Author Topic: rain shut down  (Read 972 times)

tat2ken

rain shut down
« on: July 29, 2007, 09:40:07 am »
Hi Cammers,
I'm wracking my brain on this one. My daily ride is a 72 500k. It has normal quirks for a 35yo motorcycle but this one has me stumped.
It's Monsoon season here in Az and the rains come fast and furious. As I said my 500k being my daily ride and at this time my only mode of transportation I get wet ALOT.
Everytime I get into a heavy downpour, my bike quits! I'd like to say it "just shuts off" but sometimes it starts by losing power and other times it "just quits" , as if the key or kill switch was turned off.
I have sprayed the coils and wires with silicone and WD40 and there is a gasket under the points cover. The carbs have pods on them so I thought maybe it's sucking water into the carbs.
I just dont know what to look for to correct this problem.
Ken
SOHC4 #558

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
Re: rain shut down
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 09:51:44 am »
Could water be getting into the electrics on your handlebar?  Maybe it really IS your kill switch.  Maybe slip a plastic bag over the electrics and rubber band it water tight.  Start 'er up and spray it down with your garden hose.  If she stays running, then that is likely to problem.
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
    • Mike's Metric Vintage Honda
Re: rain shut down
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 10:41:10 am »
How is your points cover gasket looking?
SOHC4 Member#44153  
www.mikesmetric.com | www.mikedialect.com