Author Topic: 1978 CB750 Super Sport  (Read 4491 times)

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
    • Mike's Metric Vintage Honda
Re: 1978 CB750 Super Sport
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2007, 09:25:51 pm »
I HIGHLY recommend taking the MSF course.  Took it before I even picked up my bike.  The actual "on bike" experience is invaluable.

Welcome!

Oh yes, if you've NEVER rode before, go learn on a bike that weighs 1/3 of that 750. Tip their bike over- not yours. You're going to do it. Get it out of the way without damaging your new beauty. It's money well spent. I took the class and the whole time I was calculating how much money I wasted, but I still picked up some valuable info.  Some things I was forced to do over and over again I improved on.

I guess it depends on the individual. I tried to get into the course but it would fill up in less than a day for the entire summer. It was a joke to get into and it is suppose to be very beneficial. I've ridden dirt bikes in the past so I guess that can account for some learning, I've ridden dirt bikes since about 85 and 2006 went and got the permit portion and rode with an experienced rider using my bike. The next riding season I went to the DMV and went through the cones and all of the exercises on the 750.

I believe that it's people who don't learn how to handle their bikes are the ones that are way more likely to be involved in an accident.

http://www.ridelikeapro.com/

This DVD showed the best advice I have seen. 110 lb women cranking a full dresser, scraping the pegs, through the cones. Like the motorman says, if a woman can handle an 800 lb bike, why can't a manly man get it to perform?

Inadequate training and practice. You want to learn to ride your bike like the dork between your legs.

Oh ya, everyone is out to run you over...keep a sharp eye.

I took it because my uncle said that even though I can ride I should still do it. He was a big influence on me growing up, so I took his advice. He raced for years, yadda yadda. Like I said, it felt like a waste of money the whole time, but I still learned some things. I mean when was the last time you spen two hours practicing u-turns? So, it's a goo investment either way. You get an insurance break, hang out with people who make way more money than you do and already own bikes I will never be able to afford even before they knew how to ride. For a complete novice it's a no brainer, though. I saw people who could barely move on the things completing figure 8 u-tuns inside a small box at the end of the course, so take it for what it's worth.
SOHC4 Member#44153  
www.mikesmetric.com | www.mikedialect.com

Offline Wheelhorse77

• She's got some Juice
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 08:56:54 am »

I took it because my uncle said that even though I can ride I should still do it. He was a big influence on me growing up, so I took his advice. He raced for years, yadda yadda. Like I said, it felt like a waste of money the whole time, but I still learned some things. I mean when was the last time you spen two hours practicing u-turns? So, it's a goo investment either way. You get an insurance break, hang out with people who make way more money than you do and already own bikes I will never be able to afford even before they knew how to ride. For a complete novice it's a no brainer, though. I saw people who could barely move on the things completing figure 8 u-tuns inside a small box at the end of the course, so take it for what it's worth.

Ya, and then they go and buy a 1200 cc or greater bike only to go and hurt themselves. My point is this, learn to ride the bike you will have between your legs in a controlled environment, as did I, not a tiny 250CC motorcycle they give you at the MSF course.

The teachers said they work for free because they are passionate about what they do, and though there may have been people who make more than me attending the class, I don't think that factors into how one can ride, only the amount of what one can purchase. I didn't make the lottery and couldn't tell you what happened in the class after that. I did however, after learing to ride the 750 on side streets and pulling u turns and practicing figure 8's between the curbs allowed me to do really well on the DMV test using my bike. I really don't believe that by taking the MSF you should get a free bee that allows people to just get their picture taken. It's simply not enough.

I see too many doctors, lawyers, business men in general take the MSF only to go and buy a Road King Classic and lose control of it with in a year or two. Not all, but they stand a greater risk. You could have 30 years under your belt as a rider, but if you don't practice with your bike, your only kidding yourself.

For anyone who does not believe you can slam an 800 lb bike through the cones, watch ride like a pro; I was once ignorant enough to believe it wasn't possible: now I see either you can ride or you can't; no excuse.
77 750F2 ressurected from the dead
ASE Advanced Level Master Tech

Offline Helo229

• Enthusiast
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2007, 06:22:30 am »

Ya, and then they go and buy a 1200 cc or greater bike only to go and hurt themselves. My point is this, learn to ride the bike you will have between your legs in a controlled environment, as did I, not a tiny 250CC motorcycle they give you at the MSF course.

The teachers said they work for free because they are passionate about what they do, and though there may have been people who make more than me attending the class, I don't think that factors into how one can ride, only the amount of what one can purchase. I didn't make the lottery and couldn't tell you what happened in the class after that. I did however, after learing to ride the 750 on side streets and pulling u turns and practicing figure 8's between the curbs allowed me to do really well on the DMV test using my bike. I really don't believe that by taking the MSF you should get a free bee that allows people to just get their picture taken. It's simply not enough.

I see too many doctors, lawyers, business men in general take the MSF only to go and buy a Road King Classic and lose control of it with in a year or two. Not all, but they stand a greater risk. You could have 30 years under your belt as a rider, but if you don't practice with your bike, your only kidding yourself.

For anyone who does not believe you can slam an 800 lb bike through the cones, watch ride like a pro; I was once ignorant enough to believe it wasn't possible: now I see either you can ride or you can't; no excuse.

You don't get a freebie by taking the MSF course. They can and will fail you if you do not pass a written exam and road test. And I'm sure that the video is very good and useful. Tell me though, what makes more sense:

A) Taking the course, riding one of their bikes, then spending the $xxxx.xx on a bike of your own once you have a basic feel for it
-or-
B) Buying a DVD and a motorcycle will costs several thousand dollars, and figuring out how to do what you see on the TV.

I'm sure the DVD is great, I'm sure it's packed with lots of useful information.
But for most people (at least in PA, because it's free) they take the class to see if they're ready for the investment of biking.

And not to mention:
- It's 4 sessions, only 3-5 hours each, so it's not like it's eatting up all your free time
- You can save up to 15-20% on your insurance if you pass it.
- You have the option of learning how to ride on someone else's bike, rather than risk dropping your own
- You also  have the option of riding your own bike if you so wish (up to 500 or 750cc I believe)
- You have actual instructors there to answer your questions, and work with you if you need help
- I doubt you recieve any of the classroom segment on the DVD, including, but not limited to
    - Pre-ride inspection process
    - Options of increasing your visibility to other motorists
    - Selection of proper safety gear
- Provide a safe learning enviroment, which, unless you live within walking/pushing distance of an empty lot, you're going to be on the road with other vehicles before you get to learn/practice anything safely
- Most bikes aren't equiped with a DVD player and TV, and chances of your remembering everything the video is trying to teach you when you go out to practice are nill
- And lastly, they stress throughout the course that bikes are not like cars in the least, and each make, model, and year is going to have a different feel, weight, and balance to it, and in turn, URGE you to become familiar with any bike you get on before riding it in earnest.

If you took the course and expected to jump on a 750 after riding a 250, that's your own fault. They warn you in the course, and people who buy 1000cc+ bikes and wreck them within a year aren't getting any of my sympathy.

I don't know why you're so vehement about the course. That's great, you bought the DVD, learned to ride like a pro, and feel the course is a waste. The MSF is a great organization, and they do a great job of introducing people to biking, and I don't care how much you learned from your DVD, there is simply no reason for you to try and talk someone who is new to motorcycling out of taking the course. If I had watched your DVD and found it useful, I would suggest it as well, but I wouldn't knock one or the other, because most people will never get to the god-like level of motorcycling this DVD seems to have given you. It's all about continuously building your skills as a biker, and constantly learning, from any available source, because you never know when you'll call on those skills to save your life. And I apologize if this last paragraph sounds like I'm trolling on you, but seriously, you're telling someone not to take a SAFETY COURSE when they're admittedly new to motorcycles.

Offline joeb

• Hot Shot
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2007, 08:09:48 am »
The things you learn at a MSF course  at  the time seem like a waste of time until you get in a situation when there is no time to think just react and you will be amazed that the money you have spent was not a waste. I would clean the carbs myself the bike will not run right untill yoou clean them out. ;D     

Offline dagersh

• "A country attempting to tax itself into prosperity is akin to a man standing in a bucket attempting to lift that bucket by its handle. - Winston Churchill"
  • Expert
    • Photos
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2007, 12:23:32 pm »
I was riding for a good year and a half on a 1200cc Buell before i took my safety course.  I had put a pretty good amount of miles on my bike and had a pretty solid base of experience.  I took the safety course for three reasons - 1. I was still on permits (I know, i know....) 2. I was looking at a nice deduction in Insurance Premiums and most importantly, 3. I wanted to tap the knowledge of the instructors.

I learned a lot of really excellent pointers on everything from pre-ride inspection, how to really get a good feel for the clutch and brakes, body position while in different situations, and most importantly how to ride a motorcycle safely and still enjoy the hell out of it.  It was the best time/money I have ever spent in terms of motorcycling - including the purchase of safety equipment. 

EVERYTIME I AM OUT ON MY BIKES I EMPLOY SOME ASPECT OF THAT COURSE, CONSIOUSLY AND SUBCONSIOUSLY!

A few weeks ago I posted my experience of hitting a deer at about 40mph.  The deer died.  I not only walked away, but was able to ride the bike safely home.  I absolutely believe that using the knowledge and experience of the course allowed me to survive that incident.  My instructor drilled into us that to fall or lay the bike down means you have given up.  I know that cannot apply to all situations, but that thought was going through my mind with the force of a freight train.

All I can tell you is the MSF Course is a must for new riders.  The DVD should also be a must for new riders.  Reading books and articles on how to ride better is a must for us all. Every cell phone talking/coffee drinking/make-up applying/daydreaming-whilst-driving-a-4,000 lb-wrecking-ball soccer-mom and dad a-hole is out to kill us (maybe not conciously, but why discuss semantics)

Remember, knowledge is power, and we need all the power we can get out there.

Gersh
1962 CA95
1966 Black Bomber
1966 CA77 Dream
1967 Superhawk
1970 CB750K0
1972 CL350
1972 CB450/500 Custom
1972 CB500K1
1975 CB550F
1976 CB400F
1975 CB750 Future Restoration