Author Topic: Signal Flasher  (Read 1929 times)

Offline gregk

• Hot Shot
Signal Flasher
« on: June 09, 2006, 10:29:43 am »

I don't see anything wrong with using an aoutmotive style flasher in my bike, but what is the difference between the three and two prong units?

Greg
I don't want it to go like a motorcycle, I want it to go like a rocket!

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Signal Flasher
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 11:28:56 am »
The 2-terminal electromechanical flasher's flash rate is directly dependent on the lamp current, 2-terminal electronic ones have a more constant flash rate. The electronic ones, however, start dark; ie when you switch on the turn signalr there's no signal light for a 1/2 second or so before the flashing starts... this bothers me especially in highway lane changes where I want the signal NOW. Electromechanical ones start ON.
3-terminal flashers with a ground connection have a rate effectively independent of lamp current, usually used on trucks or whatever with a lot of signal lamps. There are 3-terminal flashers that are different, they have 2 outputs for alternating outputs (or something) and do not connect to ground. They are really 2-terminal models with an extra lamp output. Avoid these!
If you want to use LED signals (or just like a constant flashing speed) the electronic grounded 3-terminal flasher is the way to go. LED lamps don't take enough power to activate an electromechanical 2-terminal flasher so they don't flash, just stay on. A 3-terminal grounded electromechanical one wastes power heating the flasher mechanism, the eelctronic ones use less juice..

Offline gregk

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 11:54:25 am »

Bodi

The bike ( 76 400F) has a two terminal flasher  ( doesn't work) now but it looks like it was originally a three terminal.  I assume that there should be not problem replacing the two terminal with a like unit?

greg
I don't want it to go like a motorcycle, I want it to go like a rocket!

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 12:31:31 pm »
bodi,good post.tt might have some competition on his hands. ;D
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 12:36:29 pm »
My  local Advance Auto Parts stocks a two prong electronic flasher relay.  It's the same shape as the old "beer can" style, but made of clear plastic and is slightly larger.  About $12 and works great. 

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 01:26:04 pm »
The CB750 had originally a two-prong flasher, but the wire loom had a spare grey connector -to ground- in case you needed to use a three-prong blinker. Plug and play.

Raul

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 01:37:54 pm »
Plug and play

And years ahead of Bill Gates at that.  ;D
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline CerBeR

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 01:06:06 am »
don't want to start a new topic about the same.

can anyone tell me how to check a cb750 two prong flasher off the bike ?

thanks guys