Author Topic: F Owners- What did we get ourselves into?  (Read 31396 times)

johnrtse

Re: F Owners- What did we get ourselves into?
« Reply #225 on: December 03, 2007, 06:25:18 pm »
I just got a pair of LPM sidecovers for my '75 F in the mail and all I can say is that they are FANTASTIC!  Very nice quality and fit perfectly!

John

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #226 on: December 03, 2007, 06:33:40 pm »
About time we got a firsthand report.

Thanks John
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

johnrtse

« Reply #227 on: December 03, 2007, 06:50:58 pm »
Just to add:  They don't come drilled for the sidecover emblems,  but there are locating marks on the backside so that those reinstalling their emblems can drill them.

John

Offline Dennis

• Hot Shot
« Reply #228 on: December 03, 2007, 07:07:09 pm »
I just got a pair of LPM sidecovers for my '75 F in the mail and all I can say is that they are FANTASTIC!  Very nice quality and fit perfectly!

John

I'm sure I've seen this before, but where do you get then from?
(Yes, I also have a '75 750F)

Thanks

johnrtse

« Reply #229 on: December 03, 2007, 07:26:40 pm »
Dennis- I got mine thru eBay "Buy It Now",  but they are available directly from LPM's website for the same price. 

Not cheap by any means, but well worth the $$$ in my opinion.  They seem to be much more flexible than the OEM covers and should resist cracking much better.

John

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #230 on: December 03, 2007, 07:41:46 pm »
Just to add:  They don't come drilled for the sidecover emblems,  but there are locating marks on the backside so that those reinstalling their emblems can drill them.

John

Side cover emblems are still available through Honda.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Dennis

• Hot Shot
« Reply #231 on: December 03, 2007, 07:57:02 pm »
Dennis- I got mine thru eBay "Buy It Now",  but they are available directly from LPM's website for the same price. 

Not cheap by any means, but well worth the $$$ in my opinion.  They seem to be much more flexible than the OEM covers and should resist cracking much better.

John

Since you mentioned it, I cracked my original right side cover. Probably by putting a full face helmet in the helmet holder. That's why I was asking.
I got a set of those other screw-on type and I don't really like them.

BTW: what is the adress of the LPM website?

Thanks

johnrtse

« Reply #232 on: December 03, 2007, 08:02:56 pm »
Here is the website Dennis- Hope this helps!

John

http://lpmreplicaparts.com/honda/CB750F1/sidep.html

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
    • Mike's Metric Vintage Honda
« Reply #233 on: December 03, 2007, 08:15:43 pm »
pete- pdpimp used the k series ones with good results too.
SOHC4 Member#44153  
www.mikesmetric.com | www.mikedialect.com

Offline Wheelhorse77

• She's got some Juice
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #234 on: January 03, 2008, 06:58:48 am »
Well, boys, I've sold off the 77F to my best bud and have turned him loose on this site.

He hasn't even picked the bike up yet and has already ordered a new Mac exhaust for it. I can tell that he is enthusiastic about bringing the bike to the next level so it seems she has found a good home. I'm sad to see it go as I have put a lot of time and money into it, but at least I will still be able to see the bike in action and properly cared for by a fellow wrench.

He is planning to pull the engine out of the frame as to check the valves and install some new OEM valve stem seals so she should be going strong this coming riding season.

I haven't told him about the Hondaman ignition upgrade but I will do that today.

Everyone take care and hope to see some of you local Chi-town boys on the road.

Jason

PS, I'll be over at the TheGSResources under the handle of 82Shafty.
77 750F2 ressurected from the dead
ASE Advanced Level Master Tech

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #235 on: January 03, 2008, 09:19:10 am »
Booo   Hissss   Mutter  Grumble

Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #236 on: January 03, 2008, 10:51:08 am »

He is planning to pull the engine out of the frame as to check the valves and install some new OEM valve stem seals so she should be going strong this coming riding season.

Is there a REASON hes going to pull the engine? Its a lot of work just to check something...if its not broken why do it? Unless of course its leaking.....

Good luck at the other forum!

Cheers
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline Wheelhorse77

• She's got some Juice
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #237 on: January 03, 2008, 12:25:19 pm »
If you park the bike on the side stand she burns oil at start up. If you park it on the center stand it doesn't burn a drop. We assume valve stem seals are probably dried out at this point.
77 750F2 ressurected from the dead
ASE Advanced Level Master Tech

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #238 on: January 03, 2008, 12:29:05 pm »
If you park the bike on the side stand she burns oil at start up. If you park it on the center stand it doesn't burn a drop. We assume valve stem seals are probably dried out at this point.

If it only happens at startup then she sounds normal to me.....loose tolerances and cold aircooled engines.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #239 on: January 03, 2008, 12:34:16 pm »
Personally i wouldnt pull an engine just for that. I always park on the center stand but if thats all it takes to prevent you from burning oil Id do it! Lot easier than pulling an engine and spending lots of $$s doing so. Anyway just my opinion as Id rather ride it first and then in a year if burning a lot of oil, pull it then. I lived with an F2 for 4 years - frshly rebuilt motor (guy I bought it off had rebuilt it) - burned a 1/4 oil every 500-1000 miles. I never pulled that engine  ;D Ran it around Britain and Europe  ;)

Good luck whatever you decide.

cheers
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #240 on: January 03, 2008, 08:24:37 pm »
"F" owners (and K6-K8, too):

I just posted a new story about how to rebuild your swingarm pivots/bushings, etc. Honda discontinued the pivot "collar" for this series of bikes this year, but with some mods, you can convert it to the more popular (and well-supported) "K" style.

..in case you're doing a winter resto...
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline cafe750

• Hot Shot
  • If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical
« Reply #241 on: January 03, 2008, 09:24:53 pm »
I've got '75 F #1000593, but unfortunately, the engine isnt the original....and I think that I'm going to order up a pair of those LPM side covers...I found that with my shorter legs, the right side cover doesnt agree with my use of the kickstarter... :'(
"It's an old motorcycle, the wind is supposed to blow your head around, it's supposed to leak oil, the brakes should suck, and every now and then, it should scare you so bad you piss your pants."

Roy, Washington

Offline slabbedask

• You're never too old to have a happy childhood!
« Reply #242 on: January 08, 2008, 12:48:40 pm »
Hi, guys! :)
Been lurking around for a little while, and I really like what I see! So this is my first post....

Got a 76 F1 last June, my first Honda. (Had a 78 Yammie XS500 many years ago.... ::)) I've always liked the looks of the cb750, and always wanted one. That I ended up with an F1 was just a coincidence, but after reading several posts in here, and period tests, I think I'm glad I did. Besides, in my head, real bikes should have wire wheels. And lots of chrome.... ;D
When I got it it looked like crap. Bought it from a gut living on a small island on the west coast here in Norway, on the Atlantic shore. It looked more like he'd stored it IN the Atlantic.....
Plenty of surface rust, particullary the shiny parts. Managed to polish most of it to an OK state, but need to get a new rear rim, as that's seriously pitted. Needs new spokes too, front and rear. It didn't run. (Quite quick fix though...) Lots of nonstock-spec parts on it, most notably the front fender (K-unit?), handle bar and the seat, but things like the ignition lock is moved to K-position under the tank, and indicator lamps swapped for K-units on handle bar clamps differs from stock to. Non-stock exhaust too, but I think it makes a nice growl... ;D
Paid equiv. of USD2200 for it, which probably seems a lot for you guys abroad, but here in Norway, bikes are EXPENSIVE!!! (I really need a larger capital E too....) A fair running example would wave set me back twice as much!
(In fact everything is bleedin' expensive here, gas is close to USD2.40. That's per quart.....! :o)
Managed to put about 3000Km's on the odo this summer. Watched the odo pass 100000Km's too, so this is an experienced bike...
I think it runs quite well. Had a bit of problems with the Boyer Brandsen ignition that's been fitted to it by someone. (It didn't quite like the big,yellow and hot Accel coils under the tank..) A couple of resistors on the coils fixed that though.
It's in winter storage now, and plans before next summer include giving the carbs an overhaul, getting a better rear wheel, replacing the 12+ year old tires on it, (really spooky when it rained.... :D) and maybe a splash of new paint. I play around with an airbrush from time to time, so it will NOT look original... ;D Got a stock airbox for it too, and I'm waiting for new intake tubes for that to arrive one of these days. Got a new set via eBay.
Overall plan is to fix it up a bit at the time, so I'll see to things as they turn up...
Here's a pic of how it looks like now, not very unlike when I got it.

Speaking of carbs, anyone know where I can find a list of what carbs is supposed to be fitted to what years? And how I can identift them? Want to order repair kits for them, but I see 67 is a one-year only, and want to make sure that's what's really there....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 12:57:32 pm by slabbedask »

fuzzybutt

« Reply #243 on: January 08, 2008, 01:52:06 pm »
THAT is one sweet looking f, wish my 75 f looked half that nice, or the 74k for that ,atter lol. anyways............welcome to the board!

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #244 on: January 08, 2008, 02:47:43 pm »
Slabbedask,

Nice find and a lot of hard work so far from what I can tell. Looking good! I'm an original owner of a 75 750F. Seat looks original but recovered. Front fender is probably original. The boys from Great Britain that own these have the fender with 2 braces unlike the US version with the rear brace only. Your turn signals look original for that side of the Atlantic too but are unlike the ones here in the US. Your bars, well........ Enough said. The headlight mount is definitely not F. The F mount could be hard to find. Saw one on EBay recently and was surprised. The light dashboard was used on 77/78K and the A's too. Much easier to find than the headlight mount. The igition switch could be difficult to locate unless you buy one from Honda. Still available but $200+. The fork gaiters are easily replaced with F dust caps. Good deal on the coils and ignition. That would cost you $400 probably. One of the best upgrades. If it's jetted and running good with the pods leave them on! Rejetting carbs isn't fun but at least you'd know what to use. Stock jetting: Slow/idle jets size 40 and mains 105 with needles in the middle position. As far as carbs go what is the carb model number? Located on the intake flange I believe. These bad boys were produced in 75 & 76. 75 was a late/early introduction made for approx 3 months. Everything identical except color. Few updated parts like the rear master cylinder had a replaceable resevoir, etc.

Let us know how we can help.

Jerry
Colorado, US 

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #245 on: January 08, 2008, 03:11:45 pm »
Hey Slabbedask,
Wow nice looking bike and you would never guess it had that many miles!  :o Obviously you know what you are doing! Nice find! More photos please!

And as Jerry mentioned let us know how we can help.
Cheers
Andy

Current bikes

Offline mick750F

• Expert
« Reply #246 on: January 08, 2008, 04:34:12 pm »
Hey Slabbedask...Welcome to our world. ;D You've managed to get your F looking pretty good considering your description of it's condition when you bought it. Do you have any idea what exhaust system is on your bike? I'd guess the muffler is from a more recent bike but the header tucks up nicely leaving plenty of ground clearance. Here's a link to CB750 carb info. http://hondachopper.com/carb.specs.html I'm not sure where the numbers are on your model but they shouldn't be too hard to find. $2.40 per quart for gas?!?! Ouch!!! Sometimes I don't like seeing the future... ;)

Mike
'
Glosta, MA
It's not the heat...it's the humanity.

Offline slabbedask

« Reply #247 on: January 09, 2008, 01:57:14 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!
Mike I'm sorry but I have no idea about the exhaust system, as it's what came with the bike. I kinda like the look and sound of it, so it probably stays. I don't think I'll be trying to restore it back to stock configuration, at least not yet. I always try to personalize my vehicles , make'em suit my own taste and reflect my own personality, but who knows what the future brings. As several here have pointed out, these bikes are relatively rare. So whatever I might do, I won't do anything that can't be reversed. I'll probably keep an eye out for stock parts for it and try to gather parts for a future stock restauration if I should decide this.
Jerry, thanks for the heads up on the non-stock parts. As I said, I probably won't do much about this right now, but it's good to know ehat tokeep an eye out for.  I kinda like the cromed headlight mounts , so they're staying for now. The carb pods have to go! It seems like it's still jetted for the stock airbox, so it may be running a bit lean. It has a very pronounced dead-spot when twisting the throttle (I've heard they all have this due to lack of acc.pump, but I don't belive it's as bad as this one..) It also think it feels a bit dead at top end. I've managed to get about 90-95 mph on it, but then it just wouldn't go any higher. Have no idea what rpm it was at, 'cause the rev counter doesn't work properly.
Checked the stampings on the carbs today, it said O64A and according to the list linked to above (Thanks Mike) it should be O69A. Is this discrepancy due to differences between US and Euro market, or have someone replaced the originals..?

I most certainly will be asking for help on a lot when working on this baby. This is only my second bike, so I'm not very experienced with this stuff. Have done a lot of work on cars though, mainly aircooled VW's and 114 and 123 Mercedes'. I'm currently modifying a '53 oval-window Bug that eventually will look something like a WWII German fighter plane... ;D

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #248 on: January 09, 2008, 03:03:08 pm »
The Hondachopper site admin stole the carb specs from Mike Nixon's site  http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/specs.html  without credit or a thank you from what I hear.  The original chart includes mistakes like the carb code you are interested in.  069A is most certainly a code for the Honda cb550F carbs. (I have several sets, so stamped)

While I can't prove it, I expect there is a strong likelyhood that the 750F carb code should be 064A in that chart.  Plagerism like the above probably contributes to just why I've been unable get Mike to correct the chart's errors.

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline slabbedask

« Reply #249 on: January 09, 2008, 11:20:18 pm »
Thanks TwoTired. I assume that could be a reason for the flatspot and poor top end performance then.
Guess I'll have to keep an eye open for o69A's on eBay and similar places them. But at least they keep the bike running for now, so I guess I'm not in a hurry. Well actually it wouldn't start when I went to our hobby workshop yesterday, I think the battery's shot. The bike won't charge properly, and even if I charged it with an external charger, no much life. I've already got another set of stator coils via eBay, and probably need to change the rectifer and regulator too. Will see to it when I get the time. Right now school work is taking most of my time, going back to school after 20 years (I'm 40...) is hard.....