Author Topic: Yamaha TX500?  (Read 2812 times)

Offline SClay115

• Enthusiast
Yamaha TX500?
« on: November 01, 2007, 12:57:40 pm »
Anybody know anything about these bikes? Might be going to check one out for a temporary ride while the CB gets finished. So, anyone had one before or have some knowledge to share?

Steve

Offline Green550F

• Hot Shot
  • Nothing is as cool as that which you made.
Re: Yamaha TX500?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 08:47:41 pm »
I had one in high school! in '88 I got off it the hard way and spent a week in the hospital growing new skin and contemplating the point of speed limits!

Actually, the accident was all my fault. Loved the bike and misss it dearly!
the only consistant defect I knew of them was an oily leak bythe left exhaust port. Seemed common to the model. Also they were heavy as hell!

To compare with my buddy who had the CB550 in my avatar, the 550 beat it in every stoplight drag race. but the TX had about 10mph on the cb550 at top end. Difference between torque and quick reving I supose.

The TX500 had 4 valves per cyl and titanium seats for the new unleaded fuels. The 8 valve and 2 cam design made tons of power for it's day. Good thing since the weight was so great. I could do burnouts all day on it!

It was more comfortable on long trips than the CB. the throttle seemed much lighter also. Beyond the tires not lasting, and the high speed shimmy that was to be the end of the bike, I never had a problem with it!

And now I have to go cry over old pictures now... Damn I miss my first "big" bike!
93 Kawasaki Voyager XII
70 Honda CL350 Cafe

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 09:29:57 pm »
I had one in 1977, I think it was about 1974 vintage, but it was a real nice looking bike, compared to the ugly "boxy" model that came out a couple of years later.

The story goes that they were "over-engineered" with contra-rotating balance shafts and chains running every where, and that they cracked heads and leaked oil, but mine ran great, and I wish I still had it now, not that I'd be able to find parts for it.

If it runs well and doesn't need anything I'd say buy it, but if it's running poorly and looks like it's leaking oil, leave it the hell alone! Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 09:40:36 pm »
A bike mag back in the day said;

Chains by the yard,
on sprockets that turn hard!!

about that bike...

and we used to say that every time we saw one..lol..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline SClay115

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 07:50:33 am »
Well the price is cheap, and the fellow that is selling it says it's in good shape. Going to try to check it out today if I have time. So the general idea is that if it runs well, it's a pretty good scoot? I just really want to get back on the road...

Steve

Offline kirkn

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 09:05:39 am »
cheap, and you have low expectations - you can hardly go wrong!   :)

The problems they had have been noted - balancers were chain driven which quickly stretched, making them vibrate worse.  However, a twin is a twin, and as long as you don't run 'er near redline all day, I think you'll be fine.  Heads were prone to crack between the exhaust ports as noted, but again, if it runs all right, and yer not looking to put 75000 miles a year on it...

Good Luck with it.  Post a piccy or two, if you get the chance.

Kirk

Offline SClay115

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 09:22:45 am »
Here are the pictures from the CL ad:

Looks nice yea? Turns out he's about 2 miles from my house too.

Steve

Offline kirkn

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 10:45:52 am »
Hey, I was just looking at that ad somewhere.  Maybe another forum?  Where are you located?

I thought I saw it on my own local Orlando CL, but now I don't see it.

I thought at the time that that bike would be a winner.

I'd say go for it...

Course, it ain't MY wallet...  :)

Offline SClay115

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 11:02:59 am »
Hey, I was just looking at that ad somewhere.  Maybe another forum?  Where are you located?

I thought I saw it on my own local Orlando CL, but now I don't see it.

I thought at the time that that bike would be a winner.

I'd say go for it...

Course, it ain't MY wallet...  :)

Maybe on MY local Orlando CL  ;)

Where are you at in this fair city? I live out in Oviedo...

Steve

Offline kirkn

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 01:58:07 pm »
D'oh!

Yep, there it is.  Sounds like a nice bike.  I still think YOU should go for it.  I've already got a stable full of old junk, er..., I mean..., classic bikes.

I'm just down the road, in Chuluota.

Kirk

Offline SClay115

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 02:19:43 pm »
D'oh!

Yep, there it is.  Sounds like a nice bike.  I still think YOU should go for it.  I've already got a stable full of old junk, er..., I mean..., classic bikes.

I'm just down the road, in Chuluota.

Kirk

Right on, I'm definitely going to go check it out, can't hurt right?! Looks to be a cool bike, can't find anything as far as info on it, but hey, that's the fun right?

Steve

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 03:50:25 pm »
Geez those pics took me back, my bike was a brown one just like that 500 in the pic, they really were a nice looking bike, and like has been said before, if you take it home and give it an oil change right away, and you continue to look after it, I'm sure it'll look after you! And if you get sick of it, send it to me! Ha ha, Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 12:38:33 am »
s'funny, I thought they were an evil pos designed to make techs go mad due to stuff seizing, wearing out, burning out and just not very good quality. I remember doing front wheel bearings on one with less than 12,000 miles (back in 1978)
Wheel was hitting fork legs both sides and all the bolts snapped off due to corrosion (they were made of Japanese mystery metal :D)
 They did have an awful lot of recalls/bulletins I believe.
 Everyone I knew who had one had at least 2 or 3 or more for spares
PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 02:38:16 pm »
Yeah, Yamaha were going thru a bad time, the TX500 was a better bike than the TX750 though, I remember watching one idling on the centre stand, vibrate right across the concrete sidewalk and fall into the gutter outside my local Yamaha dealer when I was a kid, the owner ran out and I'd never heard some of the words that came out of that guys mouth, ha ha! ;D