 pm by xtalon »
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Yamaha R6v

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2007, 07:55:12 pm »
get a new one. ;)

Offline aj

• no better way than goin cafe.
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2007, 08:51:24 pm »
looks good man! so you basically wanted the drag style pipes right?

Offline neil young

• striving to be an
  • Expert
  • A penny saved..is obviously a government oversight
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2007, 10:51:08 pm »
looking good.you and tvag are really giving me the incentive i require to work on my 72 500.i was going to wait untill winter.but i find myself doing a bit here and there these days.
1972 CB500 k1
1974 CB550
1977 cb 550
82 suzuki GS 750tz.......16  valves  baby
2008 Triumph Scrambler

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2007, 11:43:12 pm »
Wow. Just LOVE the fat tire.
Doug

Click --> Cheap Regulator/Rectifier for any of Honda's 3-phase charging systems (all SOHC4's).

GM HEI Ignition Conversion

Quote from: TwoTired
By the way, I'm going for the tinfoil pants...so they can't read my private thoughts.
:D

Offline xtalon

• Expert
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2007, 04:14:43 am »
looks good man! so you basically wanted the drag style pipes right?

Thanks guys!

Yep, definitely wanted the drag pipes, but wanted the side by side look (like under a hot rod) versus the staggered look.

Project was pushed to the back burner while I planned and went on my trip to California (Motogp race) and spent a week touring California.

The plan is to put the mirra-chrome paint on the tank this weekend, although the initial plan of simply painting the side of the tank chrome has changed somewhat.  Rather than just paint the sides chrome, we are going to paint the whole tank chrome and then after it has cured, come back and lay the black back over the sections I don't want chromed.  Jason thinks that will work better in terms of adhesion with this stuff.  So... you guys waiting to see how this mirra-chrome is going to work should have an answer by early next week when I hope to be able to post pics.

--xTalon
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 09:47:52 am by xtalon »
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Yamaha R6v

Offline xtalon

• Expert
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2007, 02:35:02 pm »
As you can see, I'm running slightly behind schedule, but the Mirrachrome is on the tank.   :P

We may have screwed up slightly and lost a bit of reflectivity.  Jason's never shot this paint before and everything on the internet says to shoot it really light and not stack the paint which will dull the reflectivity.  Well, I think we shot it too light initially and then had to come back and shoot again because we didn't get good initial coverage of the mirrachrome and some of the black was still showing through.  ANYWAY, it still looks damn good in my opinion.

These pics are before it has been cleared, which may or may not happen tonight.  Once it's cleared and it has cured, we will mask it off and lay the black on.  Then it will be cleared one last time.

I hate to give another time estimate since Jason has to work me in to his real paying customers.   ;D

--xTalon
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Yamaha R6v

Offline noelocol

• Enthusiast
    • DoTheTon
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2007, 02:39:45 pm »
What exactly is this Mirra-chrome stuff?

Is it just a paint? How expensive is it?

TANK LOOKS GREAT!!!!

Offline jevfro

• Hot Shot
  • 1975 CB750 K5
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2007, 02:44:54 pm »
Man, I love this forum!!!

Two days ago, I started hooking all the wires back up in the headlight bucket.  Even though everything is color coded, I still marked everything with tape.  Everything went back together easily.  Installed the charged battery, turned the key.  Lights on...good.  Hit the starter and nothing!  :(

I spent all day yesterday digging in that rats nest of wires.  I found a couple loose wires that weren't marked, so I figured they were either already disconnected by PO or came loose on their own when removing the old frontend.  Turns out both scenarios were correct.  I hooked up what I could.  Hit the starter and nothing.  Kept digging.  Pulled wires loose and reconnected to make sure had good connections.  Started looking elsewhere making sure I didn't pull or break something loose (especially when installing the front offset sprocket).  Nothing.

Keep in mind that if you think I'm no mechanical wiz, I am virtually an electrical retard.    ;D

Went to Lowes last night and bought a multimeter and started with the wires from the starter button and cut-off switch.  Everything seemed to be doing what it is supposed to.  Turns out it wasn't my wire reconnecting at all.  I traced it to the solenoid.  I ordered a new one from Honda but luckily I did a search and did some reading here too.  Saw a post from Jevfro that said to take it off and hit it with a hammer and that he beat his on the concrete.  I figured it it's broke, its broke, so what can it hurt.  Took it off, beat it on the concrete, put it back and IT WORKS!!!  She's turning over!!!

Called Honda and cancelled the new solenoid order... at least for now.   ;D

--xTalon
Ha!

Glad to have helped! When mine wouldn't work I remembered my grandpa telling me about hitting the solenoid on old auto starters w/ a hammer, and figured it would work on the ones off a bike too.  Mine is still working after a year or so after my beating I gave it.  seems they just get a lil' rusty and need to be freed up to work again.

oh yea... That tank is looking sweet! I can't believe it's not chrome...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 02:49:21 pm by jevfro »

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2007, 02:53:14 pm »
I've been waiting for pics of that tank for a while.... Looks great - even in the photos shot inside.  I bet it gleams outside in the sunlight....I'm going to shoot my paint on my projects this weekend and I'm already starting to change my mind...

Well done.
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline xtalon

• Expert
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2007, 02:56:11 pm »
What exactly is this Mirra-chrome stuff?

Is it just a paint? How expensive is it?

TANK LOOKS GREAT!!!!

It is classified as paint and shoots as paint.  However, I read somewhere that it is hyper fine aluminium... I assume mixed into the paint.  You first paint a background color (in my case black) and then clear it and then paint the mirrachrome over that to give it the reflectivity.  Just like a mirror has a black backing.

It can be cleared like normal paint.  It is made by Alsa Corporation and they sell a kit which includes their black, reducer, clear and mirrachrome.  I bought their pint kit which is way more than I need.  It is expensive, but you get a lot in their kit.

--xTalon
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Yamaha R6v

Offline xtalon

• Expert
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2007, 03:01:35 pm »
I've been waiting for pics of that tank for a while.... Looks great - even in the photos shot inside.  I bet it gleams outside in the sunlight....I'm going to shoot my paint on my projects this weekend and I'm already starting to change my mind...

Well done.

HA!  Yeah, I remembered you were waiting to see it.  Sorry for the delay.  ;)

Regarding changing your mind... I know what you mean.  Once we painted the tank black, it looked so slick, I was ready to throw it on the bike and forget the chrome.  Now that it is chrome, I'm again ready to throw it on the bike and forget the two-tone (black and chrome), but I'm going to see my original plan through.  Being paint, it can always be changed.   ;)

--xTalon
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Yamaha R6v