Author Topic: Drain Plug- seriously stuck & stripped- cb350 (now stuck!)  (Read 9801 times)

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
    • Mike's Metric Vintage Honda
Re: Drain Plug- seriously stuck & stripped- cb350 (now stuck!)
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2007, 06:57:18 pm »
What about tipping the bike over on the opposite side in which it got stuck and trying to free it up. You might even have to give it a few gentle wacks with the hammer to try and get the gears to vibrate out of position again. I'm guessing like most that something inside shifted when it shouldn't have.
 Matt.

You know I was hoping that was so simple it was genius! Unfortunately, it didn't happen. I guess it looks like I'm out of luck! No idea what happened here. I just wish I knew the slightest bit about tearing apart an engine and diagnosing problems inside.
SOHC4 Member#44153  
www.mikesmetric.com | www.mikedialect.com

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2007, 01:15:58 am »
What about oil going into the chamber? Try removing the plugs.

If the clutch works, I would remove the alternator cover and turn the crankshaft -with a wrench- while actuating the clutch. That way you will be able to tell whether the lock is in the engine or in the tranny.

antiq

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2007, 06:50:54 am »
If you're really considering to toss it under the workbench.  Why not get out the manual and put it on the bench and tear it down? It can't be used as is. Learning has to start somewhere. If you have a digital camera you can take pictures as you go to refer to on reassembly. That's what I'd do while I was looking for a replacement. I'm not happy that it's caused so much trouble but it is great it locked up when it did and not in a turn at speed. Been there done that. It sucks!

Offline HITMAN

• Enthusiast
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2007, 12:27:12 pm »
Not to farmiliar with the tranny in a 350, but is it possible it could be in two gears at the same time after being hammered on while it was on it's side (broken or loose shifting fork)?
1974 Honda CB550F
1984 Honda GL1200A
2003 Honda CBR1100XX

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2007, 01:00:27 pm »
If you're really considering to toss it under the workbench.  Why not get out the manual and put it on the bench and tear it down? It can't be used as is. Learning has to start somewhere. If you have a digital camera you can take pictures as you go to refer to on reassembly. That's what I'd do while I was looking for a replacement. I'm not happy that it's caused so much trouble but it is great it locked up when it did and not in a turn at speed. Been there done that. It sucks!

Not a bad idea. It's sort of what I've been considering. It's just the mental heave-ho that I need to do. I need to just GO for it. I'd like to be able to do these things I just have to convince myself that it's possible- even if it is at the cost of bothering a lot of good folks and robbing them of their time :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 04:00:53 pm by mikedialect »
SOHC4 Member#44153  

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2007, 01:02:29 pm »
I you do it, report back on what you find. I for one, am curious. I'm sure some others would like to know what the problem was as well. Good luck.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2007, 04:03:00 pm »
I you do it, report back on what you find. I for one, am curious. I'm sure some others would like to know what the problem was as well. Good luck.

I definitely will Bob! The one thing about this site that gets on my nerves (and there are fewer here than any other forum I've been a part of!) is that when I search topics a lot of the time the resolution isn't amended to the thread! I'll probably be giving the engine a tear down this winter (or sooner!). Until then I'll be searching for a new one :)
SOHC4 Member#44153  

antiq

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2007, 05:48:25 pm »

Not a bad idea. It's sort of what I've been considering. It's just the mental heave-ho that I need to do. I need to just GO for it. I'd like to be able to do these things I just have to convince myself that it's possible- even if it is at the cost of bothering a lot of good folks and robbing them of their time :)
I'm no expert but I've worked on everything from lawnmowers to helicopters and I'll be happy to share any ideas I may have. I too am still learning about the bikes I have.

Offline droopy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2007, 06:43:05 pm »
got to get your feet wet sometime. and a large amount of info is here on this site. if you can't find what you need just ask someone will know the answer or find it for you ;D
2007 lifan 200cc sport ohc thumper

Offline mattcb350f

• Hardly a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB350F
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2007, 07:01:25 pm »
Well it looks like this mystery will have to be solved on the workbench  :(

I once had a problem with a tranny it it took months of procrastinating before I went near it.  :D It was a TRX250 Fourwheeler that would jump out of fourth gear all the time. I thought I would need some serious training to open that can of worms, I figured trannys were just too far above my head. Anyway, I took the engine out, put it on the bench and started taking it apart, I needed firewood and I wasn't going to carry it  :D Took lots of pictures, had the Honda manual there beside me and just took my time. Once the case was spilt apart and all laid out neatly on the bench I found the bad egg, A bent shifter fork. Bought the new shifter fork and complete gasket set and carefully put it all back togeather. Still works today, seven years and counting.

The tranny on your 350 is probably not all that different from my 250's. You just have to make sure that all the little washers, spacers and gears go in properly and in the right order and you'll be fine. The tranny is probably the most complicated part on a bike but it's still just nuts and bolts. After doing it, you'll be able to tackle anything.
 Matt. ;)
1974 CB350F,  1980 CB125S,  1981 XL80S
Non Honda's: 86 & 87 Husqvarna 400wr's

My CB350F resto: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=30467.0
Gallery at:
http://gallery.sohc4.net/main.php?g2_itemId=298318

Offline Helo229

• Enthusiast
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2007, 10:34:31 pm »
Apparently it's not just me, but if I'm ever about to give up on something technical and just buy a replacement, I always tear it apart. VCR's, stereo's, computers, lawnmowers, cellphone, palm pilots, etc. etc.
A) It's the best way to learn
B) It's already broken, so you can't break it anymore
C) I love to find out how things work
D) Chances are you can figure it out and fix it
E) If you still can't repair it, at least you'll learn what to do/not to do when you buy a replacement
F) It's better than having a garage full of lonely tools
and finally
G) I wouldn't feel right wearing my man-pants if I didn't  ;D

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2007, 11:13:22 pm »
Well, my old man is bringing down a 'workbench' (it was his sink counter) from the barber shop he ran for 30 years that he closed last year and we are converting it into a living room engine training center :)

So, I'm taking my socks off and getting one step closer to the cold water in the lake. I'm almost ready to get my feet wet. I still have to find my man-pants somewhere:)
SOHC4 Member#44153  

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2007, 01:27:30 am »
well time to get my feet wet! I decided to try and tackle my 68 cb350 motor that got stuck on me earlier this summer. If anyone wants to stop by I will be posting to the twins forum (and here too I'm sure) http://hondatwins.com/phpBB1/viewtopic.php?p=1045#1045

SOHC4 Member#44153  

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2007, 04:41:57 am »

Mike, either here or @ hondatwins.com be glad to offer assistance where ever I can. ;) I'm curious what happened too. ???

Later on, Bill :) ;)
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline Helo229

• Enthusiast
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2007, 04:51:10 am »
Congrats sir - tearing apart an engine you're not sticking your toes in the cold lake, you're diving in! And to those about to get greasy, we salute you!  ;D