Author Topic: The high intensity of modern motorcycles as seen by an old fart  (Read 5600 times)

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
The high intensity of modern motorcycles as seen by an old fart
« on: October 31, 2007, 04:38:07 pm »
I purchased a 2007 Hayabusa today from a dealership about 60 miles from my home. As the weather this halloween day was in the middle 60's, unusual for eastern Mass, I figured today was the day to ride it home.

I had been breaking in my newly rebuilt  cb750 this summer, as well as my trusty '82 Bmw r100rs. While I had ridden quite a few motorcycles over the last 37 years, the only modern bike was a 2005 Low Rider, and I'm not sure that even qualifies as modern.

After receiving assorted cautionary instruction from the staff at Wareham Cycles, who were all younger than my children, and after realizing that the throttle had only a quarter of a turn of travel, I cautious turned into rush hour traffic on rt 28. I had owned an early 80's gs1100 a half dozen years ago, and kept bolstering my courage by telling myself that it couldn't be that much more powerful, and that kind of helped. However the difference is like night and day.

The busa doesn't have the muscular sound or feel of the air cooled GS, which could be a bear to handle, as the front wheel tending to want to wash out of line before the back one on hard cornering.
In a very unassuming way, the Busa attains warp speed without really breathing hard. One isn't aware of the speed as the bike is completely stable at speeds neither the Honda or BMW has ever seen, and where the GS front end was gently shaking.
It is very difficult to travel at a rational pace, 90 feels like 50, the rpms are just over 1/2 of the speed x100, i.e 4600rpm@90mph. It's so smooth that you start to think that maybe the speedo is being overly optomistic, by 20 or 30 mph, bringing me to my point.

I'm an old guy and was as satisfied with the power of my older bikes as any biker can be. I always want more, but these bikes felt comfortably like they have the same pace as I do. As I was zooming home today, wondering if my neck would hurt when I got home, I was thinking about how younger generations than mine had been progressively and increasingly stimulated by the media and video games and reports of imminent doom both natural and manmade. The Hayabusa seemed cut from the same cloth. It's an amped up version of the street racer I always romantically envisioned myself on. I kept thinking that I really don't belong to the generation that this bike represents, but at the same time, I was grinning like a Cheshire cat because it feels pretty darned awesome!

Maybe these kids are onto something.

Offline UnCrash

• Pass
  • Master
    • My Blog
Re: The high intensity of modern motorcycles as seen by an old fart
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 07:32:33 pm »
I've ridden a busa owned by a friend of mine and was stunned by how civilized it was around town and how quickly that flick of the wrist could launch you into 100+ mph warp speeds.

I am thoroughly impressed with the hyabusa.  What I find strange about it is how you can carve through a highway on ramp at 100+, kick it up into 4th gear, get on the throttle too much and find that you've been on one wheel for hundreds of more yards then you ever expected.  It's just that comfortable and stable.

I once heard a report that New Hampshire and then Maine state police were chasing a motorcycle from Louden to BrunswicK ME(117 miles) at speeds averaging 150 mph,  they never caught the driver.  I was sure it was my buddy as there are few bikes that can average +150mph and fewer drivers that are capable of the feat especially when being faced with lights in the mirror.  He's never fessed up and I respect that.

Regardless you know it was a busa that did that.
You can't make too much popcorn, but you can definately eat too much popcorn.

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 07:46:21 pm »
You guys have to be careful!! Enjoy it and try and wait for me to catch up next time we ride  ;D I know you bought it just to beat me  ;)

Congratulations,
Andy

**EDIT** -Deleted incorrect info
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 06:48:20 am by andy750 »
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 08:24:40 pm »
  ;D I know you bought it just to beat me  ;)

Hey Andy,

We compete on even ground, Dutchess of Queensbury and all that. Seriously, I think you feel the same way I do. It's much more fun riding together than making it into a competition. ( Although a little bit ain't bad ;D)

I really am not sure what motivated me to purchase the darned thing, but I think I'm glad I have it. You know what's funny is that as cool as this Hayabusa is, these old Hondas have something about them that is very satisfying in their own right. Chocolate and Vanilla. I don't think I know Steve's school mate, but would enjoy the opportunity to meet him. I did meet another guy who had both bikes, Michael Alexander, who said he knew you as well.

I hope I see you on Saturday in Ashland,
Ben

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 08:35:03 pm »
What I find strange about it is how you can carve through a highway on ramp at 100+, kick it up into 4th gear, get on the throttle too much and find that you've been on one wheel for hundreds of more yards then you ever expected.  It's just that comfortable and stable.

I once heard a report that New Hampshire and then Maine state police were chasing a motorcycle from Louden to BrunswicK ME(117 miles) at speeds averaging 150 mph,  they never caught the driver.  I was sure it was my buddy as there are few bikes that can average +150mph and fewer drivers that are capable of the feat especially when being faced with lights in the mirror.  He's never fessed up and I respect that.

Regardless you know it was a busa that did that.

Thanks for answering. Your perception of how the bike felt is similar to mine.
Stories like this and the ones that take place on the New York throughway, with a fill in the blank assortment of fast vehicles, always remind me of the Darwin award story about the fellow who attached the surplus jet assist rocket to his Nova. Sometimes I wonder if the reason these stories all finish with the rider getting away is because in actuality the guy vaporized due to excess speed.

Do you feel like you're sitting in a more upright position when up on one wheel? Kind of a trick question!

Offline HITMAN

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 08:49:35 pm »
Nova? I thought it was an El Camino all these years...  Guess it wouldn't matter much would it, kind of like take-off in SF without wings.

I don't think about keeping up with kids and squids with my Blackbird, more like a casual rider with a Ferrari.  You have it when you need it, otherwise it's just EFFORTLESS cruising that cannot be compared.

Congrats on the new (life) purchase.
1974 Honda CB550F
1984 Honda GL1200A
2003 Honda CBR1100XX

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 09:34:05 pm »
Why did it have to be a Busa doing 150+??

I saw at least 3 other bikes go that fast this fall..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 04:27:29 am »

I don't think about keeping up with kids and squids with my Blackbird, more like a casual rider with a Ferrari.  You have it when you need it, otherwise it's just EFFORTLESS cruising that cannot be compared.
Congrats on the new (life) purchase.

I agree with your POV 100%. Thanks and best to you as well!
Why did it have to be a Busa doing 150+??

I saw at least 3 other bikes go that fast this fall..

I'm sure there's all sorts of bikes now that can go triple the legal speed limit. Rider education is so important. I know I don't have the reflexes or strength of a 18 year old, but there's way too much information for a young novice to process on one of these bikes. Being 16 on a '70 Honda 450 was stimulating enough for me, I constantly had the thing wide open. I figure kids today don't act any differently, but the consequences of so much speed and power, so quickly, are overwhelming. I've actually volunteered to help with motorcycle education in Mass.

Offline S-Dog

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 05:01:35 am »
So you went through with the purchase!!!! CONGRATS... You have quite an eclectic stable now... 3 purty minty fresh looking bikes that each have their own place for different riding conditions.

Can't wait to see it.

Scott
1975 CB750K Bright Orange with 8300miles
1983 GL650 Silverwing Restore project with 17k miles

http://www.NEHondaGuys.info/forums

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 05:44:45 am »
So you went through with the purchase!!!! CONGRATS... You have quite an eclectic stable now... 3 purty minty fresh looking bikes that each have their own place for different riding conditions.

Can't wait to see it.

Scott

Might be decent although cold to ride on Sunday. I'm going to put some bar risers on this bike before I go too far though. You'll see when you check it out, it's not that the riding position is too uncomfortable, but that it's hard to turn your head as far to either side because the back of the helmet rubs hard against the collar of your coat. This is not too safe a situation, so I want correct it before I do much more riding on it. (Any it'll make the riding position fit just right I think)
Any luck with the cb purchase you were speaking of?

All best and thanks for you kind description of my overcrowded garage contents,
Ben

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 05:47:11 am »
;D I know you bought it just to beat me  ;)

Andy, I was thinking more rationally this morning and realized I purchased this thing because I thought it was the only way I could beat you!
All best,
Ben

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 06:01:10 am »
Most modern bikes will do 100+ in third.

My Triumph is only a 955 triple and easily frightens me when I'm not paying attention. I'm a bit of a GHOF and the feeling of the front wheel skipping over the surface gives me the willies (do use that phrase?)

And yet I still hanker after a 1050...

One thing about old bikes (and modern Triumphs) is that they stand out in a crowd.

Park up with a bunch of CBR/GSXR/ZZR bikes and you'll be the one who everyone approaches). 
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Offline S-Dog

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 06:15:42 am »
Every where I go with the CB someone ALWAYS has a story from their younger days.
1975 CB750K Bright Orange with 8300miles
1983 GL650 Silverwing Restore project with 17k miles

http://www.NEHondaGuys.info/forums

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 07:05:17 am »
Dont worry Ben I was only teasing....Im not the competitive type  ::) ;)

Looking forward to seeing the Busa but I dont think I can make Ashland on Saturday - need to get some work done  :(

Ride safe!
cheers
Andy

Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline Tim.

• Master
  • www.DOTHETON.com
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 09:38:47 am »
After riding a Ducati Sport Classic 1000 a few weeks back, my first ride on a sub-30 year old bike, I can say for now at least that I need to steer clear of anything with the power of a modern bike.

I'm sure I'd get used to both the acceleration and braking, but my good ol' R75/6 is plenty for me.

Roule comme dans les années 70...   Roll as in the Seventies...

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 10:47:48 am »
I kept thinking that I really don't belong to the generation that this bike represents, but at the same time, I was grinning like a Cheshire cat because it feels pretty darned awesome!

ya know... i've ridden with and been friends w/ several busa owners.  to my surprise, they've all been over 40 years old.
maybe the younger guys do have some sense  ;)

as a setup guy at metro motorsports and town and country motorsports in AZ i got to ride every bike that went out the door... the busa is still a dream for me but, it is a damn good memory... even if i've only done a few 10 mile test burners.   ;D

that brings up a good point... if you think you're the only one who's ridden your bike hard you're probably wrong... i remember several R1s that were tested for "balance point verification" w/in the first few miles  ;D
Today: '73 cb350f, '96 Ducati 900 Supersport
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 02:19:30 pm »
After riding a Ducati Sport Classic 1000 a few weeks back, my first ride on a sub-30 year old bike, I can say for now at least that I need to steer clear of anything with the power of a modern bike.
I'm sure I'd get used to both the acceleration and braking, but my good ol' R75/6 is plenty for me.

I agree that my comfort zone is also based on bikes from the /5 to /7 era. While I'm sure I'll get used to this bike, I'm pretty sure that I will continue using my other 2 bikes for the back roads stomps that I really enjoy. I'm going to continue to acclimatize once I get some bar risers on there to try and get a bit of weight off of my hands, and will see if I can keep it to a more moderate pace. Will keep you posted, thanks!
I kept thinking that I really don't belong to the generation that this bike represents, but at the same time, I was grinning like a Cheshire cat because it feels pretty darned awesome!

ya know... i've ridden with and been friends w/ several busa owners.  to my surprise, they've all been over 40 years old.

as a setup guy at metro motorsports and town and country motorsports in AZ i got to ride every bike that went out the door... the busa is still a dream for me but, it is a damn good memory... even if i've only done a few 10 mile test burners.   ;D

that brings up a good point... if you think you're the only one who's ridden your bike hard you're probably wrong... i remember several R1s that were tested for "balance point verification" w/in the first few miles  ;D

I really didn't ride it hard. The service guy suggested running it a different engine speeds to seat the rings correctly, but to keep it under 6 grand. I think the fastest I saw was around 120, but the freaking redline is 11k!

Offline sparty

• I just play one on TV
  • Master
  • My engine is 100% stock... wink.
    • Gallery
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 02:45:35 pm »

That is because they are the only people who can afford them. ;D

Congrats Ben, be safe and bring some extra undies for when you hit 4th gear. :o

I rode a Busa a few times back when they were new on the market.  My speeds were much too fast and I never, never went anywhere near redline. I remember looking down at the speedo and saying, I need this bike.  I changed gears, looked down again and said to myself, well there goes my license forever.

Sparty
1972 CB750 K2 Cafe' Style

GO AWAY SNOW AND COLD!  Can you see the Hot Rod wants to run...
“That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.”

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2007, 05:17:26 pm »

[/quote]

That is because they are the only people who can afford them. ;D

Congrats Ben, be safe and bring some extra undies for when you hit 4th gear. :o

I rode a Busa a few times back when they were new on the market.  My speeds were much too fast and I never, never went anywhere near redline. I remember looking down at the speedo and saying, I need this bike.  I changed gears, looked down again and said to myself, well there goes my license forever.

Sparty

As far as the tickets go, I agree with you, I can feel it's just too darned easy on that bike. Funny thing is, at this time of year  on rt 495, going to and from the cape the traffic is fairly light, and everyone is doing 80 and up. There's not a cop to be seen. I couldn't believe how fast the traffic was moving, it was a crying shame I tell ya, a crying shame!

The Hayabusa ( I haven't owned it long enough to feel righteous about calling it a Busa) is real fast and all, but the brakes and suspension and general layout keep up pretty darned well.
I think it takes just as big cahones to put a strong motor in the cb, and get it flying through corners. (BTW, I actually love the way the cb handles, it takes some effort, but the more weight you hang over on the low side, the more it likes it. I guess that's up to a point though. ;D)

As far as the change of underwear, it no big deal. I'll probably be wearing Depends soon anyhow! :o
We have to have a regional group ride next year Art. It'll be a lot of fun! I'll even bring my own ear plugs! Maybe we can do it in the Spring when it starts getting nice.
All best,
Ben

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2007, 06:20:13 pm »

There is of course the East Coast Ride to look forward to....well basically Art and everyone else inbetween him and New England, meet up somewhere (NY state?) and ride for a weekend with an overnight stay for beer drinking and biker stories. Late May/early June? Stay tuned...

cheers
Andy

Current bikes

Offline Tim.

• Master
  • www.DOTHETON.com
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2007, 06:27:42 pm »
I think it's the insurance that keeps the kiddies away from the Busa, more than the sticker price.  Up here I'd think insurance would run the average 20 year old $4,000 or so annually, if they can even get insured.
Roule comme dans les années 70...   Roll as in the Seventies...

Offline canyon750

• Enthusiast
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2007, 06:35:28 pm »
I totally know how you feel about the modern bike to classic sindrome.  The first time I rode my VFR out of the showroom I opened it up on a long stretch of a bridge and looked down to an indicated 120mph on the speedo!   :o  It only took 2 or 3 seconds to get from a comfortable 60 to 120.  The front felt a little light as i rolled the throtle on and it skipped a little as i rolled it off!  Took about an hour to wipe the grin off my face!   ;D  Enjoy the Busa!
1976 CB750F (Modified!!)
2005 Honda VFR800 (Burnt & gone...)
2007 Honda VFR800 (RWB!)
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
SOHC/4 #846

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2007, 06:47:05 pm »
I think it's the insurance that keeps the kiddies away from the Busa, more than the sticker price.  Up here I'd think insurance would run the average 20 year old $4,000 or so annually, if they can even get insured.

That may very well be so. My insurance for a year with all the bells and whistles is $788. It's a lot compared to my other bikes which are $140 each without collision.

I totally know how you feel about the modern bike to classic sindrome.  The first time I rode my VFR out of the showroom I opened it up on a long stretch of a bridge and looked down to an indicated 120mph on the speedo!   :o  It only took 2 or 3 seconds to get from a comfortable 60 to 120.  The front felt a little light as i rolled the throtle on and it skipped a little as i rolled it off!  Took about an hour to wipe the grin off my face!   ;D  Enjoy the Busa!

Thanks!!!

Offline medic09

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2007, 01:35:21 pm »
Watch those New England back roads, at least till you get the hang of it!  ;D

I'm with Steve's earlier comments; I've got the same Triumph and I have to remind myself about the acceleration when I get off the Honda and onto the T.  I got some Triumph stuff from a guy in southern NH (near Windblown X-C area, if you know it) who got rid of his 955 Sprint because he got tired of hitting 100 mph on the back roads there without even anticipating it!  ;)  I think he said he traded it for a Beemer...
Mordechai

'78 CB750K
'76 Triumph T160 Trident (rebuilding)
'07 aprilia Caponord

Santa Fe, NM

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2007, 04:43:10 pm »
Watch those New England back roads, at least till you get the hang of it!  ;D

I'm with Steve's earlier comments; I've got the same Triumph and I have to remind myself about the acceleration when I get off the Honda and onto the T.  I got some Triumph stuff from a guy in southern NH (near Windblown X-C area, if you know it) who got rid of his 955 Sprint because he got tired of hitting 100 mph on the back roads there without even anticipating it!  ;)  I think he said he traded it for a Beemer...

Thanks, I took my BM for a ride today to air it out a bit. I live very close to some great country roads that meander through towns just west of Boston. The routes are well known to me and I feel at ease with the knowledge of where I can push it a bit. After riding my old friend through  familiar and beautiful territory for about a dozen miles, I returned home and started up my new acquisition. 61 miles on the clock. I've been waiting to get some of the .8mm 3M scotchguard clear adhesive material to protect the tank from the fasteners that keep my ample avoirdupoids from being exposed to the getting rather chilly elements.
I couldn't wait anymore however as I had a scientific experiment to run, comparing the relative handling characteristics of the two bikes on two lane, 35mph roads.

At first things sucked. It was three o'clock on a Friday afternoon, and my usually vacant, rolling, twisty routes had been mysteriously replaced with what suspiciously appeared as commuter highways where everyone was Mr. Bean, driving goofy little cars at 32 mph as I attempted to navigate the same routes I had just taken on the BMW an hour before. I was riding along the Charles river on a particularly challenging piece of road behind 2 Mr. Beans, in first and second gear when I made a decision to forego science and enjoy myself. I made a left on Lake Street in Sherborn and sans autos started to experiment a bit. What appears to me as more power than I've ever experienced was an immediate joy. The response on deceleration is as quick as acceleration and I found very quickly that being smooth, both in setting the pace as well as modulating it, was really imperative. I initially felt that the front end was heavier than on the BMW, and that I had to set up for turns more conscientiously, rather than react once I had entered, something I had been able to get away with on the Beemer. I found that as I rode, I became more aware of how I could use my legs and the heels of my boots on the pegs to help shift the balance of weight off of my hands. This helps improve both my cornering and smoothness. It was in the low 50's today, and I was wearing a nylon shell as well as a polar fleece under my leather, as I was on my initial ride. The collar of the fleece, in conjunction with the riding position keeps my Arai helmet from turning easily, and I still have to struggle to turn my head as much as I like to. I purchased some Helibars from mxsouth.com for $165. including shipping yesterday( this seems like a very good price, and I asked the salesperson to check to make sure they were sending bars for the correct bike). I'm hoping the bars remedy this problem. If not I need to find a helmet that is not quite so long across the back portion, or purchase less restrictive clothing.
I stopped in Sherborn center to return a call from my brother, who informed me that the police had surrounded the pizza place around the corner from my house. Apparently, a sprinkler installer had had a row with an elderly customer, and beaten him to death as well as injuring his disabled daughter, and fled into the pizza place, taking a hostage. Whoah, I'd better get home quickly and see what's going on!
Armed with a mission, I flew home, one of the best and most exhillerating 10 mile rides I have ever had.
I encountered only one vehicle that I had to pass, and it was a cinch. I twisted a bit and saw 100 before I returned to my usual restrained self. Effing awesome feeling without cutting it close at all. I reached home with the sense that I was a bit more familiar and comfortable with what I could do. I walked the quarter of a mile up to town as they were removing the police barracade that had restrained traffic from the center of town. My cell phone did not have service, and I found later that the authorities had resticted bandwidth while they talked the fellow out of the pizza joint. I happened apon a swat member walking toward me with an assault rifle in hand and asked if the situation had been resolved successfully. He kindly replied that he thought that things were in hand. I later found out that after surrounding the pizza shop with hundreds of personnel, including 2 helicopters, the man apprehended in the pizza shop had not been the murderer, but some miscalculating robber, who had the misfortune of picking a very bad moment. My town has had two murders in the 26 years I have lived here. Before that there hadn't been one since a policeman was killed during a bank heist during the depression( the 1930's). I have to wonder if my being here has contributed to the increased violence. Probably in part, a very surreal afternoon!