Author Topic: F Owners- What did we get ourselves into?  (Read 31359 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: F Owners- What did we get ourselves into?
« Reply #200 on: September 04, 2007, 09:35:44 pm »
Give it a try Wheely, the seller, Martyn, is a nice bloke, so you never know what kinda discount he'll offer. He's away for a week though, so if you've emailed him and don't get a reply right away, don't be concerned. Cheers, Terry. :D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline jtb

• An unlikely
  • Expert
« Reply #201 on: September 05, 2007, 06:21:11 am »
Terry,
Who uttered your quote?  I like it. 8) 8)
1977 CB750F
1985 V65 Sabre
1986 VFR 750 (gone but missed greatly)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #202 on: September 06, 2007, 08:47:40 pm »
Terry,
Who uttered your quote?  I like it. 8) 8)

G'Day John, well I just googled the quote and it's by someone called "Anonymous"? Then I remembered that "Anonymous" is my middle name? Or was that the name of my father? I'd love to meet him one day?

Ha ha, nah, no idea mate, I like it, but it's a little long winded, so if you send me a gallon of Jack Daniels, (a proper "imperial" gallon mind, not one of those "US gallon" gips) I'll let you put your name to it? Ha ha, Cheers, Terry. :D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Wheelhorse77

• She's got some Juice
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #203 on: November 30, 2007, 08:09:44 am »
REVIVAL   ;D

I still have my F as of right now and the funny part is that I did get my 82GS1100GL Suzi.

I just wanted to update everyone on the group buy for side covers that one of the manufactures didn't want to offer a group buy as they claimed the price they offered their parts for was the best price they could give.

I tried to assure them that I wasn't the type that was going to buy 20 pairs and sell them for a profit, rather each individual owner would place an order and when the quantity was met, they would release the side covers as agreed upon for the lower price.

77 750F2 ressurected from the dead
ASE Advanced Level Master Tech

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #204 on: November 30, 2007, 09:15:09 am »
Thanks for trying. If this was LPM they do have a good price considering the situation, but a cheaper price is always better.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
    • Mike's Metric Vintage Honda
« Reply #205 on: November 30, 2007, 09:16:52 am »
REVIVAL   ;D

I still have my F as of right now and the funny part is that I did get my 82GS1100GL Suzi.

I just wanted to update everyone on the group buy for side covers that one of the manufactures didn't want to offer a group buy as they claimed the price they offered their parts for was the best price they could give.

I tried to assure them that I wasn't the type that was going to buy 20 pairs and sell them for a profit, rather each individual owner would place an order and when the quantity was met, they would release the side covers as agreed upon for the lower price.

it was always worth a try! I still have to order one!

I'd also love to come and take your bike off your hands :)
SOHC4 Member#44153  
www.mikesmetric.com | www.mikedialect.com

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #206 on: November 30, 2007, 09:08:27 pm »
Another "F" part situation I've just come across: Honda has discontinued the swingarm pivot collar for the CB750F and K7-K8 models. I'm in the process of rebuilding ColinMC' K7 arm at the moment.

I just had some prototype versions of these built up this summer, thinking it would be easier than trying to get them (4 week lead times) from Honda. Now it appears that I may become a source, instead?

The older "K0-K6" version of the pivot collars may fit, but the grease zerks must feed from each end (not the middle) for those pivot collars. So, if you make the switch, get the bolt from a junkyard bike. At present, these are still offered, as they fit many other models besides the 750K.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #207 on: December 01, 2007, 03:53:58 am »
I just bought a repro K0 airbox from LPM, and if anyone's still wondering, their quality is first class, and the airmail to Oz ($25.00 US) was a bargain! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Wheelhorse77

• She's got some Juice
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #208 on: December 01, 2007, 10:18:30 am »
ok

The only real response I received was from Peter at David Silver Spares. This was all the way back in September of this year and he was the one that could not offer a cheaper price.

I had a brief email discussion with Martyn Hayes at L.P.M. and the last we spoke he was going to talk to his partner to see if they could establish anything.

This is what I wrote to them:

L.P.M and DSS

I am in the process of organizing a group buy in the SOHC4.net forums and was wondering if you would be willing to give any discoutn for having a mass order from indivuduals? The way I have orgnaized group buys on the other sites worked like this; ten people would place their individual orders by a certain date trhough the vendor and if all orders were met by the date, the vendor would release the products at the lowered price. If the number was not met there were two options, A. to allow the consumer to back out of the order or B, offer the current orders a slighlty less discount based on the number of people that are still commited to the parts.

Most consumers on the board are USA based, but we do have a global market so expect shipping to be world wide.

Perhaps free shipping would be a good catch depending on the number ordered from a continent?

Please let me know if you are interested, the number of dedicated individuals you feel are needed to offer your limited-time offer and what your overall terms would be.

Thank you,

my name

On a separate note:

Mike I wish you could take the bike off of my hands... I really don't want to see it go to someone who's going to blow it up(young kid) especially after I poured my heart and soul into that old girl. Especially with the header on the bike that no one can seem to figure out who makes it definitely adds a unique character and for me it was my first scoot.

Unfortunately, I have the GS now (which needs plenty of updating) and a huffer equipped mustang in the garage as well.

It erks me because I value my integrity above all else and inform anyone who looks at the bike that she will puff oil if you park the bike on the side stand. Once a guy at work tipped me off to parking it on the center stand, all be darn, not a drop burns out of the exhaust. I rode the end of the summer without a puff coming out of the exhaust and even after a four hour cruise the bike never sneezed. People ask me what I would do to it I said well I'd ride it and enjoy it..

Things I would do if I could keep it...Side cover, Honda man electrical upgrade, new brake lines just for PM (just front)..back is new.  To me the old SOHC is like a good friend, may not be perfect but you can count on her when you need to; she won't let you down.

If I didn't have my mustang, I'd definitely keep the Honda. I'm sure one day I will really regret selling it, but being two years young into a marriage and having a house payment and everyone else sticking their hand into my pocket...I suppose it's about sacrifice.

On the other hand, with the people I have had come over except P_S who went the GS route as well, I guess people expect a 30 year old bike to be absolutely perfect and for the grand amount of 500 dollars. Everyone wants something for nothing and I explain to people that if you buy the cheaper bike, what do you have to invest in it so you won't become mad by constantly throwing money into it especially if someone isn't mechanically inclined.

I mean really, who polishes individual screws on a bike that they don't care for? I've had people ask why would I put so much time and money into it to sell it? Why throw a bunch of expensive OEM honda parts and replace a bunch of other parts with quality brand name parts only to sell it. My response is that my original intentions were to keep it for ever; never thought I would find my blue on blue GS1100GL shafty with low miles, well taken care of for the right price in an area I could actually test drive the bike not too far from home... A lot was against that dream.

Of course as I sit here and type this I see what looks like a small blizzard outside so I have left the bike off of craigslist for now. I figured that come this spring I will put the bike back on their and hopefully she'll go to a good home and in the process square my family debt with the GS.

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
« Reply #209 on: December 01, 2007, 10:35:25 am »
ok

The only real response I received was from Peter at David Silver Spares. This was all the way back in September of this year and he was the one that could not offer a cheaper price.

I had a brief email discussion with Martyn Hayes at L.P.M. and the last we spoke he was going to talk to his partner to see if they could establish anything.

This is what I wrote to them:

L.P.M and DSS

I am in the process of organizing a group buy in the SOHC4.net forums and was wondering if you would be willing to give any discoutn for having a mass order from indivuduals? The way I have orgnaized group buys on the other sites worked like this; ten people would place their individual orders by a certain date trhough the vendor and if all orders were met by the date, the vendor would release the products at the lowered price. If the number was not met there were two options, A. to allow the consumer to back out of the order or B, offer the current orders a slighlty less discount based on the number of people that are still commited to the parts.

Most consumers on the board are USA based, but we do have a global market so expect shipping to be world wide.

Perhaps free shipping would be a good catch depending on the number ordered from a continent?

Please let me know if you are interested, the number of dedicated individuals you feel are needed to offer your limited-time offer and what your overall terms would be.

Thank you,

my name

On a separate note:

Mike I wish you could take the bike off of my hands... I really don't want to see it go to someone who's going to blow it up(young kid) especially after I poured my heart and soul into that old girl. Especially with the header on the bike that no one can seem to figure out who makes it definitely adds a unique character and for me it was my first scoot.

Unfortunately, I have the GS now (which needs plenty of updating) and a huffer equipped mustang in the garage as well.

It erks me because I value my integrity above all else and inform anyone who looks at the bike that she will puff oil if you park the bike on the side stand. Once a guy at work tipped me off to parking it on the center stand, all be darn, not a drop burns out of the exhaust. I rode the end of the summer without a puff coming out of the exhaust and even after a four hour cruise the bike never sneezed. People ask me what I would do to it I said well I'd ride it and enjoy it..

Things I would do if I could keep it...Side cover, Honda man electrical upgrade, new brake lines just for PM (just front)..back is new.  To me the old SOHC is like a good friend, may not be perfect but you can count on her when you need to; she won't let you down.

If I didn't have my mustang, I'd definitely keep the Honda. I'm sure one day I will really regret selling it, but being two years young into a marriage and having a house payment and everyone else sticking their hand into my pocket...I suppose it's about sacrifice.

On the other hand, with the people I have had come over except P_S who went the GS route as well, I guess people expect a 30 year old bike to be absolutely perfect and for the grand amount of 500 dollars. Everyone wants something for nothing and I explain to people that if you buy the cheaper bike, what do you have to invest in it so you won't become mad by constantly throwing money into it especially if someone isn't mechanically inclined.

I mean really, who polishes individual screws on a bike that they don't care for? I've had people ask why would I put so much time and money into it to sell it? Why throw a bunch of expensive OEM honda parts and replace a bunch of other parts with quality brand name parts only to sell it. My response is that my original intentions were to keep it for ever; never thought I would find my blue on blue GS1100GL shafty with low miles, well taken care of for the right price in an area I could actually test drive the bike not too far from home... A lot was against that dream.

Of course as I sit here and type this I see what looks like a small blizzard outside so I have left the bike off of craigslist for now. I figured that come this spring I will put the bike back on their and hopefully she'll go to a good home and in the process square my family debt with the GS.

thats the breaks, you know? I almost always regret selling a bike, but it helps finance fixing something else otherwise I wouldn't sell it. I almost always look at it as an educational expense. Each time I fix something (which I'm getting a little better at- still a n00b!) I learn something new. So, eventually when i can no longer buy these old bikes I will know a ton about them. haha! I enjoy it and I've met a lot of really cool people and it's just plain ol' good for anyone to be passionate about something. Bikes, cows, knitting, baseball... whatever. It's something I can talk to grandkids about someday. Something I can maybe pass on to a son, you know? Hell, I'd have a 3000 sq ft pole barn FULL of these if I had the money, but alas, that is not the case. It's just too bad you're a little too far away. I will never, ever, ever, sell my f because it will probably never be 'fixed' and same would go for yours, but those are the breaks, you know?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 07:47:20 pm by mikedialect »
SOHC4 Member#44153  

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #210 on: December 01, 2007, 03:45:19 pm »
ok

What bike are you selling Wheely?  ;D

Offline Wheelhorse77

• She's got some Juice
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #211 on: December 02, 2007, 02:06:15 pm »
Selling the 77 SOHC.

Offline Wheelhorse77

• She's got some Juice
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #212 on: December 02, 2007, 02:08:04 pm »

thats the breaks, you know? I almost always regret selling a bike, but it helps finance fixing something else otherwise I wouldn't sell it. I almost always look at it as an educational expense. Each time I fix something (which I'm getting a little better at- still a n00b!) I learn something new. So, eventually when i can no longer buy these old bikes I will know a ton about them. haha! I enjoy it and I've met a lot of really cool people and it's just plain ol' good for anyone to be passionate about something. Bikes, cows, knitting, baseball... whatever. It's something I can talk to grandkids about someday. Something I can maybe pass on to a son, you know? Hell, I'd have a 3000 sq ft pole barn FULL of these if I had the money, but alas, that is not the case. It's just too bad you're a little too far away. I will never, ever, ever, sell my f because it will probably never be 'fixed' and same would go for yours, but those are the breaks, you know?

I'd hear ya on having lots of toys but I guess saying that we were able to be there and do that is worth a pretty penny all on its own.

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
« Reply #213 on: December 02, 2007, 03:43:08 pm »

I'd hear ya on having lots of toys but I guess saying that we were able to be there and do that is worth a pretty penny all on its own.

yup- I'm learning more and more that it isn't about what you have, but what you've done and who that makes you. A fine penny indeed :)
SOHC4 Member#44153  

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #214 on: December 02, 2007, 04:09:36 pm »

yup- I'm learning more and more that it isn't about what you have, but what you've done and who that makes you. A fine penny indeed :)

Roger that! When I need engineers and designers for my projects, it's seldom the guys riding the new crotch rockets or SAABs to work that I want: I look for the ones with hand-repaired cars, 60s and 70s bikes. And, we kick a** on every project, every time. We not only get better mechanisms that last, but we beat budget and timeframe. I've been on 4 projects that had "the other guys", and it took many $$$ and lots of extra time to fix up what they did wrong. And, it wasn't so much lack of experience, but attitude, that made the difference. Experience teachs that attitude.

Experience rocks.

Now, I'll go burn my soapbox to keep warm.....
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #215 on: December 02, 2007, 06:50:41 pm »
Selling the 77 SOHC.

Ooh, nice! 500 bucks? Hmmnnn........................  :o ;D

fuzzybutt

« Reply #216 on: December 02, 2007, 10:00:19 pm »
how rare IS the 75' f? i have most of one here and i need to know whether i should cannibalize it for the cafe build over the winter or restore and sell it.

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #217 on: December 02, 2007, 10:22:15 pm »
The 75 750F was made for maybe 4 or 5 months before they switched to the 76. My 1st edition Honda parts catalogue dated 1975 lists the '75 engine number starting with 2500001 and the '76 beginning with 2515094. Mine is 2501954. I think that it is the lowest product model year of any of the 750s perhaps with the exception of the 750A.

Now, we all know the sandcast was the lowest production "famous" 750 with 7400+ produced but I couldn't tell you how many 69 750K0's were produced. The sandcasts are going for up to $29,995 fully restored by Vic World. As far as collectability and value I do not think it will ever even approach the fabled sandcast. No way, never close. Probably not even a low mileage '70 or '71K. BUT as far as this original owner is concerned it IS just as valuable as a sandcast. I may have another $10K in mine by the time I'm done with it in the next year or so. It will never be sold while I'm alive so it's irrelevant to me. The next owner will have to be very worthy because he will get it in my will.

How about a picture?   
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

johnrtse

« Reply #218 on: December 02, 2007, 10:24:34 pm »
Hi fuzzy.  I have a 1975 F CB750 also. The '75 model year "F" bikes are one of the rarest of the CB750 SOHC bikes,  by far. 

Your choice about restoring or customizing,  but my personal opinion is that the 1975-1976 "F" bikes are undervalued and the retail market will soon catch up to what they really should be valued at.  IIn my opinion, it will be more valuable restored to factory stock in the future, vs. modified.

I vote for restoring it.  More expensive than a cafe build, but it should be more valuable in the long run.

Just my opinion,
John 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 10:36:01 pm by johnrtse »

fuzzybutt

« Reply #219 on: December 02, 2007, 10:54:10 pm »
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 10:55:52 pm by fuzzybutt »

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #220 on: December 02, 2007, 11:01:59 pm »
The 75 750F was made for maybe 4 or 5 months before they switched to the 76. My 1st edition Honda parts catalogue dated 1975 lists the '75 engine number starting with 2500001 and the '76 beginning with 2515094. Mine is 2501954. I think that it is the lowest product model year of any of the 750s...  

The nice thing about the '75 F is that it apparently has no significant mechanical issues.

Rxman, out of curiousity, what is the build date on the data tag and frame number on yours?  Mine has the engine number 2507814 and frame number 1007834 and was built 2/75.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #221 on: December 02, 2007, 11:07:06 pm »
Very good deal  ;)

Looks fairly complete. Looks like you need a seat (David Silver Spares repro), side covers (LPM repros) and emblems (Honda), bars (unavailable), tank emblems (unavailable) PLUS a lot of sweat, beer, and money! If you need to locate any parts I can help. I've been collecting boxes full for a year & 1/2 probably. I do this every night followed by EBay. A new unavailable front fender just went on EBay today. Wasn't even listed for a 750F (550F I believe). The -392 in the middle helps plus I cross reference suspect items on ServiceHonda.com.

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #222 on: December 02, 2007, 11:12:30 pm »
Ofreen,

Frame number 1001601 built 1/75

Only mechanical issue I am aware of was a recall due to rear brake pads and that don't count!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #223 on: December 02, 2007, 11:27:52 pm »
I bought a 1975 F new in 1978. All whimsical "rare" talk aside, they didn't sell here because by that time pretty much everybody had turned their backs on CB750's and were riding Kawasaki Z1's. It was a good bike, but the styling was too "conservative", and it soon became a "red headed stepchild", destined to be sold off at a big discount, like mine was.

I wouldn't buy one with the intention of keeping it as an investment, but (apart frome the deadly rear brake that spat me down the road and the exhaust pipe that dragged around corners at commuting speeds) they certainly are a good riders bike, for sure. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Wheelhorse77

• She's got some Juice
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #224 on: December 03, 2007, 08:17:00 am »

Roger that! When I need engineers and designers for my projects, it's seldom the guys riding the new crotch rockets or SAABs to work that I want: I look for the ones with hand-repaired cars, 60s and 70s bikes. And, we kick a** on every project, every time. We not only get better mechanisms that last, but we beat budget and timeframe. I've been on 4 projects that had "the other guys", and it took many $$$ and lots of extra time to fix up what they did wrong. And, it wasn't so much lack of experience, but attitude, that made the difference. Experience teachs that attitude.

Experience rocks.

Now, I'll go burn my soapbox to keep warm.....

Sounds like your speaking of a passion.

I currently have one of those situations... Worked as a tech for 10 years documented picked up an associates in automotive technology, built many different early bob tail bronco's, welding, hydraulics, electrical --you name it, some from the frame up.  I thought the best time I had in college was my automotive education so I figured why not become an instructor. I was told that if I wanted to teach at a college level I needed my four year degree.

So I went and got a Bachelors of Science in Technical Management only to find out that I needed an extra step; ASE master certification plus L1(advanced diagnosis). I love cars, I love being technical and I love to learn and certainly don't pretend to know it all and I have an absolute passion to talk about diagnosing and finding the cause and why it failed, but besides that point it always seems like someone else beats me out based on more paper or right place, right time.

I've had instructors tell me that other instructors pulled them in and to them it's just a job. I showed up for two summer sessions just to sit in on two classes for free to help out with labs and tests for an instructor who will be retiring. Of course I am sure they have their eyes on a current night instructor who has been rebuilding transmissions for many years and if I am beat out by that guy, it's a fair deal.

What upsets me is when a kid comes out of college with no wrenching experience but has an actual teaching degree and they hire him. The kid isn't even master certified. I found out through the automotive grapevine that the kid was going to take some college courses in automotive... I was like WHAT? It made me salty to say the least. Where's the experience?

I've been trying to get myself in front of the right people so that they will remember me because other than that I am going off of shear luck and hopefully the big man upstairs will cut me a break.

Shoot I threw a used steering column and a new back side glass in my pastor's car for free. I told him I like to tinker and what was two hours of my time. I also discovered that both upper ball joints were about to fail and he needed to get it into a shop right away. If I had the automotive shop I would have been able to throw new parts on the car and align it as well, or at least use it as a demonstration/learning device to inform students on what to look for.

Tinkering/playing helps to keep me sharp.