Author Topic: The X's Project  (Read 26526 times)

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: The X's Project
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2007, 04:27:07 pm »
WOW!! Great tank!!!! I really like what you have done with it!! And thanks for sharing the info - you have given me some ideas as well!!

Looking forward to seeing how it finishes.
cheers
Andy

Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Online DME

• Hot Shot
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2007, 04:41:16 am »
Hey xtalon, things are looking great  8)
I really like that you are keeping to your original idea with the two tone - mainly because it will look great but also because I find it admirable to draw up a plan and follow it through!
Often the first plan is the best and when one starts to cut corners, well.... one corner turns into two... and three...

Will be an awesome bike when finished!

Cheers
Dan

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2007, 05:38:57 am »
MAN!

If i didn't know it was paint, judging by the pictres, I would swear that was one of the best polishing jobs I have ever seen on a tank.

That is sweet.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline silver fox

• Enthusiast
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2007, 06:38:58 am »
Awesome looking bike, keep the pics coming in :)

Are you hiding the battery and electrics under the extended section of the tank??? Is it even possible? And if you have, piccys please ;D

Good work
SF

EVILONE

« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2007, 03:26:04 pm »
HAHAHA....you guys can give me a hard time now....its my fault the tank isnt painted yet....but Im gettin close!lol.Im gonna clear it tonight....should have some pics by the first of the week.I guess you will just have to waitHAHAHAHAHA

EVIL ;D

ScottB

« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2007, 02:40:01 pm »
Am I the only one who would kill for that tank?  Any sort of writeup or tips / tricks would be awesome!  Love the project, lot's of inspiration.

Offline xtalon

• Expert
« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2007, 06:52:53 am »

Are you hiding the battery and electrics under the extended section of the tank??? Is it even possible? And if you have, piccys please ;D

SF, the electronics will not be hidden in the extended section of the tank, although it is a good idea.  There is some room under there, but I don't know if it would be enough.   I know members here are using smaller gel batteries and mounting them under their seat hump, but I don't know the dimensions of these batteries to be able to determine whether it would actually fit in the tank.

DME (user above) extended his tank a little longer than mine, so I assume you could always extend longer or even add a section to get the room you would need.  I don't know how comfortable I would be having the battery enclosed that close to the fuel.  One little pinhole and 'POOF'!   ;D

Initially, we were considering putting an oil tank in there, but didn't follow through on the idea.

Am I the only one who would kill for that tank?  Any sort of writeup or tips / tricks would be awesome!  Love the project, lot's of inspiration.

Scott, there's a pretty good info about what we did to the tank throughout this thread if you haven't seen it already (starts around Page 2).  If you don't see specific info you need, feel free to ask questions here or shoot me or my buddy Jason (username: Evilone) a PM.

To all:  Again, thanks for the comments guys.  They are much appreciated.

--xTalon
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Yamaha R6v
2009 Ducati SportsClassic Bi-posto

ScottB

« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2007, 07:50:17 am »
Can't believe I missed that one!  What did you do with the bottom of the new tank you spliced on?

masonryman

« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2007, 09:20:01 am »
Cool project, the wheels and tank are very nice, and going two up at the same time. Very vintage sport touring of you.

I can't seem to maintain focus on mine.

Mark

Offline xtalon

• Expert
« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2007, 06:10:48 pm »
Can't believe I missed that one!  What did you do with the bottom of the new tank you spliced on?

Scott, I kept the bottom of the 2nd tank; however, I cut the front off the tank first, so it's not the entire bottom in one piece, although technically I have the whole bottom, just in two pieces.  I was just going to throw it all away, but I kept it thinking if my buddy Jason (or someone else) decides they want to build a CB750 tank, this could keep them from having to hammer out/build the bottom/tunnel.

Masonryman, hate to hear you're losing focus.  Last I remember, your bike was looking pretty sweet.

--xTalon
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 06:31:00 pm by xtalon »
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Yamaha R6v

Offline motomotard

• Enthusiast
    • GoGo Garage
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2007, 10:27:16 pm »
Xtalon,
Bike looks awesome, you move fast.

What did you use to polish the rear hub?

masonryman

« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2007, 02:19:20 am »
I'll do better when the weather starts to turn rainy and the days get shorter, being a bricklayer and having two teenage daughters takes up most of the good weather months. I did choose to go on a ride instead of work on it this weekend ::)

Let us know the latest on the batteries

Mark

Offline dagersh

• "A country attempting to tax itself into prosperity is akin to a man standing in a bucket attempting to lift that bucket by its handle. - Winston Churchill"
  • Expert
    • Photos
« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2007, 03:09:38 pm »
X,

That bike is looking hot!  Keep us informed, and as always lots of pics!

Gersh
1962 CA95
1966 Black Bomber
1966 CA77 Dream
1967 Superhawk
1970 CB750K0
1972 CL350
1972 CB450/500 Custom
1972 CB500K1
1975 CB550F
1976 CB400F
1975 CB750 Future Restoration
1976 CB750K6
1976 CB750F
1976 GL1000

1968 Suzuki T500 Cobra
1990 BMW K1
2001 'Busa
2003 RC 51
Bunch of Guzzi's

http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/dagersh/

Offline xtalon

• Expert
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2007, 08:53:46 pm »
Xtalon,
Bike looks awesome, you move fast.

What did you use to polish the rear hub?

Motomotard, rear hub was polished by the guy that built the wheels.  I polished the drum brake and the sprocket carrier.  I used a 3/4 HP Shaft Buffer I bought from Harbor Freight fairly cheap to polish those and a few other parts.

Thanks Dagersh!  As you can see, the Alsa paint worked pretty good.   ;)

--xTalon
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Yamaha R6v

fuzzybutt

« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2007, 07:07:03 pm »
how much of the paint did you need to do the tank? i'm thinking about it for metalheads bike

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2007, 08:39:37 am »
Hey Xtalon how is the project going? Do you have a photo of that amazing tank on the bike yet?  ;D

cheers
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline bigsherm

• Enthusiast
C'mon, Xtalon!
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2007, 01:31:35 pm »

Don't keep us waiting!

-Sherm

Offline xtalon

• Expert
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2007, 04:42:15 pm »
Hey guys!

I apologize for the lack of an update and not being around altogether, but I rejoined the ranks of the employed, so time is limited... again.   ::)

Just a quick update...  We clear coated the tank and the mirra-chrome turned to #$%*e.  It looked like an ugly silver paint job.  Obviously, I was majorly disappointed... especially when I had such a beautiful black paint job and then descent results w/ the mirrachrome, but it turned to crap when cleared.  Alsa says it will do that if not applied correctly (i.e. overapplied).  Shooting this stuff seems to be a science.

I've been tempted just to reshoot it black and call it a day, but we are going to try again.  The tank will need to be repainted black and cleared again as the base to the mirrachrome, so we are going to do that and at the same time paint 3-4 samples to practice on.  If we can get the mirrachrome to work on a sample, then we will retry the tank, but if not... she'll be black.

It's almost winter, so the motivation isn't there, but hopefully over the next month or two, we'll know and I'll post an update.

You shoot this mirrachrome very light, almost like a mist.  I bought a pint of the mirrachrome and I'm unsure exactly how much is left since my buddy is doing the actual painting, but I think there is a lot left.

In consolation, my buddy sanded the tank to prep to repaint and he sanded in a front to back direction and one of his customers thought the tank looked like brushed aluminum, so I suppose if that was the look I was going for, it could be salvaged, but I want the chrome look if we can get it.  The Black Bomber tank was my inspiration and I'm still striving for that.  Wish us luck!

--xTalon
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 06:59:34 pm by xtalon »
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Yamaha R6v

Offline cafebob

• Enthusiast
« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2007, 07:59:59 pm »
i have a black bomber tank if you want to try building off of it....

bob

Offline xtalon

• Expert
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2007, 03:46:42 pm »
i have a black bomber tank if you want to try building off of it....

bob

I appreciate the offer Cafebob, but my tanks virtually done except for the paint.

--xTalon
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Yamaha R6v

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2007, 03:56:35 pm »
what about silver leaf? kind of like gold leaf but silver. Back when I did pinstriping silver leaf was the shiznit for getting a nice metal finish on painted surfaces, plus you can clear over it. after applying it you will have to polish it (most silver and gold leaf gets an engine turned pattern polished into it) but then you can shoot clear over it and it won't loose its luster.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline xtalon

• Expert
« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2007, 03:59:58 pm »
what about silver leaf? kind of like gold leaf but silver. Back when I did pinstriping silver leaf was the shiznit for getting a nice metal finish on painted surfaces, plus you can clear over it. after applying it you will have to polish it (most silver and gold leaf gets an engine turned pattern polished into it) but then you can shoot clear over it and it won't loose its luster.

VERY interesting idea Geeto.  If the mirrachrome doesn't work.  I'll definitely look into it.  Thanks!

--xTalon
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Yamaha R6v

Offline tortelvis

• Hot Shot
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2007, 09:16:01 am »
I ran a Triumph chop back in the 70's with no front fender and it sucked. It might look nice but I ride all the time, rain or shine. I discovered that at city speeds any rain was thrown straight into my face. Not to mention anything else the front tire picks up! Same with bobbed rear fenders, you get a nice pattern up the middle of your back. Just my .02.

Offline xtalon

• Expert
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2008, 11:48:06 am »
Well, I'm back working on my project.  I finally gave up on the mirrachrome.  We couldn't get the results I was looking for and I was tired of wasting my time and more importantly, my buddies.

I also got sidetracked with a little adventure of riding a dirt bike across country off road (Trans America Trail - TAT - 5,000 miles).  That took a lot of time and money to prepare and accomplish.  If you're interested in this type of thing, here is a link to our ride report:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371948

It's a fairly long read, but you could always just look at the pictures.  ;)

After that, I went to Indy for the MotoGP race.  Awesome time!  Here is a picture I took of John Hopkins getting loooow (note the elbow):

If you want to see some more I took, you can go here:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=573790

HOWEVER, I have started working on the ole CB again.  I have finished up the rear end which involved getting the rear wheel trued, since the guy who built it didn't true it correctly.  There went another $100 and I installed the new master cylinder, installed fluid, bled the brakes and buttoned down everything on the front end.

Today I took her for two laps around the block... and nothing fell off or exploded, so I am stoked!  Here she is after our little trip.  I had my old rotting seat foam wrapped in a garbage bag to sit on.   ;D

I still have to have the seat done, chop the rear fender and build a tach/speedo bracket, but then I should be about done.

I may still have one more thing to try regarding the chrome on the tank, but I'm going to get her on the road before I attempt it.  Today was the first time her wheels have turned in about a year and a half.

--xTalon
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Yamaha R6v

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2008, 12:16:36 pm »
Looking good! I saw a You Tube video with Ewan McGregor and some vintage Brit bike (don't recall what) where his builder sort of goes over the steps on how he archived chrome sides to the tank. It involved actually welding chromed sections onto the tank. Do a search there for him and you'll likely find it. Interesting non the less.

Thanks for the update.
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.