Author Topic: Motorcycle Memories: Pictures & Stories Of Bikes Of Family & Close Friends  (Read 83733 times)

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
Re: Motorcycle Memories: Pictures & Stories Of Bikes Of Family & Close Friends
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2007, 08:44:21 pm »

Sharp looking ride Chris! 8) Sure wish I still had my 76' Volare' road runner. I saw where a fellow dropped a 440 into one without too much work and had a great running runner! They already HAD a good ride to them! ;)

Later on, Bill :) ;)
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2007, 08:59:35 am »
Lot of Mopar boys here. I better get some pics of my Chevelles up here. Level the field so to speak.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2007, 12:23:29 pm »
Lot of Mopar boys here. I better get some pics of my Chevelles up here. Level the field so to speak.

Sounds good Bobby! 8) Do it to it! ;)

Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Offline DarkRider

• Nomad.or Drifter...Def not a
  • Old Timer
  • Lone Wolf.....Among the herd of sport bikers...
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2007, 06:06:54 pm »

Sharp looking ride Chris! 8) Sure wish I still had my 76' Volare' road runner. I saw where a fellow dropped a 440 into one without too much work and had a great running runner! They already HAD a good ride to them! ;)

Would love to have another Aspen sometime. If i were to do it all over again i would probably go for a 360 in it this round...would def have to have the 4 speed mine had if not it would have to be  Torqueflite 727 with a manual valve body and shift kit so i could still bang the gears.
'84 Chevy C10
'73 MGB Roadster
'69 Ford F250

Currently a rider without a bike

Quote from: heffay
so, you say just tie myself on with this... and steer w/ this?   ;D ;D  ok.  where's my goggles?   8)

Offline hoodellyhoo

• CB350F
  • Master
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2008, 04:55:12 pm »
Since I'm new to bikes and still on the first one, I don't have much of my own for memories. But I did spend a day scanning old pictures of my dad's bikes that I can share, so here goes.

My dad (and my aunt Janet) with his first bike, 1973 cb125.

Bike #2 1974 CB360

Bike #3 1978 CB400 Hawk (not the automatic). Picture is from a time my dad and uncle LeRoy visited my great grandma.

Bike #4 1980 CX500 Custom

Bike #5 1981 Seca 750. Bike is pictured with brand new 4-1 exhaust after the stockers rusted out. This is the bike I got my first motorcycle ride on when I was about 9 yrs old.

And finally, this is me getting my first ride on a harley. After it was done, my dad asked me how it was. My reply: "I feel like a million dollars". ;D

1972 CB350F (Back from the Dead!)- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=20822.0
1965? S65 - Coming Eventually!
1972 CB750K2 (father-son project)
1976 CB750K6- (sold) http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=96859.0
1976 CB750K6 (sold)- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=62569.0

newcbguy

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2008, 07:40:07 pm »
Here are some pics of my dads kawasaki 350 avenger and triumph. the last one is my granpda on the avenger.

newcbguy

« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2008, 08:37:14 pm »
here are 2 more. the first one is my dad at 13 on a yamaha campus 60 popping a wheelie trying to show off for a girl. The next is the 500 triple.

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2008, 07:28:34 pm »

Hey newcbguy.  Those are really some mighty choice photos. Now, that's the kind of stuff Memories are made of! Thanks for sharing! 8) ;)

Member # 1969

Offline tbpmusic

• Expert
Yours Truly, ca:1963
My blue Super Hawk.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, then it's an electrical problem"

Bill Lane
 '71 CB450 Mutant/ '75 CB200/ '81 CM200/ '71 C70M

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
Yours Truly, ca:1963
My blue Super Hawk.

Hey Bill, Glad to see you and the old Super Hawk made it here. Brings back some memories for me too. Makes me think about my old 66' CB72 Hawk. ;)

Member # 1969

Offline 1080

• Hot Shot
 My first motorcycle was a 1971 Kaw 90cc streetbike. My Dad said if you want a motorcycle you'll have to buy it yourself. This is all I could afford. It was a good starting bike, because I am still hear enjoying bikes. To many kids start on a too fast of a bike, and do not live.

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
My first motorcycle was a 1971 Kaw 90cc streetbike. My Dad said if you want a motorcycle you'll have to buy it yourself. This is all I could afford. It was a good starting bike, because I am still hear enjoying bikes. To many kids start on a too fast of a bike, and do not live.

Cool picture! I agree, that a person should start low and work their way up. I knew a kid in Junior High School, who's dad bought him a CB77 Super Hawk for his 1st bike! :o ::) Those were quick and capable of about 110mph! Not Very Bright, IMHO! Some might do okay, but as a whole I don't think so.

Take care, Bill :) ;)
Member # 1969

Superbiker_uk

My Dad is 82 and has alzheimer's. He had never shown me these pictures but had told me a few bike stories about his Norton when I was a kid. Found these two pictures the other week and they are the only ones I have ever seen of him on his bike. Not sure of the Norton model - ES2 maybe?? Any suggestions? Anyway - still love him dearly and thankfully have some better memories to fall back on when things get tough. I wish he could tell me about the pictures himself :( but it's good to have found them.

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...

Nice photos of your Dad and his Norton. Wish I could help ID it, but I can't. ::)  Seems your Dad and mine are about the same age. My Dad will be 83 in July. Sorry to hear about the alzheimer's. I know that is going to put a strain on you all. :( And my prayers are with you all on that.

Take care, Bill ;)   
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 08:34:07 am by bill440cars »
Member # 1969

Offline DarkRider

• Nomad.or Drifter...Def not a
  • Old Timer
  • Lone Wolf.....Among the herd of sport bikers...
Dont have any pictures of him but I feel i might as well tell you all a lil more about Carver. Him and my dad were close friends when i was very young. If i recall right i wasnt much more then 5 or 6 when i met him. Back then he just seemed to be a pot smoking hippie that had some cool bikes. Little did i know what all he had for bikes at the time. If i remember right the first time i ever met him was when he came and bought some old bikes from my dad. Back then we had at least 15 old bikes kicking around the place.  But later on i got the chance to see Carvers collection of bikes. A lot of my earliest memories of him were of looking at his old Jawas and CZ motorcycles. One of the bikes he bought from my dad was an old 125 cc motocrosser. When dad had it we both thought it was at least a 250 given its overall size. But no Caver knew exactly what it was..an old works style bike with a few goodies in it. I doubt it but i would like to get that old 125 back into my family so it doesnt go to the crusher. Anyways i digress...as i have said before he taught me a lot of what i know when it comes to older bikes. If i recall right the first bike i owned he worked on a couple times...basicly he was around the entire time i was growing from being a young kid on an old beaten up scooter to being an adult with a Sport bike. It was thanks to him that i got back into bikes again when i bought my CB750K4...Which if i had never bought that bike..i wouldnt have met all of you...
'84 Chevy C10
'73 MGB Roadster
'69 Ford F250

Currently a rider without a bike

Quote from: heffay
so, you say just tie myself on with this... and steer w/ this?   ;D ;D  ok.  where's my goggles?   8)

Offline Grizzly

• Enthusiast
Hopefully there are some pictures for you to look at of my 750 before it was rebuilt to standard (750K7).K7 Pictures in the gallery.

It was in a bit of a sorry state when I got it. It was a non runner. The motor is on standard bores, I don't know how many miles it has covered. The rings have been renewed as they were 5 thou past their wear limit and to this day it does not use any oil. Cycle parts were repaired, repainted or replaced. The carbs were a complete mess, number 3 pot inparticular, as can be seen by the exhaust header in one of the photos. They just would not balance up. I tried everthing. People following me would laugh because when I opened the throttle a large black cloud would come out of the exhaust like a cannon firing. I only got round the problem by fitting brand new K7 carbs. The exhaust is a Motad and replaced the Marshal Deeptone that fell to bits at the first touch of a spanner. The left hand sidepannel is held on with cable ties because the frame is K7, the side panel's are F1 and the mounting lugs on the frame don't line up with those on the panel. Though the oil tank side fits fine. Some one had removed the twin hinge fitting of the K7 seat and welded the single hinge set up for the F series seat that you see fitted in the photo's. A bracket was welded to the frame in order to take the brake fluid reservoir for the F series rear disc that replaced the drum brake as fitted  to the K7. The swinging arm is also F series. I think the brake caliper and master cylinder are off a CB650 and no front stoplight switch was fitted.

Having said all that once the bike was tarted up and those new carbs were fitted it ran great for years and I really enjoyed riding it. I've done 15000 mls on it. She broke down only once when the ignition switch started acting up but we still made it home.

A great bike!!

Grizzly

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 10:22:41 am by Grizzly »
The older I get the faster I used to be!!!!

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...

Grizzly, that bike of yours, tells it's own tale and from the looks of it, it tells a mighty fine tale at that! 8)  ;)     Thanks for posting it.

Take care, Bill ;)
Member # 1969

Offline dustyc

• I don't know why anyone would call me an
  • Expert
  • 1977 CB750K
Here's one of my Grandpa(the man on the left), one of his Harleys and one of his buddies -and that's me off to the left. 

« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 10:09:03 pm by dustyc »
1977 CB750

Offline Grizzly

• Enthusiast
Here is a picture of my grandad or Pop as he liked to be called.

Grandad rode motorcycles all his life and never had a car. Sadly grandad went to that great highway in the sky in 1981 and I still miss him!!!!

Does anybody recognise the manufacturer of the bike as no one in the family can remember?

Here are 2 more pictures taken in the late 1950's on a springheeled or plunger if you like BSA Bantam. My gran and grandad used to go touring all over the Yorkshire Dales in the north of England. Gran or Maggie used to say to me she would never have thanked grandad for getting a car. In 1987 gran was in great health. The last words she ever spoke to me were I would love a ride on the back of your bike!! Problem was dads words to me as I was leaveing to see gran on that last ever visit were don't take your gran on the back of the bike. I wish I had

Cheers

Grizzly
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 12:06:04 pm by Grizzly »

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...

Hey Grizzly. Cool pictures, but I have no idea what the one is. Sorry bout that, I can I.D. some bikes, but not that one.

Take care, Bill ;)
Member # 1969

Offline Grizzly

• Enthusiast
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2008, 07:47:35 am »
Hi Bill

I must admit it has me beat. Even blowing up the picture doesn't help. If I use my imagination New Imperial looks likely, maybe. But people that know more than me reckon not.

Thanks for trying mate.

See ya

Grizzly

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2008, 11:47:17 am »
Nice idea for a thread, Bill.  Here's my Dad, who passed away in June, 2 days before his 78th birthday.  That is a '64 Duo Glide that I later bought from him when I was 19.

Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline Grizzly

• Enthusiast
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2008, 12:07:52 pm »
Cool pic Ofreen.

Sorry about your dad. I always think looking back at old pictures makes some of the hurt go away for a while.

Cheers

Grizzly

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2008, 12:18:33 pm »
Cool pic Ofreen.

Sorry about your dad. I always think looking back at old pictures makes some of the hurt go away for a while.

Cheers

Grizzly

Thanks, Griz.  You are right about that.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline Grizzly

• Enthusiast
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2008, 01:17:56 pm »
When I look at old photo's I feel that they are still here in some way, not gone. I can still hear the old tales such as fixing snapped drive belts with a hair pin and so on. A can remember me grandads comment when I took my new 550K3 to show him " my god four pots that'll crack the ton and then some eh!" and me gran wanting a go on the back!

Cheers

Grizly