Author Topic: What's an air box?(noob)  (Read 1699 times)

Offline bozo4onion

• Hot Shot
What's an air box?(noob)
« on: July 18, 2007, 10:30:03 am »
Seriously, my bike (550F) doesn't have one. It runs fair but stinks and makes unpleasant noises. I'm looking for a box but I need to know what to look for. I have seen the soft tubes that connect the carbs to the air box (if that is the air box, I've heard plenum also). I think I have seen pics. of another box that may house the filter. I've ordered a manual(Clymer OK?). Can you guys describe the system from the carb-hole (cool game name?) to the atmosphere so I can look for parts. Thanks for helping.

Mark in KY

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: What's an air box?(noob)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 10:31:04 am »
it  holds the filter
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
  • humanitas, qualitas, quantitas and velocitas
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 10:39:11 am »
Seriously, my bike (550F) doesn't have one. It runs fair but stinks and makes unpleasant noises. I'm looking for a box but I need to know what to look for. I have seen the soft tubes that connect the carbs to the air box (if that is the air box, I've heard plenum also). I think I have seen pics. of another box that may house the filter. I've ordered a manual(Clymer OK?). Can you guys describe the system from the carb-hole (cool game name?) to the atmosphere so I can look for parts. Thanks for helping.

Mark in KY

The airbox (as mentioned) holds your air filter.  It is a box with 4 holes in the front to connect to the carbs (rubber boots in-between).  There is much debate about airboxes.  I'll try to hit a couple of hi-lights for you.  They are awful to remove and replace - just one of those "you can't get there from here" experiences.  If you run without one, you've likely changed your carb jet needs.  The better you make your bike breath, the leaner you'll run and probably need to "jet up".  My personal recommendation (after using pods for a while) is to get as close to factory as possible (put an airbox on) so it's easier to make the bike run right. 

To get the one you need, you may want to post on this forum or cruise ebay.  They are a common item for sale.  You will probably put out between 20 and 45 bucks for one.  Make sure the one you get is compatible with your bike.  I'm not familiar with the 550 airbox but plenty of folks on this forum are. 
K6
K7 
Suzuki GN400 - Ignition fixed!
03 KLR650 - Doesn't do anything very well but.. well.. does everything.

Offline bozo4onion

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 10:43:50 am »
Is the box one piece? It doesn't seem like filter will fit in the boxes I've seen. Essentially describe all the parts I'll need.
Thanks

Offline scondon

• No way my run was THAT slow, must be an
  • Old Timer
  • Mmmm......tasty bugs
Give me..a frame to build a bike on, and my imagination will build upon that frame

Offline 333

• Time for change
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Mail List Member #162 - Call me Stan
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 11:21:28 am »
The parts list is great.  But the Honda service manual is better that a Clymer or Chiltons.  No one knows more about the bike than the people that made it.  Check the FAQ section, the thread is "manuals"
Go metric, every inch of the way!

CB350F0  "Scrouching Tiger"
CT70K0    "Sneezing Poodle"

www.alexandriaseaport.org

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 11:47:54 am »
The 550 (and others) have a plenum between the air filter box and the carbs.  I have a feeling this is what you're talking about.  It doesn't have anything inside it, it's just to connect the carbs with the filter. 

Offline bozo4onion

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 12:50:47 pm »
Holy crap, where will I find all that stuff in the diagram. There's nothing but a hole where that stuff goes on mine. Any ideas? Partss still available? Salvage yard?

Offline ChevelleSSLS6

• Enthusiast
  • Member #4051
    • my myspace, yay.
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 12:55:28 pm »
look in the classified ads section here, there might be an airbox for a 550.
"What about incomplete idiots?" -TwoTired
"What's a leakdown test?  I filled the cylinder that looks like this with some water and let it sit overnight. The water didn't go down any.  I thought that would tell me about the rings." -Dead Guy of AMCforums

1977 CB550f- sold
2007 Kawi EX650- curre

Offline dustyc

• I don't know why anyone would call me an
  • Expert
  • 1977 CB750K
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 12:57:59 pm »
If you check in the classifieds here, you'll find people selling them occasionally.  Or ebay. 

http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?board=35.0

I am debating whether to keep mine or sell it.  I'm going with pod air filters, but I might keep it if I ever want to go back to stock.
1977 CB750

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 01:15:03 pm »
I have a 40K picture of exactly what you need on your 550.  But, the forum site will not accept it in the post.
The site is up against the stocks on space Lloyd. I think Glenn is looking to transfer to a new service. If you can't host externally and point to the image, email it to him (or me, and I'll put it up).
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Offline 333

• Time for change
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Mail List Member #162 - Call me Stan
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 06:44:51 pm »
The classified or ebay is your best bet.  Maybe even a salvage yard if you have one close to you.  Or it may be easier to forgo the stock look and get the pods.  You'll have to re-jet, but that may be a good thing
Go metric, every inch of the way!

CB350F0  "Scrouching Tiger"
CT70K0    "Sneezing Poodle"

www.alexandriaseaport.org

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 06:55:52 pm »
Someone must be able to put up a photo for this guy?

no 550s in my shed.

Offline bozo4onion

• Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 06:22:06 am »
First, thanks for all the help. This is my first post. OK, I see air boxes for sale on eBay and they are showing the plenum. The plenum seems to be available on Honda cycle parts direct for $90. I haven't even seen any of the other parts on the bay. Oh, well the search is half the fun. Maybe a fourth. I don't really need a photo. The diagram shows all. Thanks again.
Mark