Author Topic: Fuel line and T-Fittings  (Read 1745 times)

Shiftredline

Fuel line and T-Fittings
« on: July 14, 2007, 09:11:11 pm »
Ok guys, First I want to thanks everyone here making this great site. With that being said, i have a 76 cb550k that i just got running today. I have been slowly working on this this for the last 1 1/2 years.

Yes I have used the search function:
I have notice some on here have had to change petcocks and that the original had two out let and the new has one. I did what some one here said to and that was to buy a T-fitting. I notice when I went out for the first time today that is the bike was running real strong and then it was only running on two cylinders. I believe this is from uneven flow of fuel from the t fitting. If the bike is straight up and down (Center Stand) the bike is fine. I noticed this when i was turning.

Can someone send me a pic of the set up they have to give me an Idea.

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 05:05:21 am by Shiftredline »

Shiftredline

Re: Fuel line and T-Fittings
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 07:29:18 am »
Bump

Offline jalfonso

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 08:58:21 am »
I would like to help but I have the stock fuel petcock with two outlets on my 74 550K.  I'm assuming you replaced your stock petcock with a pingel or something similar.  What was your rationale for doing this?  I've considered doing this since the petcock never really seems to shut completely off. 

John Alfonso
1974 CB550 Four
1982 750F Super Sport

Offline scondon

• No way my run was THAT slow, must be an
  • Old Timer
  • Mmmm......tasty bugs
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 10:07:01 am »
  Sorry, no pics at the moment. I'll try and describe my set-up as best as possible.

"T" fitting is placed upright at the back of the carbs, just above fuel inlet for 1&2 carbs. Single line from petcock attached to the left arm of the "T". 1&2 inlet line is very short(less than 2") and attaches to the bottom leg of the "T". 3&4 inlet line is about 5" long, or "just enough" to reach the fuel inlet. The shorter the length of line to 3&4, the more the "T" will tilt to the right allowing gravity to do its job getting fuel to those carbs.
Give me..a frame to build a bike on, and my imagination will build upon that frame

Shiftredline

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 04:23:31 pm »
I think I understand. What I did was a half inch line from petcock to the t-fitting then just connected the rest of the fuel lines in a way that they dont kink. Would a y fitting work better the way you have it. I will try to post a pic of what i have. Thanks

Shiftredline

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 04:26:33 pm »
I would like to help but I have the stock fuel petcock with two outlets on my 74 550K.  I'm assuming you replaced your stock petcock with a pingel or something similar.  What was your rationale for doing this?  I've considered doing this since the petcock never really seems to shut completely off. 

My tank was so rusted that I could not rebuild the petcock. Sad thing is service honda does not carry the original petcock or any thing close. I did find the one I needed on ebay but it only had a single outlet instead of two.

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 09:04:52 am »
My 360 petcock (2 outlets) was leaking and I noticed a 79/80 would fit but it had a single outlet. 
Just tee'd it to the carbs and has been fine.

Terry
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker

Offline Somemonkey

• Enthusiast
  • somemonkey.com
    • 1976 Honda cb550
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 10:46:19 am »

I've had the same issue with my petcock not turning off all the way. I took it apart and cleaned it out. All I accomplished was breaking the dome and making it worse. If you want, you can read about it on my blog. 1976 CB550

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 11:17:15 am »
if yours mounts to the tank with two screws,i just bought one off ebay and i think the seller had more than one.
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Shiftredline

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 03:32:13 pm »
if yours mounts to the tank with two screws,i just bought one off ebay and i think the seller had more than one.

Only the 76 550k came with different style petcock. It is a single threat bung style. I was able to get a nos of the petcock but with one outlet instead of two. They discontinued the original.