Author Topic: Are all fork seals created equal?  (Read 1363 times)

1981cb650c

Are all fork seals created equal?
« on: August 11, 2007, 10:25:12 pm »
As the title asks, are all fork seals created equal? I'm talking the $7 ones we have all seen on ebay, but are they worth the low price? Some are listed to fit almost every old Honda under the rising sun but is this true? Honda fiche lists different seals for those same bikes. Can NOS seals be trusted? I recently saw a bulk bag of Honda fork seals on ebay. Assuming they are what they said, could they still be good?

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
Re: Are all fork seals created equal?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 11:28:10 pm »
I've had the best luck with the OEM seals.  "Leak Proof" seals and their ilk are not, in my experience.  I won't bother with them anymore.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline joeb

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 07:42:10 am »
I've used both and OEM is the way I go now .  Had a few after market fork seals go away prematurely.  >:( 

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 07:56:18 am »
 OEM with some SF3 grease.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 08:52:30 am »
I had to replace my seals after using "No leak" and they left rings on my forks from day one. They finally let go after three years. Go OEM and buy them from a dealer like I did. They were soft and they seat great. I polished my tubes while they off. Anything  you can feel will cause a leak.  If your dealer is unfriendly check out House of Honda in NY. He got me new seals and dustcaps.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 10:53:41 am »
In all honesty i can say that, when in the trade, i fitted many aftermarket seals with no problems at all.

The normal reason for a quick re-leak is pitting on the steel tubes whilst I have seen oil leaking around the outside of a new seal via a deep "gouge" in the alloy slider caused by using a big screwdriver to pry out the old seals.

Now there are many different suppliers of seals and like everything else the quality will vary, whilst Honda's QC regime is supossed to be second to none (even then i have had bad genuine parts!).
Honda do use different numbers for different bikes but several have the same diameters and so will fit.

Basically if your time is cheap fit aftermarket and save some money, if you value your time fit OEM parts BUT either way make sure the tubes are good.
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!