Author Topic: painting engine  (Read 1952 times)

Offline cb650 bobber

• Expert I ain't no stinken
  • Expert
  • stupid gloripope
painting engine
« on: June 29, 2007, 08:54:32 am »
what paint is safe to paint engine black...will it hurt it to paint...cause engine to overheat.
"I make a point of staying right at the edge of poverty. I don't have a pair of pants without a hole in them, and the only pair of boots I have are on my feet. I don't mess around with unnecessary stuff, so I don't need much money. Von Dutch

Offline Somemonkey

• Enthusiast
  • somemonkey.com
    • 1976 Honda cb550
Re: painting engine
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 09:53:46 am »
I'm not expert but from what I understand, you can use any heat resistant paint. Most autoparts stores like NAPA and auto zone sell it.

1976 Honda cb550

kbfromvt_400F

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 10:07:10 am »
what paint is safe to paint engine black...will it hurt it to paint...cause engine to overheat.

I'm kind of new here, but I can recall at least half a dozen posts that I've seen, which discuss this topic.  If you do a search I'm sure you'll find a handful.

From what I remember, seems like painting is A-ok, powdercoating is a no go because of heat retention.  Many paint companies make engine paint which can withstand upwards of 500degree temps.  Probably best not to have 20 coats on there, so you may want to remove any old paint first

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 05:57:08 am »
I just painted a set of cases with Duplicolor aluminum engine enamel. It is a great product. Very durable.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline jtb

• An unlikely
  • Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 08:25:02 am »
One year on Duplicolor, no problems other than a nick where I dropped a scredriver.
1977 CB750F
1985 V65 Sabre
1986 VFR 750 (gone but missed greatly)

Offline UnCrash

• Pass
  • Master
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 07:19:21 pm »
Ok, it's been a while since these posts but I just have to ask.

The Duplicolor engine enamel that I googled was a rattlecan.  MReick do you rattlecan your cases?

I've had great success with rattlecans myself on other projects and with good prep, masking, wet sanding and a clearcoat can look as good as a professional job just from two feet further away.

This will be just fine for my bike. 

What say you?

:)
You can't make too much popcorn, but you can definately eat too much popcorn.

Offline hcritz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 05:01:54 am »
Morning Mrieck....
Just finished polishing my covers and shot the engine with the Duplicor Silver engine enamel...
Looks a bit dark in shade from the original paint...do you still have the can with the color number on it??? I wonder if they have several shades of silver???
Paint went on well and looks great...just looks a bit dark???
Thanks,
HC

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 06:45:19 am »
Morning Mrieck....
Just finished polishing my covers and shot the engine with the Duplicor Silver engine enamel...
Looks a bit dark in shade from the original paint...do you still have the can with the color number on it??? I wonder if they have several shades of silver???
Paint went on well and looks great...just looks a bit dark???
Thanks,
HC
Part # is DE1615
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline hcritz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 06:29:00 am »
Thanks MRieck!
That's the same number as I used
After I got it outside and out of the Fluorescent light...it looks fine...It may lighten a bit as it curs as well.
Seems to be pretty tough paint...I painted a piece of scrap alum. and the paint stripper barely touched it.