Poll

What should I do with this bike?

Restore it?
9 (20.9%)
Customize it?
21 (48.8%)
Just get it going and beat the ever living snot out of it?
10 (23.3%)
Part it out on evilbay?
3 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Project "Hard Luck - The Red Racer" - updated 07/30/2010 w/new project!!!  (Read 104231 times)

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
Re: K8 Project "Parts Bike" - Updated 4/24/2010 w/pics
« Reply #400 on: April 25, 2010, 10:04:13 am »
NO stripes....one color paint with clear, color sanded and buffed out.

~Joe

+1
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
Re: K8 Project "Parts Bike" - Updated 4/25/2010 w/pics
« Reply #401 on: April 25, 2010, 05:50:43 pm »
Managed not to have to work today (YAY!!) so I was able to get some painting done.

Got the paint all mixed together

Got the first coat of red on all the pieces:

After a couple more coats and I was ready to see what it looked like on the bike:

My wife really got me to thinking about the multiple stripes, but after thinking about it, and seeing Eddie (I LOVED Van Halen growing up), I decided that this bike wasn't the project for it.  I decided to go the classic stripes. For those who vote no stripes, I hear what you are saying, but after looking at the bike, I really feel it needed something else.

Starting to mask it off:
Using blue painters tape to "Measure out" a 2" stripe. Outlined that with 1/4 tape and then used that same tape to "measure out" my small 1/4" stripe.

Got the lines in the right places:

Got the rest masked off getting ready to shoot the black:

At that point it was late, I was tired and really high on paint fumes. Plus I didn't feel like cleaning out my paint gun a second time today. Black can wait until tomorrow.

On a side note, those plastic party cup are not good for holding automotive paint after it has been mixed with reducer.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 05:52:34 pm by KB02 »
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
I've always liked the off center straight stripes. FWIW
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
Yea I think its going to look fantastic!

Good choice..

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline nitroeagle

Looks good. I'm not a painter, but I've heard that regular automotive paint(in a sprayer) shouldn't be sprayed over rattle cans. Something about fish oil in the rattle can paint. Just hate to see a lot of hard work messed up. Either way, good luck and it still looks good. I do like the off center stripes.

Offline KB02

• Old Timer
Well, the only thing with a little rattle can paint on it is the front fender. Everything else was either stripped or bare to begin with. Hopefully the fender hold up. If not, I've got extra paint.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline KB02

• Old Timer
Painted on the black:

And pealed back the masking:

Had a little bleed though at the corner of the seat. I'm not too worried about it as the seat pad will cover it.

Should have some time to put everything back on the bike for another shot tomorrow before I go to work (after my dentist appointment :P ).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 04:45:26 am by KB02 »
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
Painting on the black:

And pealed back the masking:

Had a little bleed though at the corner of the seat. I'm not too worried about it as the seat pad will cover it.

Should have some time to put everything back on the bike for another shot tomorrow before I go to work (after my dentist appointment :P ).

Very cool, love the rims and with that strip and paint it will just pop..

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline HavocTurbo

• Angry little bastard of an
  • Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
Gorgeous!!

Not bad for a home garage paint job eh?
'48 HD Panhead - Exxon Valdez
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
'78 Honda CB750K - Mavrik
'80 Yamaha XS850G - Kanibalistik
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline KB02

• Old Timer
I got great advise from the guy at the paint supply shop - and from reading this forum, of course.  ;D ;D ;)
This is the paint gun that I am using:

Lots of prep really helps, too.

My town was one of the lucky ones in the northeast that did not get any snow accumulation. My father in law got 6" of snow at his house. A few towns away from him got 14". AND my dentist told me I needed a crown (always new I was a King). Needless to say I didn't get the painted parts on the bike for a pic yesterday.  I will try when I get home from work today. It will still be cold, but the snow is supposed to stop mid day.  :P

I think I need to do something on my side covers. I think there may be too much red. We'll see. The strip really helps and the seat pad helps break up the red for sure, but I might need something on the side. I see what the forum thinks. I  still need to paint on the clear.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

Offline KB02

• Old Timer
Got a couple of pics of everything on the bike:

I still need to work on the dash. It sits too tall. I tried a few different methods after taking the pics. Still haven't found the right way to do it. I need to hurry. With any luck I should be able to spray on the clear coat this weekend and then the dash and electrics are basically all that are holding me back.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
I was unsure about the colors of the engine when you painted them, but with the bodywork, the bike looks incredible.

Offline KB02

• Old Timer
Thanks. It's not done yet, but it sure has come a long way, huh?

Then:

Now:

Hard to believe that these two are actually the same bike. :D I still want to re-do the seat pad and I need to figure something out for the side covers. Maybe get the SOHC4.net logo on there somehow...
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
Looks great, yea the side covers need some attention.. sohc4.net logo would look pretty good I think! ;) The rims where a nice choice and so was the front fender..

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline KB02

• Old Timer
Got three coats of clear sprayed on my stuff. Didn't quite come out the way I had hoped. Got some areas that are still fairly matte like and couple small spots of orange peal that I've got to address. Being my first attempt at painting with real equipment, though, I'm not too disappointed. And since I have three layers of clear, some wet sanding should help to smooth things right out.

Man, the clear dries fast. I put the left over clear (mixed with hardener) that was in my gun after I was finished and poured it in an old Tupperware container (About a half inch of liquid). Within about an hour, it was already dried to the point of feeling like a hard gel.

I also got the dash re-mounted. It's not quite as stable as I wanted it, but much better that the previous design for mounting (and looks better, too). Now I have to get the dash plate polished up so that I can mount everything to it and get it all wired up. Then it's onto the state inspection station. Then I'm good to go.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 03:07:33 am by KB02 »
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

Offline KB02

• Old Timer
Re: K8 Project "Parts Bike" - Updated 5/6/2010 w/silly video...
« Reply #415 on: May 06, 2010, 05:25:13 pm »
Got the dash all sorted out and wired up. Had a small problem with the Neutral and oil lights. Couldn't figure out why they would not come on. Then I read that TurboGrimace was having a similar problem and someone mentioned that LED's are directional as far as wiring goes. Made me realize that I have wired them up backwards.  ::)  I need a new light for the high beam indicator. The one I had stopped working. I think I might have broken it trying to get the lights figured out.

The gauges don't light up as much as I had hoped they would, but I can see them, and that's what's important.

1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

Offline KB02

• Old Timer
Passed State inspection today! I am now registered, inspected, insured and on the road!!

Took a few test rides around town. I need to do some more carb tuning, plug chops, etc... BUT, It's on the road and legal.  ;D

Hopefully this is the last time it will have to be on a trailer, but this was the trip to inspection:

It took me three years to get to this point. After a few test rides, I found a good spot to take some pics:

1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
That is a killer ride!!! I bet its fun as hell riding her around. You did a great job!!

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline KB02

• Old Timer
I re-did the seat. I am much happier with the new look. We'll see about comfort later, but the first seat wasn't much for comfort anyway.

Old:

New:

1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

traveler

She really looks good.

How is she for power?

If you want more "pop"...take it from me, 2 teeth smaller on the front sprocket will make her REALLY come alive!

~Joe

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
OH MAN! Looking Killer!! Awesome job dude!  I bet those three years were all worth it... that think looks SLICK~!  Not gonna lie...at first I wasn't super crazy about the red engine cases... BUT DAMN! With that paint...it's MAGNIFICENTLY TANTILIZING~!  Excellent man...Excellent!

Offline KB02

• Old Timer
Thanks, Hednut.  ;D  They're never done. But I'm psyched that I can finally ride it now.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

Offline KB02

• Old Timer
Re: K8 Project "Parts Bike" - CRAP!!! - updated 5/31/2010
« Reply #422 on: May 31, 2010, 04:39:46 am »
After just under 200 miles of riding the front wheel bearing are completely destroyed. I'll do some work on it tonight and post pictures of what catastrophic failure of a wheel bearing looks like.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #423 on: May 31, 2010, 06:03:01 am »
OH NO!! Sorry to hear that!... as long as you're safe and mader' home...I hope all is well and you can get it going again fast!
  Were they new bearings? 

Offline KB02

• Old Timer
« Reply #424 on: May 31, 2010, 12:06:39 pm »
Yeah, all brand new bearings. Fortunately they are fairly common and the local bike shops are likely to have some. Of course, they are all closed today for Memorial Day.

I rode the bike to work this weekend (teaching Motorcycle classes) and I could tell that something was wrong. It was getting worse. At our lunch break I rode about mile to get some food, when I came back, the other coach was astonished that he could hear something wrong as I rode back in. We propped up the front end and took out the front axle and pieces of bearing litterally fell out. The weird thing was that there was NO WOBLE TO THE WHEEL AT ALL!! The front wheel was just as steady as it ever was.

The other that sucks is that I just bought a custom made Speedometer made up for the bike and shipped 3-Day shipping. It didn't even last for 30 miles. ($70+ down the drain... :'( )
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!