Poll

Please take a look at carbs here

rebuild carbs
1 (33.3%)
buy spares to rebuild
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Project Jasper - 1976 Honda CB550F - Building a cafe racer - lots of pics  (Read 14873 times)

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
CLICK HERE TO VIEW PICS OF ALL THE PROGRESS MADE

Okay, here's the deal folks...  Jasper was a runner, but when the carbs started acting up, Jasper was parked for 3 years.  Now, front & rear brakes are frozen, and I will need to go through all the usual for a sitting bike in order to get him back on the road.  Jasper is very jealous of Cassandra, however, the look that we're shooting for is not old school like Cassandra....  The only reason Jasper is jealous of Cassandra is because she's a runner and gets ridden at least once every week.  He's lonely being parked an broken down...  Time to build him back up.

The goal for project Jasper is CAFE RACER:
black powder coat on the engine & pipes - bought new pipes off ebay, decided not to paint engine black
new paint & custom graphics - paint is done.... might get some airbrushing done
new seat
new tires (maybe a big fat tire in the back - white wall maybe) - white wall is out now, decided against it
carb rebuild - carbs could not be rebuilt - bought more off ebay
dyna ignition
dual disk brakes in front
single disk brake in rear
new handlebars - bought them, & they are on the bike, need to run cables/wires
gel battery
custom tach and speedo illuminated background
new chain (had to cut the old one just to get Jasper moved!!) - DONE
stainless steel breaklines
lowering shocks - went with Red Wings, did not lower
spin on oil filter adapter

With my experience in dealing with modification and repair, I am certain that the list will get longer as something will break or I will find more problems with this bike as I get into the project. 

Other additions since the start of the project:
Air pods
new front & rear sprocket
cut front and rear fenders

« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 08:48:59 am by Hope »

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
Re: Project Jasper - 1976 Honda CB550F
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 09:50:57 am »
another pic
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 09:57:39 am by Hope »

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 11:12:51 am »
Add to list:
Check gas tank for rust and eliminate any possibility for ongoing fuel contamination.  Do this before carb rebuild.  Or, add second carb rebuild to list.

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 07:47:55 pm »
Two tired, took your advise about looking the tank over.  I dedicated the 4th of July to addressing the tank.  Click here to see pics.

We took the tank off and cleaned the tank.  Also took the pipes off.  Deciding to dent or not to dent on the tank, and whether we would like a large dent or small dent.  Click the link above to look at the options for denting the tank.  You can help us decide small or large dent.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Large Dent

Small Dent
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 06:27:00 am by Hope »

Offline Ingrid

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 08:00:12 am »
My two cents in favour of large

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 10:28:54 am »
So far, the vote is 4 & 0.  Looks like we're going with the large dent.  Please chime in if you want to contribute your input for the denting of this tank.

Also.... check out these rigged up brackets for the headlights.

The new Clubman handlebars are due to be here Tuesday, so we will probably re-wire the headlights back to the original controls.  So it is likely the next week will be spent reviewing wiring diagrams.

Our local powder coater said that the 4 to 1 pipes get too hot & could not be powder coated.  They told us to send the pipes off to Jet Hot (http://www.jet-hot.com/).  Is this true that 4 to 1 pipes cannot be powder coated?  Jet Hot wants $250 to coat these pipes.  Right now there are Mac 4 to 1 pipes on ebay for $250 new.

If you have a better deal on 4 to 1 pipes, or if you know for certain that the pipes can be powder coated, please chime in and help me move forward on these pipes.

Offline bradweingartner

• 74 CB 550 x2
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 11:50:31 am »
Even the high temp powder coats are still relatively low on the spectrum compared to ceramic coats. You might want to try performancecoatings.com they do a coating pretty much the same as Jet Hot for a more reasonable price.

Ceramic coating has the benefit of holding in exhaust heat which will give you both better performance and in the way of an air cooled bike its conceiveable that you'll lower your head temperature as well. I've been looking at getting into doing ceramic coatings in house as well.

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 12:23:49 pm »
As far as denting the tank goes:  IF the purpose is for looks only- do what you want.
If function enters the picture, then put it and the rider on the bike bike and dent where the knees require.  If the big dent isn't where the knees are, then go with the small dent.

Exhaust temps are around 1300 degrees.  Typical powder cure cycles are 325-375°F @ 12-20 minutes

Check out Eastwoodco.com for do it yourself.

Good write up on powder coating:

http://my.execpc.com/~davewrit/Powder.html

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 02:36:23 pm »
Large dent won.  Voting closed.  Here are pics of the dent (right side of tank):

Tools used:

Cafe denting kit (pictured above) can now be purchased for $29.95 US Dollars.  PM me..  Just kidding!!!!

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 09:04:18 am »
The next step we will be taking with the pipes:

Duplicolor High Heat - these are the details listed on the web site, along with an instructional video http://www.duplicolor.com/training/highheat_training.html

· Maximum heat dissipation and gloss retention.
· Resists temperatures up to 1200˚F intermittently.
· Resists oil, gas, grease, rust salt, humidity and solvents.
· Available in 6 colors.

Please let me know if any of you guys have tried it and how it worked for you

Offline mark

• finds nothing amusing about being an
  • Old Timer
  • we're out here and this is where we are.
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 10:51:21 pm »
The next step we will be taking with the pipes:

Duplicolor High Heat - these are the details listed on the web site, along with an instructional video http://www.duplicolor.com/training/highheat_training.html

· Maximum heat dissipation and gloss retention.
· Resists temperatures up to 1200˚F intermittently.
· Resists oil, gas, grease, rust salt, humidity and solvents.
· Available in 6 colors.

Please let me know if any of you guys have tried it and how it worked for you

For the price of Jet-Hot or something like it, you could easily buy enough rattlecans to keep the pipes black for a long time. On the other hand, it will not cost $250 every time a rock chip or scuff needs touching up.
A buddy of mine got a pair of 340 Dodge exhaust manifolds Jet-Hot-ed about 7-8 years ago and they haven't changed a bit.
Paint should work just fine on the engine parts.
1976 CB550K, 1973 CB350G, 1964 C100

F you mark...... F you.

Offline xtalon

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 03:46:56 am »
Here are pics of the dent (right side of tank):

Nice job Hope!  Looks like it turned out excellent.

--xTalon
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Yamaha R6v
2009 Ducati SportsClassic Bi-posto

Offline Cvillechopper

• Is just pretending to be an
  • Expert
  • If not for my failures I'd never know my limits
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 05:36:15 am »
I've used the Duplicolor high-heat on a buddies pipes and on both of our engines.  Until it cures (a couple of weeks) it'll be really easy to chip, dent, etc.  After that, assuming you get the surface prepared well, it should hold reasonably well for the cost.  I've dropped a ratchet onto the case while working on the 550 and it just dented slightly, but didn't take the color off.  That's got to count for something. 
Be very careful with gas until it cures.  It'll take the paint off like it was really dark dirt.  After it cures it is MUCH more resistant to gas.

Just my 2c worth.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.  Aristotle

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 01:58:42 pm »
Ended up getting a set of black 4to1 Mac pipes on fleabay for $175.  Got my carb rebuild kits in and my clubman handle bars....  time to get busy again.

Also, thanks --xTalon....  will be posting the finished product after it is bondo'd and painted.

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 10:08:10 am »
Would you rebuild these carbs, or would you look for spares on ebay to rebuild?  (I have already bought 4 rebuild kits).

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 10:28:26 am by Hope »

masonryman

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2007, 10:23:04 am »
  The tank is cool, I spray canned the pipe on my Ninja, it did not hold.
 Rebuild always, because if you have not been in them you just don't know and all it takes is one little piece of rust to screw up the whole works so you might as well get used to getting in them.

I use "The works" toilet bowl cleaner to clear out the air passages and remove corrosion inside the carbs.
Good luck, it's lookin good

Mark

dgfischer

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2007, 10:37:30 am »
Would you rebuild these carbs, or would you look for spares on ebay to rebuild?  (I have already bought 4 rebuild kits).

I would search for another set of carbs. The corrosion looks to be very heavy and the castings usually get very thin where the main jet sits and the float post get broken very easily. You would need to get the main jet spring clips also (unless you have removed them).

Daniel

EDIT:
  The carbs look to be trash. If the float can be turned around like in the picture, It has alot of corrosion and the post has been corroded away (the post have "extensions" on them to keep the floats from falling too far when installed)
   On the same carb, it looks like the part where the main jet would sit is completely eroded away to the emulsion tube and the jet would not stay sealed.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 10:46:58 am by dgfischer »

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
Re: Project Jasper - 1976 Honda CB550F - New poll please vote about carbs!!!
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2007, 11:09:13 am »

I would search for another set of carbs. The corrosion looks to be very heavy and the castings usually get very thin where the main jet sits and the float post get broken very easily. You would need to get the main jet spring clips also (unless you have removed them).

Daniel

EDIT:
  The carbs look to be trash. If the float can be turned around like in the picture, It has alot of corrosion and the post has been corroded away (the post have "extensions" on them to keep the floats from falling too far when installed)
   On the same carb, it looks like the part where the main jet would sit is completely eroded away to the emulsion tube and the jet would not stay sealed.

That being said, I guess I am looking to buy some spares.  Anyone have any at decent prices?  Please email me.  Please send pics if you have 'em.

masonryman

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2007, 11:24:28 am »
Holy cow!!!! those pics did not load last time when I posted the last post. I would soak them and see what I could save, but you need to be looking for another set.

I made an offer on a set that did not meet the reserve and got them for 35.00 shipping included. Many different carbs will work with the only dif being the jets

Offline mark

• finds nothing amusing about being an
  • Old Timer
  • we're out here and this is where we are.
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2007, 12:07:49 pm »
YUCK!!!!!!!!!

Those carbs are about as nasty as they can get.

I'd look for some more. ::)

Happy trails.

EDIT: Try to find some around here first.
If the ebay seller doesn't show a pic with a float bowl removed, his carbs might look like yours - bid accordingly.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 08:02:17 am by madmark73 »
1976 CB550K, 1973 CB350G, 1964 C100

F you mark...... F you.

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
Re: Project Jasper - 1976 Honda CB550F - New pics 9/3/07
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2007, 09:29:53 am »
I bought some carbs off ebay, and put them on the bike.  I don't think they will need to be rebuilt.  I also put the pipes back on the bike... and I put the Clubman handlebars on...  also have been working on the tank.  I am hoping to get the tank ready for paint soon, of course I will post pics when paint is complete.

New pics of progress can be seen at http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z316/brfuel/Project%20Jasper/

Anyone willing to re-cover my seat for some graphic designer services?  I can design your business cards, logos, whatever you need designed in exchange for my seat being re-covered to fit my cafe racer project.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 09:35:35 am by Hope »

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 01:21:05 pm »
Sorry to let you folks down as far as showing you what a Maaco paint job would look like...  I try to be resourceful as far as checking out all of my options and I learned that I can get the inmates at the prison to paint it for free.  I just buy the supplies.

I know it sounds crazaaay to let some inmates paint my tank and side covers, but the inmates did an excellent job on my seat (for my 75 550K).... and I paid nothing....

When I get my spares painted, I will definitely post pics....  I am very eager to see my new paint job... Now, to pick my color and get some good paint!

Also, I plan to get the seat covered for the 76 550F...

I also learned that they have a mechanics shop, so my cafe' build time might be cut in half!!!!

Will post more pics when the tank is painted!!!

Offline putnaja1

• Hot Shot
  • '77 CB 550k -Was gonna cafe, but looks cool stock!
    • Jason's Wacky Website
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 06:20:27 pm »
Cool project, Hope!  Can't wait to see what it looks like when you get done!
Play Pinball!
My Gallery!
"The world is divided into people who do things, people who get the credit and people who continually criticize.  Try, if you can, to belong to the first class of people.  There's far less competition"

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2007, 12:02:14 pm »
Progress...

New carbs are on, pods are on (no pic yet though, new red wing shocks are on (no pics yet), clubmans are on, new black 4 to 1 Mac pipes are on.  I cut the front fender and the back fender.  I dropped them into a bucket of wood bleach and they shined up nicely.  Tank is going to body shop on Monday for fresh orange paint.  Will have some airbrush work done after the paint is finished.  The seat is off to the upholstery shop next week.  Rear wheel is off now.  About to go get some tires.  Polished the back hub aluminum.

I cleaned the old shocks and put them on ebay (they cleaned up good).  I also ordered the wrong pods, so those are back on ebay.

Will post more pics soon!!!!!  What size jets do I need with these pod filters and mac 4 pipes???

Offline Hope

• How did I become an
  • Expert
  • SOHC member since '01
Re: Project Jasper - 1976 Honda CB550F - lots of pics
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2007, 04:26:55 pm »
Slow and steady wins the race... still working on Project Japser