Author Topic: The high intensity of modern motorcycles as seen by an old fart  (Read 5601 times)

Offline S-Dog

• Hot Shot
Re: The high intensity of modern motorcycles as seen by an old fart
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2007, 05:09:38 pm »
I am glad to hear you didn't "overextend" yourself on the 'Busa. ;D  I would still follow you to the side road after going into a corner a little too hot. 8)
1975 CB750K Bright Orange with 8300miles
1983 GL650 Silverwing Restore project with 17k miles

http://www.NEHondaGuys.info/forums

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2007, 09:18:23 pm »
I am glad to hear you didn't "overextend" yourself on the 'Busa. ;D  I would still follow you to the side road after going into a corner a little too hot. 8)

OOPS!!!

Offline S-Dog

• Hot Shot
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2007, 06:00:20 pm »
Looking like a pretty day tomorrow  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
1975 CB750K Bright Orange with 8300miles
1983 GL650 Silverwing Restore project with 17k miles

http://www.NEHondaGuys.info/forums

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2007, 12:51:01 am »
Why did it have to be a Busa doing 150+??

I saw at least 3 other bikes go that fast this fall..

Except for MV Augusta, all the other manufacturers are limiting bikes to 300kph, the German TUV standard ( its still pretty quick, 186.7mph)
It costs about $40.00 for gear/speedo eliminator to give you full power in 5th and 6th gear (good for about 202mph)
 PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2007, 05:55:37 am »

Except for MV Augusta, all the other manufacturers are limiting bikes to 300kph, the German TUV standard ( its still pretty quick, 186.7mph)
It costs about $40.00 for gear/speedo eliminator to give you full power in 5th and 6th gear (good for about 202mph)
 PJ

Thanks, I've become acquainted with the timing retardation eliminator(TRE) device. Mike Rieck related that he feels it's a single resistor that causes the ECU to revert to 5th gear mapping in 6th gear. I'm going to hold off on my land speed record attempt for a while, although there are some nice clean looking in line plug ins out there with on/off switches (http://run.ath.cx/tre/TRE.html?item=1)
I'll probably get one eventually just to add some gravitas to the exaggerated stories I'm sure I'll tell.  ;D ;D
Thanks for bringing it up,
Ben

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2007, 11:31:27 am »

PJ

Thanks, I've become acquainted with the timing retardation eliminator(TRE) device. Mike Rieck related that he feels it's a single resistor that causes the ECU to revert to 5th gear mapping in 6th gear. I'm going to hold off on my land speed record attempt for a while, although there are some nice clean looking in line plug ins out there with on/off switches (http://run.ath.cx/tre/TRE.html?item=1)
I'll probably get one eventually just to add some gravitas to the exaggerated stories I'm sure I'll tell.  ;D ;D
Ben
Ben...the TRE uses the 5th gear map in all gears and nuetral. That TRE you showed me senses nuetral and turns the 5th gear map off automatically. That's the way to go as a standard TRE like Ivans can have an adverse effect on idle quality.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline sparty

• I just play one on TV
  • Master
  • My engine is 100% stock... wink.
    • Gallery
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2007, 06:35:11 pm »

PJ

Ben

Yeah I guess that 186MPH is just too slow to ride on the Mass. Pike these days.  You better add a nitrous bottle along with the eliminator so that you can pass grandma on her way to the grocery.  I enjoy a nice ton run, but I call it quits anywhere past 120.  I can't imagine 186 on the road.  Saltflats maybe, drag strip maybe, simple highway never - not for me Ben.  I don't have nine lives anymore. ;)

Sparty
1972 CB750 K2 Cafe' Style

GO AWAY SNOW AND COLD!  Can you see the Hot Rod wants to run...
“That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.”

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2007, 08:02:57 pm »
I
After receiving assorted cautionary instruction from the staff at Wareham Cycles, who were all younger than my children,

I though I recognised the name, one of my former students works at the Plymouth? branch (Ryan) He's 27, pretty good  at what he does. Sometime you just know students are going to be good at the job
PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline ekim98

• Expert
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2007, 08:03:39 pm »
Yeah I guess that 186MPH is just too slow to ride on the Mass. Pike these days.  You better add a nitrous bottle along with the eliminator so that you can pass grandma on her way to the grocery.  I enjoy a nice ton run, but I call it quits anywhere past 120.  I can't imagine 186 on the road.  Saltflats maybe, drag strip maybe, simple highway never - not for me Ben.  I don't have nine lives anymore. ;)

Sparty

Have to agree with you there - maybe 35 years ago. :( But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to own a bike that had a little more potential than my cb750. I do kind of mis the old 1100 Sabre.
Patriot Guard Rider - KY. Ride with Respect

78 750k  cafe bike sort of
67 305  Superhawk (working project)

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2007, 04:41:30 am »

Sparty

Have to agree with you there - maybe 35 years ago. :( But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to own a bike that had a little more potential than my cb750. I do kind of mis the old 1100 Sabre.

Here's the rub, from only slightly competetive eyes. At first it seems like way too much speed, you resist really blipping the throttle and you slip first gear because you're not sure you can maintain control as you enter traffic. The seat position feels severe, hunched over whether you want to be or not. As you ride a little bit, and I've only been out for about 125 miles, you become acclimated to what the bike's potential is. Top speed in itself means little, doesn't it? Gearing can create a bike that takes forever to get up to speed, but then will go very fast.

When I saw that the bike was reported to have just over 100 ft/lbs of torque, I became interested. What sealed the deal for me was riding with Mike on his Busa when we went out for the SOHC ride last month. I realized the bike could be ridden slowly. It doesn't mind going 2 or 3k, and wasn't noisey or noticeable, at least until Mike demonstrated a wee bit by passing me and making me feel like the world's slowest tortoise.

I guess my recently discovered point is that with experience, we get used to pretty much whatever we have to work with. I can sense the limitations of the bike, impressive as they are. The seating position has become comfortable. What becomes most important to me now is smoothness and the discipline to use the bike moderately, causing as little notice as possible. You can go slowly on these bikes, but can sure pass anytime and anywhere you need to, which is a very nice thing. It's such a good bike that you want to discover it's potential, hence the TRE. Really the same thing as what we are all trying to do with the CB, just 30 years in the future. The big question for me is what is it going to feel like in 30 years. I won't know, but hope I'm around to ask questions!
All best,
Ben

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2007, 04:45:37 am »

I though I recognised the name, one of my former students works at the Plymouth? branch (Ryan) He's 27, pretty good  at what he does. Sometime you just know students are going to be good at the job
PJ

There was a nice young guy who prepped my bike who might have been named Ryan. I'll inquire when I call over there next. If it was he, I enjoyed spending a few minutes with him. Low key and quietly capable was my first impression, I liked him.