Author Topic: to grease or not to grease?  (Read 930 times)

gary delaney

to grease or not to grease?
« on: May 13, 2007, 05:51:05 am »
Hi All,
It's IRELAND calling again for help.
I'm refitting my throttle control and bars on my CB 550 four K3 (The one no-one believes has 32 miles from new!).
Do I apply any grease or must I keep well clear of the electric switches?
Thanks again,
Gary

.......Oh Yeh, I have decided not to blast my engine. Will nitromores work? and scotchbrite to finish?

I'd like to keep the bike as original as possible. So far I have, but I get mixed info on the engine.

Offline Short Round

• Hot Shot
Re: to grease or not to grease?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 07:23:16 am »
About the throttle control someone else would have a better answer than myself.  As for your engine I would have to say that it depends on the condition of the original finish.  I have read some other posts on engine painting and what not because I am getting to beging resto on my 74 CB550, My motor looks okay but I am going to blast it with shell to remove all the grime and paint that is flaking, then again with ironoxide to smooth the surfaces out for paint prep.  As for painting the engine I have read some people having good results with the silver high temp grill paint, and from what I have seen it look pretty close to the original finish.  I'm not sure how it holds up to say leaky carbs and such, but the finish is nice.  http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=17116.0
1974 CB550

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 09:13:20 am »
I always use some emery to make sure bars are smooth and clean then some engine oil., grease seems a bit thick. just do inside of grip wih a 'wipe' on the bars, doesnt hurt the switches. Do throttle cable while your at it.

PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline snyquist53

• Enthusiast
  • party time
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 09:38:33 am »
i use triflow or 3 in 1 oil on the cables.  just drip it down the cable while it is off the bars.  too much just gets messy  use it in moderation
74 cb750, 71 cb450, 77 cb550, 74 cl350, 74 sl200, 00 vt110, 77 sporty ironhead
DOG PILE

gary delaney

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 10:47:16 am »
With the risk of sounding repetitive....
THANKS
Gary