Author Topic: Creating Spark plug wires  (Read 1232 times)

dudeman750

Creating Spark plug wires
« on: November 15, 2007, 06:47:54 pm »
Hello all.
I have been researching the web and this site about ignition wires, coils and plugs for a few weeks now and a lot of the info is sooo confusing. It appears to me the original equipment for my 1982 CB650SC used non suppressive type metal core wire with resistor plugs (DR8ES-L). Now this bike does have a CDI ingnitior right? My particular bike came to me with the DYNA 2.2 ohm coils. I am now trying to create new wires for this bike. The confusing thing is that when I got it, it had some 8mm silicone core suppresion wires on it, with non suppresive caps, and the DR8ES-L plugs.

After much reading and crossing over different info I am thinking about using solid core wire from NAPA, some 5k OHM NGK plug caps, with the NON resistive plugs like D7ES or D8ES. Does this sound right? Does anyone know what would be the best combo for this? Is it ok to use the DR8ES with the 5K Caps? (im thinking would end up with 10-15K ohms total with this combo?) I am en EE so I understand ohms law and such.

I also read that with solid core wires the only way to adequately suppress them is to have resistors at both ends of the wire. Is this true? Im a little gray on the original equipment- it has a CDI so how much suppression did the original system have? Just the plugs?

Also, my apparent DYNA wires had some ETCO crimp terminals on the coil end of the wires which I have no idea where I am going to get. I was just running with 2 of them jammed into the coil and being held in my the rubber boot on the wire. I found all the plugs have different gaps and just tore the whole thing off last night to redo it all.

Any of you gurus have an idea how to set up this bike for wires? again its a

1982 CB650SC
2.2 OHM DYNA Coils (grey)
DR8ES-L Plugs

Oh yeah the stupid plugs are weird too. I understand the -L means it is halfway heat range between the D8 and D7. The bike had 2 DR7ES and 2 DR8ES plugs in it when I got it.

dudeman750

Re: Creating Spark plug wires
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 06:52:03 pm »
Oh yeah anyone have a good source where I can get everything in one shot? I have found everything but the crimp terminals at different places.

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 01:12:52 pm »
napa will have everything.but if you want to use the hard plastic ngk plug caps you will need to go to a motorcycle shop/dealer.
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 01:19:04 pm »
The question is why do you need suppression wires. Yes if you were listening to AM radio it would unpleasant but other than that they serve no purpose. The cars around you will be listening to FM or CD.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 02:42:07 pm »
I purchased NGK plug caps from an ebay powerseller (DaveKnowsDeals) and his prices and speed of delivery where outstanding. For wires, I purchased a universal fit, solid copper core (yellow) wire set by Accel from a local auto dealer.
That kit was enough wire for both of my bikes. Plugs like D8EA are available from the same auto parts dealer that I purchased the wires from.

Cheers
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

dudeman750

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 04:44:52 pm »
The question is why do you need suppression wires. Yes if you were listening to AM radio it would unpleasant but other than that they serve no purpose. The cars around you will be listening to FM or CD.

Thought this was due to interference to the bikes CDI ingnitor only. Dont care about EMI broadcasting otherwise