Author Topic: Folding Pegs or Not?  (Read 1462 times)

Offline jdawg

Folding Pegs or Not?
« on: October 13, 2007, 06:18:41 am »
How important are folding pegs? I built some rearsets and now I'm wondering if I should have made the pegs folding. It would be a ton more work to do and I already have the non-folders done.

What do you guys think - what's the pros and cons?

1974 CB750 K4 - old junk to fiddle with

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
Re: Folding Pegs or Not?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 06:20:34 am »
does the kickstart clear on the other side? if so, then I probably wouldn't worry about folding pegs. In the event of a crash the cases will probably take the hit first.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 06:42:03 am »
I'm under the impression that they fold for safety reasons. Should you lay it over that far in a corner (having never done this, I can't verify it ;)), the peg will give some. Otherwise the first thing that would happen with a rigid peg is the rear wheel will lift off the pavement.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline jdawg

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 06:50:52 am »
No the kickstand does not clear. I am planning on moving it forward 4 or 5 inches. Good catch.

I'm prestty sure I will never have it leaned over that far. The cases will touch down before the pegs will and I will run out of grip/balls way before that.  ;)

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 07:12:19 am »
take it as you will, but: I don't think that you will find a stock bike without folding pegs. As Bob points out, most stock bike are set up so that the pegs will touch first in a hard cornering situation giving you warning before anything else touches down. With my 750 F1, the stock exhaust is actually the first to touch the ground in a hard right turn with the stock pegs on. I'm builduing a set of rearset for it and the pegs that I have do not fold.

Searching in the after market, I have found rearsets that do and do not fold up. But factory always has them fold.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 08:26:18 am »
I think the main reason is.once the bike is down, if the peg does not fold or break off, the bike may spin around on the peg rather than slide. Have seen a Norton do this and the rider managed to hang on (sorta) for about 2 1/2 to 3 rotations!! I was laughing so hard it took about 3 tries to get my sidestand down.

AMA in dirt track I believe requires folding pegs, pretty sure DOT does too.

I have seen quite a few Honda pegs welded up, mine are right now.. A buddy welded his up and they eventually got bent up about 15 deg from hard cornering.

I will say this when you go down hard and the motormount bolt gets bent, I am pretty sure the surface where it touches the frame is no longer flat.. on the rearset shown the frame bracket will likely twist if laid down. You could put a breakaway notch on the peg but its a bit tricky.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 08:27:05 am »
Jdawg

I’m in the same situation. It’s a lot more effort to build folding pegs than fixed pegs. The folding pegs also protrude farther to accommodate the pivots. Because you have fab’d the rearset mounts as welded frame members, I’d ensure that your pegs are built from hollow aluminum to provide a breaking point as not to bend the frame in the event of a get off.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline ken736cc

• When the cops pull me over, I usually let them off with just a warning.
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 10:46:35 am »
I have seen a Japanese market 750K0 with factory non folding footpegs. I think folding pegs might be a U.S. market requirement
K0 sandcast(in process of restoration), K0 diecast, K0 cafe racer
BMW R69S daily rider, 71SL350, 71 SL100, 63 SS50

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 11:27:13 am »
They look high enough not to need to fold.
Only reason to have a folder on right side is to use kickstart if battery is low. If it clears don't worry.
If they are folding they either have to have a locking mechanism or be spring loaded so they wont stay up by accident
(its in one of the rule books/regs I read)
PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline rhinoracer

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 11:23:33 pm »
Jdawg

as not to bend the frame in the event of a get off.

I'd say this is a good reason to have folding footpegs.
Baja native.

Offline jdawg

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 05:41:30 am »
all,

Thanks for the feedback - alot of great points. I think I'll move on for now, there is still a ton of other stuff to do still. I'll revist before I set off down the road.

Thanks again.