Author Topic: Sparty's 10/14 ride report... the break in continues.  (Read 1005 times)

Offline sparty

• I just play one on TV
  • Master
  • My engine is 100% stock... wink.
    • Gallery
Sparty's 10/14 ride report... the break in continues.
« on: October 14, 2007, 06:12:19 pm »
Ride Report 10/14/07

I took the Hot Rod CB750 for a double ride today to continue breaking the engine in properly.  I mapped out a very nice 33 mile loop from my home through the country roads.  The plan was to ride the loop twice (with a lunch in between), using all of the gears when possible, avoiding a continuous speed, using the gears to brake the engine, and have some fun. 

A few miles into the loop there is a section of road that is rated 55 MPH, it runs for four miles (very little car traffic).  On this section a saw 5th gear and a ridiculous speed.  My helmet felt like it was 100 pounds with the wind hitting it. Note to self: I need a more aerodynamic lid.  About 20+ miles of the loop are nothing but twisty roads where the sport bike guys love to drag their knees – boy I miss my GSRX.  I passed by many many many farms and all of the horses and sheep ran for cover as I neared.  The Kerker is loud at 6000 RPMs.  There are several 90 degree right handers that required downshift to first, out of the corners the Hot Rod accelerates like my old Gixxer.  1,2,3 gear and set up for the next series of snaking road and the occasional left hand 3rd gear, 50 MPH sweeper.  (I can’t wait for my suspension upgrades in the spring).  Two turkey ran out in front of me over a crest as I was ready for a forth gear run, but I throttled down and used both brakes with a down shift into second.  The next six miles were good pavement and a long straight shot to 5th gear.  80 MPH came quick at under 6000 RPM.  I crossed town and returned home.  Shut the bike down and let it cool while I had a late lunch.

At 4 PM I was back on the bike for the second time through the loop.  It went pretty much the same, except that 15 miles into the loop I was getting chilled.  I was wearing my Cortech mesh jacket without the liner.  It was fine for the fist loop, but much too light this time around.  Five miles later and my teeth were chattering.  By the time I got home I was pretty freaking cold.  It took me a good hour, a blanket, and a cup of decaf to warm back up.

Today's CB ride was a blast.  These roads are so much fun, but you have to watch out for some Amish buggies and “road apples”.  On the return trip during the second ride, I had a manure spreader in front of me for about 300 feet.  I was crawling in 1st gear until I could pass.  As I passed and shifted into second a 6000 RPM, I went heavy on the throttle and lifted the front wheel a few inches.  The 17 T front sprocket loves that.  When I got home I had little specks of poop on my visor, headlight, front forks exhaust, and oil filter.  The Hot Rod received its first proper country christening.

I also shot a video of the bike running so that you guys could hear it, but the video sounded like crap when I played it.  You can hear the cam chain and stuff, but the exhaust note doesn’t show up well.  I need to try it again soon.

Sparty
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 06:33:08 pm by sparty »
1972 CB750 K2 Cafe' Style

GO AWAY SNOW AND COLD!  Can you see the Hot Rod wants to run...
“That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.”

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Sparty's 10/14 ride report... the break in continues.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 06:23:04 pm »
Great ride report Art!! I was smiling by the end of it knowing how much fun you had!! Excellent! Cant wait for the vids!! Wish I could have been there as well but yesterday we had our own 7 hour ride in Fall weather and met Ted Simon!!! (Jupiters Travels - my inspiration!!).

Thanks for sharing,
cheers
Andy

Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350