Author Topic: New Shoes - WARNING: Not for purists!  (Read 2284 times)

Offline chopstar500

• King of the Nighttime World
  • Enthusiast
New Shoes - WARNING: Not for purists!
« on: November 12, 2007, 03:49:21 pm »
Ha - I figured that would get your attention. I thought I'd post of pic of the new tires that I'm using on my project. I'm thinking that there is some relevance here, as I am not aware of anyone on this board that is running Pirelli MT66s - I'm probably wrong, but who cares, right?

Anyway, I've got this wild vision of the bike having this 60's style muscle car/prostreet look - these tires seem to fit the bill. I'm running a 80/90-21 up front & a 140/90-16 out back. The wheels are out to Eastcoast Wheels for new spokes & custom lacing. I'm probably going to do a 1/4" red stripe on the wheel OD to add a little of the 60's flair.

Go ahead... flame away!  ;D
Completed Project "Four Pack" - My 1971 CB500 KO - Now For Sale - email me for more info!

Offline scondon

• No way my run was THAT slow, must be an
  • Old Timer
  • Mmmm......tasty bugs
Re: New Shoes - WARNING: Not for purists!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 03:55:01 pm »
 The "Route 66" is a good all around tire, in my opinion, and I've been runnin' them for years on the Daily Rider. Did you paint the lettering on the sidewalls or did they come like that? Haven't seen that style before.
Give me..a frame to build a bike on, and my imagination will build upon that frame

Offline chopstar500

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 04:00:27 pm »
The "Route 66" is a good all around tire, in my opinion, and I've been runnin' them for years on the Daily Rider. Did you paint the lettering on the sidewalls or did they come like that? Haven't seen that style before.

Yes - I found some really nice industrial oil based pens that are made to write on rubber - the color seems to be that perfect soft yellow that I was looking for. Lot's of tedious work, as I am a natural perfectionist. Seems very durable thus far also. I remember seeing an add for these babies, and it showed them with RWL - of course Pirelli does not sell them that way. I just always thought they looked cool with the big block letters.
Completed Project "Four Pack" - My 1971 CB500 KO - Now For Sale - email me for more info!

Offline scondon

• Old Timer
  • Mmmm......tasty bugs
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 04:05:54 pm »

Yes - I found some really nice industrial oil based pens that are made to write on rubber - the color seems to be that perfect soft yellow that I was looking for. Lot's of tedious work, as I am a natural perfectionist. Seems very durable thus far also. I remember seeing an add for these babies, and it showed them with RWL - of course Pirelli does not sell them that way. I just always thought they looked cool with the big block letters.

And the "little" block letters on the front don't look half bad either :) Depending on what the rest of the bike looks like, that might give a nice effect when the wheels are rollin'.
Give me..a frame to build a bike on, and my imagination will build upon that frame

Offline chopstar500

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 04:20:04 pm »
Couldn't resist a "mock-up" pic - although it's got me thinking that maybe I should've went with black powedercoat on the rims vs. straight chrome.  ???

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 04:28:22 pm »
I didn't know you could still buy them actually. I've got a worn out Pirelli "Route" on a 16 inch CB750 "Hog" rim, and I kinda liked the pattern, and I had Pirelli "Phantoms" for years before they got too hard to find so I switched to Bridgestone BT45R's, but the Pirelli's are very good tires, for sure. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline rbmgf7

• 2>4
  • Expert
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 04:34:42 pm »
my mouth is watering. very nice job. i love the yellow accents with the lettering.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 04:58:17 pm »
Terry would have coloured the lettering with English Beer.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline scondon

• Old Timer
  • Mmmm......tasty bugs
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 05:08:26 pm »
 That mock-up pic took some serious ingenuity, I like it ;)  Unfortunately you will now have to source some "see through" spokes to keep that look ;D

Offline MoTo-BunnY

• The 'Torque 'er Down 'till it Strips Then Back 'er Off a Quarter Turn', Type of
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB500 ~ member #3791
    • http://instagram.com/moto_bunny#
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 06:18:33 pm »
I have a Pirelli MT66 up front. I plan on replacing the Metzeler on the rear eventually, with another MT66, as I find the Pirelli really good in wet weather (a common occurrence here in Orygun)

Plus, the tread pattern is pretty fetching too - not too high tech looking. I like how you colored in the letters. . . I might think of doing that, kinda a kewl retro look.

---> instagram.com/moto_bunny# <---

[img width= height=]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3440/3846213109_ae572002d4_o.gif[/img]

hoppin' on down the bunny trail . . .

1973 Honda CB500K2
1970 Ding-How aka Nova R-S w/3.5HP Tecumseh MiniBike
1970 Taco Model 22 deluxe w/3.0HP Briggs & Stratton MiniBike
1973 GMC Vandura 3/4 Ton Van (350CID V8)
1973 Dodge "Chinook" RV (360CID V8)
1985 Toyota Tercel Wagon SR5 (4WD - 3A engine)
1982 Toyota Pickup Truck (2WD - 22R engine)
1962? DriveX Pack-Mule (Tote-Gote clone)
1989 VW Jetta GLi 16V
1991 Diamondback Mtn. Bike

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 06:45:59 pm »
Well I reckon you should color in the lines between the tread MB, I bet no-ones done that yet? ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MoTo-BunnY

• The 'Torque 'er Down 'till it Strips Then Back 'er Off a Quarter Turn', Type of
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB500 ~ member #3791
    • http://instagram.com/moto_bunny#
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 07:26:44 pm »
Well I reckon you should color in the lines between the tread MB, I bet no-ones done that yet? ;D

lol. . .there ya go. That and a little white lace pattern on the sides and I'd be set. OH, and some glitter too. .  . definitely glitter  ;)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 07:51:40 pm by MoTo-BunnY »
---> instagram.com/moto_bunny# <---

[img width= height=]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3440/3846213109_ae572002d4_o.gif[/img]

hoppin' on down the bunny trail . . .

1973 Honda CB500K2
1970 Ding-How aka Nova R-S w/3.5HP Tecumseh MiniBike
1970 Taco Model 22 deluxe w/3.0HP Briggs & Stratton MiniBike
1973 GMC Vandura 3/4 Ton Van (350CID V8)
1973 Dodge "Chinook" RV (360CID V8)
1985 Toyota Tercel Wagon SR5 (4WD - 3A engine)
1982 Toyota Pickup Truck (2WD - 22R engine)
1962? DriveX Pack-Mule (Tote-Gote clone)
1989 VW Jetta GLi 16V
1991 Diamondback Mtn. Bike

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 07:30:55 pm »
I have a Pirelli MT66 up front. I plan on replacing the Metzeler on the rear eventually, with another MT66, as I find the Pirelli really good in wet weather (a common occurrence here in Orygun)

Plus, the tread pattern is pretty fetching too - not too high tech looking. I like how you colored in the letters. . . I might think of doing that, kinda a kewl retro look.

I like the look of that tyre. I had Perrellis on a Ducati I had and thy were great.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline chopstar500

• Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 07:43:26 pm »

I like the look of that tyre. I had Perrellis on a Ducati I had and thy were great.

First time I've used Pirellis - got them both brand new & shipped to my door for $120 - felt like they were worth trying for that price.

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 05:02:11 am »
Now that you've teased me with the tire mock-up, what will the tank & seat combo look like - color etc....   Looks killer already
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline chopstar500

• Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 09:39:47 am »
Now that you've teased me with the tire mock-up, what will the tank & seat combo look like - color etc....   Looks killer already

I plan to use the stock tank (sans the emblems) and I will probably run a MotoCarrera Laguna Tail (see pic).

As for color - I already have a couple quarts of HOK Silver Flake, but after seeing the mock up pics I might powedercoat the rims black and go all balck on the bike. Really need to see how the chrome wheels look one I get them back.