Author Topic: 750 K6 dry sump questions  (Read 734 times)

Jbird

750 K6 dry sump questions
« on: November 12, 2007, 03:52:31 pm »
  I decided to run the carbs dry before removing them. I had the bike leaning over on the side stand while I ran it with the fuel petcock closed. I wasn't paying much attention, just running the motor and revving it a little bit a couple of times. When it felt like the carbs were almost empty I shut it off. I immediately heard this loud liquid squishing sound.I looked down at the engine and saw about half a quart of motor oil on the ground, it was running out of the alternator side cover. I'm sure it was coming out where the wires go into the alternator, I need to seal that grommet a little better. Just a week before I went for a sixty mile ride, she leaked a little but nothing like yesterday. When I checked the oil in the tank the oil was a bit low and it had a bunch of air bubbles in it, in fact the oil on the ground looked quite aerated.. Am I having an oil pump problem? Is the oil pump not scavenging the sump like it should? Did running it while leaning a little to the left create a problem? What was that squishing sound? Any help is appreciated. It runs so nice I was just going to pull the engine out to clean and detail it while doing my restomod, I wasn't planning on doing any internal engine work.  TIA   Jbird 8)

Offline Clyde

• Hot Shot
Re: 750 K6 dry sump questions
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 06:28:28 pm »
The oil return from the sump is usually aerated as the pump has more capacity than the main oil pump. Hence it tends to suck some air as well as oil.
Have you recently topped up the oil tank? It could be that the oil has returned to the oil tank and come out the overflow tube which is normally positioned near the back of the engine. As it was on its side stand it may have appeared to come from the alternator cover, but actually may have come from the oil tank.
SOHC4 #1909
Honda CB750 K0(original and unrestored), K1(in pieces), K2(restored), F1(restored), 76 750a (awaiting restoration), 1966 Honda CB72
Suzuki GT750 1972 (restored), Kawasaki Z1 1973 (restored)

Jbird

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 07:58:03 pm »
Thanks Clyde, I'll have to run it again and see exactly where the oil is coming from. The squishing sound really has me baffled.  Jbird 8)

Jbird

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 05:30:19 pm »
I ran it again today, just a couple of drips from the left side. I added about half a qt of oil before I ran it. I ran it for about ten minutes, leaning on the side stand, then standing straightup for another ten or so. Just a few drips, no strange squishy noises, nothing strange at all. Now I'm really confused.    Jbird 8)