Author Topic: Nighthawk 550 Bobber/Chopper, kinda  (Read 52869 times)

pikeymick

Re: Nighthawk 550 Bobber/Chopper, kinda
« Reply #175 on: October 09, 2010, 11:38:43 pm »
And it's with both embarrassment and relief that I make this post tonight. It's alive! I rebuilt the carburetor what must've been 18 times over the past weeks since my last post. This morning I decided to give it one more go. I stripped the carbs down earlier this week to let everything dry out. I set the biggest pot I could find to boil with some lemon juice from the lemon tree. (Don't tell my roommates) I let the carbs simmer for about 4-5 minutes. Then took my time and reassembled everything taking my time, and double checking everything.

I put the carbs back on and fired it up, with little anticipation after these attempts I've stopped expecting it to work. Sure enough,  1 & 2... So I drop to the floor and plead with the damn thing to give me some kind of a sign. It was quiet.

So I started pulling the plugs. Maybe just maybe they're fouled. Nope they're clean, and slightly wet with gas. I clean em up, and check for spark. Spark. As they're sparking I'm starring down into the cylinder. I can see piston 4 coming up and down up and down. Then I start thinking back to when I had the engine apart and I was playing with it and I noticed that 1 & 4 seemed to be on similar strokes. And then it occurred to me that I had the coils setup for 1 & 3, and 2 & 4. What if the spark is just out of phase cause I have the wires wrong?

Wires switched, fire it up, and it screams to life.

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #176 on: October 10, 2010, 11:54:51 pm »
Its always the simple #$%* ain't it... I've been there before TRUST me  ::)  But hey look at it this way... the carbs are REALLY clean now and you know the spark plugs and coils work properly  ;D  Congrats on getting it running!
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Sent from my Texas Instruments TI99/4A Computer

Offline popssss

« Reply #177 on: November 24, 2010, 07:06:08 pm »
We are Bike Brothers...in three ways - we have the same year/model Bike...paid the same for them....turning them into Cafe bikes.
I've got mine torn down pretty good, now I want to lower the front end.

The engine has 16K miles on it and cranked over easily, but didn't start due to no tank hooked up, starter fluid got it spinning more quickly though, so I'm not worried.

Stay in touch.
 :)