Author Topic: Single disc to dual disc conversion on CB550  (Read 5122 times)

Offline mgilvary

• Enthusiast
Single disc to dual disc conversion on CB550
« on: April 06, 2005, 12:53:57 pm »
I've got a '75 CB550 and I'm really not thrilled with the stopping power. I'll be putting new pads on it this weekend, but I've been wondering what it takes to convert it to dual-discs. It seems easy enough to mount a right-side caliper and rotor, but I have no idea how to get a hydraulic connection to the new caliper, given that my stoplight connector only has one output.

Is it as simple as finding a stoplight rig with an extra banjo connection, or is it more complicated than that (like, do I need a different master cylinder?)? And, if it is that simple, where do I find a two-output splitter? Is that something commonly found on a 750?

(Excuse my ignorance -- I'm fairly new at this, but learning fast).

Update: I see there is a section in Home --> Tech Library --> Brakes labelled "Dual Disc Conversion," but I don't see any links to the PDF files mentioned. Anyone know where I can find them?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 01:17:17 pm by mgilvary »

Offline Zeke

• Hot Shot
Re: Single disc to dual disc conversion on CB550
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 01:18:29 pm »
Hey:

I don't have a 550, but a 650.

My 1980 only had one caliper, and the forks only had brake bosses on the left side.  I inquired about this on the old greenspun site and so maybe some of the info will help you....

I bought a set of forks from a 1982 650 which has brake bosses on both sides -- if you have mounting bosses only on the left perhaps you'll need to find a set of fork legs from a different bike...  Mine cost me about $50.

As far as hooking them up....

I had to buy calipers from the newer model year -- this was easy and I now have two sets of calipers, hoses, and master cyls -- I'll pick the best two of each and go with it.  They were cheap, about $45 total.  But, pretty much everything has to be rebuilt.

There is "T" hardware to split the hydraulics off to the second brake.

The biggest judgement here is whether to try and use your same master cyl or get one designed for dual discs.  A single disc master cyl doesn't move the same amount of fluid volume that a dual disc master cyl does.  So although it may work, you'll have to pull the lever much farther with two brakes than with one.

I like a firm lever, and so this won't work for me.  Some said they didn't mind it but I'm going to get this dual master cyl rebuilt with a new reservoir and do it right.

After all, you're after more stopping power, yes?

Ride On,

Zeke

Offline TRPLE

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 01:18:45 pm »
I have a CB500 and was likewise disappointed. I ended up buying a braided stainless line for my single caliper. They make a bolt that includes a pressure switch, Dennis Kirk catalog sells it for $15. It just bolts the top banjo into the master cylinder. I think my brakes feel great now. It doesn't increase total braking capacity (only swept are will do that)  but it sure adds confidence.

- Matt
'76 Honda CB400F
'72 Yamaha CS5
'09 Guzzi Griso 8v

Offline CB750R

• Hot Shot
  • 77 CB750F
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 07:41:33 pm »
I have a complete front end from a 77 with dual discs, wheel, and forks.... I bet it doesn't get easier than that....

Offline mgilvary

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 04:36:05 pm »
Are you just telling me that to rub it in?

Offline Zeke

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 04:53:35 pm »
Are you just telling me that to rub it in?

Maybe he is, but seriously it didn't cost me that much to get my parts off ebay.  Of course, most of them need a bit of love, but I guess that's part of owning an old motorcycle, yeah?

I've got about $100 in parts and really only need to put a bit of elbow grease and maybe a mastercyl rebuild to get it on.

Zeke

Offline mgilvary

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 05:25:08 pm »
I'm getting a second caliper off of eBay right now, and I have a line on a dual-disc master cyl. off of a 750.

Does anyone have any good sources for steel-braided lines?

Offline CB750R

• Hot Shot
  • 77 CB750F
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 09:50:01 pm »
no I was trying to say I have some spare parts if you are needing to invest in them, sorry.   However in  hindsight I'm in the same dam boat, it only has one caliper as well.  I'm in the process of putting on a set of FZR600 wheels suspension, and brakes, to spice the old girl up a bit, good luck with your project!!

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 05:23:07 am »
I'm getting a second caliper off of eBay right now, and I have a line on a dual-disc master cyl. off of a 750.

Does anyone have any good sources for steel-braided lines?
Are you making them or do you want assembled pieces?
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline mgilvary

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 10:23:03 am »
Are you making them or do you want assembled pieces?

I guess that depends on price and complexity. How hard is to make them myself?  Since I've got drag bars, standard length hoses might be too long.