Author Topic: bike running like a bag of bolts  (Read 2124 times)

Offline parm

bike running like a bag of bolts
« on: November 01, 2007, 11:53:51 am »
i just got my 75 cl360 going a couple of days ago, and it seems to be backfiring a bit, until it gets warm. then when i ride it sounds a loose bag of bolts being shook around and it feels gutless. do you think that could have something to do with me needing to sync the carbs? perhaps its runnign to rich. im not sure im new to motorcycles. any help would be great thanks!

fuzzybutt

Re: bike running like a bag of bolts
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 01:46:03 pm »
try adjusting the camchain. synch carbs and check condition of plugs

Offline mattcb350f

• Hardly a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB350F
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 01:50:41 pm »
+1, also adjust the valves while you're at it.

Backfiring out the carbs =    lean
Backfiring out the exhaust = rich
Backfiring out both       = Ignition

Sort of general there but that's typical causes.
 Matt.
1974 CB350F,  1980 CB125S,  1981 XL80S
Non Honda's: 86 & 87 Husqvarna 400wr's

My CB350F resto: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=30467.0
Gallery at:
http://gallery.sohc4.net/main.php?g2_itemId=298318

Offline medic09

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 01:36:42 pm »
The title of this thread made me think of one of our pilots, who says that a helicopter is nothing more than a mass of nuts and bolts moving in a more-or-less synchronized fashion in the same direction...
Mordechai

'78 CB750K
'76 Triumph T160 Trident (rebuilding)
'07 aprilia Caponord

Santa Fe, NM

Offline parm

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 01:48:56 pm »
to adjust the cam it says that i need to bring the motor to 90 degrees A.T.D.C. the problem is my kickstarter is broken. is it ok to turn the motor over by pressing the electric start gently, just to get it to turn over a bit at a time?

antiq

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 03:30:14 pm »
The title of this thread made me think of one of our pilots, who says that a helicopter is nothing more than a mass of nuts and bolts moving in a more-or-less synchronized fashion in the same direction...
Spent almost ten years on helicopters. We always called them a collection of nuts bolt and rivets flying in loose formation. Trust he's right.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 04:03:34 pm »
Just to move away from a "The thing about helicopter's" thread and back to Honda CL360's just for a moment, I'm guessing that you've just taken possession of this fine bike, so the first thing that you've got to do, (I see you've got a workshop manual) is the following:
1. Oil Change
2. New spark plugs
3. Clean points
4. Check/set ignition timing
5. Check/set valve clearances
6. adjust cam chain.

If the bike's battery is ok, that's good, otherwise get a new one. If the bike's been sitting unused for a long time, pull the carbs and clean them paying particular attention to your main and pilot jet, ensuring that neither is blocked, and if the CL's had CV carbs (I think they did) check to make sure the rubber diaphragms are not cracked, or the carbs will suck in too much air, causing a weak mixture.

By now, if you've done all of the above, you've "Restored factory settings", (to use a modern phrase) and should be right to go! Now, back to helicopters..............  ;D   
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline parm

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 02:36:28 pm »
ok everything seems to be running good now, lots of power. i can ride it around fine, but when i turn the choke off soo does the bike. anyone ever encountered this?

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 04:03:22 pm »
ok everything seems to be running good now, lots of power. i can ride it around fine, but when i turn the choke off soo does the bike. anyone ever encountered this?

Yeah mate, two things there, either you haven't wound up your idle screw so it'll idle once the choke has done it's thing, or your pilot jets are blocked with crap. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 09:17:34 pm »
Block it up, put in gear and turn rear wheel to get it to 90 degrees ATDC..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 09:37:36 pm »
You did not mention if you replaced the air filter, but it made the WORLD of difference on my CL350 when we were getting the engine sorted out.