Author Topic: Mo' chain problems...  (Read 1650 times)

Offline pddpimp

• Hot Shot
Mo' chain problems...
« on: July 27, 2007, 09:54:19 pm »
 :(  1977 Cb750K 630 chain 15 front 41 rear

Im on my 2nd chain and 2nd set of sprockets this year. I put a whole 3000 miles on the bike in that time. I have checked the alignment front, back, and sideways and it all looks good. I have the tension set at .750" up\down play and it gets lubed every 3-500 miles. Im having to adjust it every 2-300 miles and I don't know whats going on. Is it possible that the swing arm is bent?  Would that cause a tilt in the rear sprocket?  If that was the case, the chain would have a twist in it. I don't know... :(
When the majority of the United States population get to be 70 years old, they will finally realize what is really important. And by then it'll be too late.

-'77 CB750 Cafe/Muscle bike (early clone)
Soon to have a hopped up 836cc *sold*

-'75 CB750 with a little bit of character

Offline coyotecowboy

• Hot Shot
  • Easily Distracted
    • American Legion Riders Post 69 Medicine Lodge, Ks
Re: Mo' chain problems...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 10:19:41 pm »
I'm by no means an expert, but that 15 tooth sprocket could have something to do with it.  Thats a pretty sharp bend for a chain to make when they're that small
The adventure begins when things stop going as planned - Glen Heggstad

http://www.alrpost69.com/

Sunrise Orange 750 K2

1981 Husqvarna 430 XC, "Inga"

Offline jdpas29

• Hot Shot
  • my bike is 100% sandcast!!
    • My band = white bread
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 06:11:30 am »
give it more slack...  try a little over an inch and see how it goes
cars are gay.

Offline pddpimp

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 06:35:41 am »
Can do...I'll go for a little ride today and see what happens. I've been meaning to do a 530 conversion but I want to make sure what the "real" issue is before I drop anymore coin.
When the majority of the United States population get to be 70 years old, they will finally realize what is really important. And by then it'll be too late.

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 07:14:42 am »
15 isn't so small with a 630 chain.

Offline pddpimp

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 08:17:42 am »
With the bike on the centerstand, I'll spin the rear wheel and I seem to get quite a bit of chain noise from the front sprocket. When I last swapped out sprockets and the chain. The front sprocket had some hooking and the rear looked brand new. At that point I had only 2000 miles on them. The chains are standard, non oring, DID chains.

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 08:34:46 am »
15 isn't so small with a 630 chain.

15 is tiny with a 630, 630 is 3/4" between pins  :o.
 Its about how far chain has to 'turn' to get around sprocket, not the physical size.
 Reynolds chains used to recommend 19t minimum for max life, irrespective of chain pitch
PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 09:11:51 am »
many people adjust chains incorrectly... it really shouldn't have that tautness that many think it should.  it should be snug on the sprockets though. 

i agree w/ crazy's comment about the 15 tooth.
Today: '73 cb350f, '96 Ducati 900 Supersport
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

Offline scondon

• No way my run was THAT slow, must be an
  • Old Timer
  • Mmmm......tasty bugs
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 09:23:08 am »
   I've never used a non o-ring chain, but your results sound typical of what others who have used them have reported here. Frequent adjusting and short life span.

RK 0-ring chain($80-$90) gets me around 10k miles before I'm wanting to replace it. D.I.D. "gold" o-ring chain($140-$160) has been on for the last 12k miles and has been adjusted once, no tight points yet, sprockets are nearing replacement but chain is not. It's my opinion that if you ride often, an inexpensive chain does not save money or time.

I converted to the 530 chain the first time that I needed to replace chain and sprockets. I simply bought sprockets and chain spec'd for the '76-under 750's and installed them. The front sprocket was just slightly wider than the final drive output shaft so I put a washer on the mounting bolt to fill the space. I started with 18T front/ 48T rear and have since dropped to a 17T front('78 750F). There is substantially more options of chain type available for the 530 chain.
Give me..a frame to build a bike on, and my imagination will build upon that frame

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 02:54:39 pm »
  I've never used a non o-ring chain, but your results sound typical of what others who have used them have reported here. Frequent adjusting and short life span.

Not be contrary, but I'm not sure this is a valid universal observation of standard chain use. I've gotten many happy miles out of mine over the years. Lube them every 200-300 miles, and clean them occasionally and keep them adjusted properly (which I have not found to be necessary all that frequently) and you shouldn't have any problems. Having said that, some adverse factors might have to be considered. Lots of hard acceleration, dusty roads, lots of rain riding, etc., but under reasonable conditions, they are cost effective in my book.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline jaknight

• Hot Shot
  • ....Round Town Ride......
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 11:12:44 pm »
An Interesting Thread,

I believe that Bob has said the key verse to this portion of the scripture........

If you do the proper maintenance, when and how it should be done........ it makes a world of a difference.

I have just replaced my original Honda chain and front and rear sprockets.......... just about 20 miles short of 27,000 miles.

I remember a similar posting a while back, only then I was saying that I had about 20,000 miles on my factory chain and sprockets........ someone posted then that no original chain lasts beyond 15,000 miles.......... well......... 27,000 miles was its final life, but, it did get a lot of attention paid to it......... non O ring, of course........... ;) ;)

O ring or non O ring........ the care you give it makes it or breaks it........ 8) 8)

~ ~ ~ jaknight ~ ~ ~
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 11:15:47 pm by jaknight »
"THE PEN IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD........
..........EXCEPT IN A SWORD FIGHT"

Offline pddpimp

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 11:28:15 pm »
Thanks for the input guys. I'll try an lube it more often and see if that helps.
If it does, then Im in. If not, back to the drawing board.  ;)

Offline jdpas29

• Hot Shot
  • my bike is 100% sandcast!!
    • My band = white bread
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 05:40:57 am »
i've got 35,000 on the original chain and sprockets.  i use automatic transmission fluid as a lube every few hundred miles.   :D :D :D 
cars are gay.

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 09:28:04 am »
lube doesn't make any difference if the chain is not cleaned first... use a good cleaner before every lube.
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

Offline scondon

• Old Timer
  • Mmmm......tasty bugs
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 10:13:47 am »

Not be contrary, but I'm not sure this is a valid universal observation of standard chain use. I've gotten many happy miles out of mine over the years. Lube them every 200-300 miles, and clean them occasionally and keep them adjusted properly (which I have not found to be necessary all that frequently) and you shouldn't have any problems. Having said that, some adverse factors might have to be considered. Lots of hard acceleration, dusty roads, lots of rain riding, etc., but under reasonable conditions, they are cost effective in my book.

I thought I would take some heat for that one, Bob ;) :)  You think I would have learned by now to steer clear of words like "typical" when talking about results. Seems I only recalled the posts of people whose chains had worn in short order, rather than the responses of members who properly care for them  ;)

It's true, a chain that remains lubricated should last a good deal longer. I do ride daily, and under all the adverse conditions you mention (rain being the most harmful to chain life, IMHO). Try as I might I have been unable to adhere to the 200-300 mile rule(plus every day when it rains) which would have me squatting next to the bike 50-70 times yearly, depending on rainfall. This is why I'm a big fan of the o-ring chain.

The D.I.D. chain I mentioned is not "maintenance free", but it has lasted through two wet seasons, numerous hard miles, and my spotty maintenance schedule without showing signs of wear.
Give me..a frame to build a bike on, and my imagination will build upon that frame

bobsmith

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 10:19:25 am »
      ;D       Im with JAKnight..I just replaced my JC Whitney non O ting chain and sprockets and had a honest 30,000 on them. This in light of the fact that I live on a gravel road.  I lube every 2d tankfull, but dont do anything special to clean it. There was about .010 slop in each link, (Im a retired machinist) but rhe sprockets looked great...Whitney sells J T sprockets. My rideing is 98% highway and I dont pretend Im on a rice rocket. I honestly cant understand a person getting only 10,000 out of a quality chain and sprockets.      ???

Offline scondon

• Old Timer
  • Mmmm......tasty bugs
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2007, 10:33:13 am »
       I honestly cant understand a person getting only 10,000 out of a quality chain and sprockets.      ???

In my case it's the rainy season that does it. I found that by March, usually, the chain would develop a "tight" spot and I tend to replace the chain once these develop rather than subject the bike to the added vibration. Rainy season here is about 40 days of wet roads and 5-6 days of riding underwater.

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2007, 11:20:51 am »
I dont pretend Im on a rice rocket.
but, you are on one!  just a really heavy one.   :D