Author Topic: Pulling CB 750 engines.  (Read 2375 times)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Pulling CB 750 engines.
« on: November 13, 2007, 08:47:16 pm »
I see a lot of people on here lay them on their side.. which is ok when they are apart.

And I have always put them in by leaning my chest on the backbone and lifting with one hand under the dyno and one on the kicker.. have a milk crate or sturdy box beside the frame..

BUT...

How do you guys think the Honda mechanics in Japan and elsewhere got them in and out for service work.. they sure did not strip the frame and put it on its side!!  Maybe they are eating something we dont have over here?     :o

Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline mikedialect

• cbjunky
  • Expert
    • Mike's Metric Vintage Honda
Re: Pulling CB 750 engines.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 08:48:37 pm »
I see a lot of people on here lay them on their side.. which is ok when they are apart.

And I have always put them in by leaning my chest on the backbone and lifting with one hand under the dyno and one on the kicker.. have a milk crate or sturdy box beside the frame..

BUT...

How do you guys think the Honda mechanics in Japan and elsewhere got them in and out for service work.. they sure did not strip the frame and put it on its side!!  Maybe they are eating something we dont have over here?     :o

takes six hands total.
SOHC4 Member#44153  
www.mikesmetric.com | www.mikedialect.com

Offline CB750F2

• Hot Shot
  • Pat's first Honda 750 F2
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 09:59:50 pm »
Laying the engine on its side and lowering the frame onto the engine is great if the frame is stripped - as it would be if you were installing the motor after a rebuild and a frame restoration - but not so good if the frame has all the bits hanging off it.
I used this method to refit the motor to an empty frame and with the help of a friend we had the frame complete with motor back upright on the centre stand in 10mins max. We supported the frame with a trolly jack while we fitted the forks and the front wheel.
The last time I removed a motor from a fully assembled bike I made up a plate that slid between the bottom rails and the motor. The sump and oil pump need to be removed to do this. The plate extends out the RH side of the bike and is supported by strong adjustable legs. I used a trolly jack and a piece of timber that fitted between the rails to lift the motor and plate to a position where the motor can be slid out the RH side and sat on the plate ready to be lifted onto the bench using a chain block and slings. I was able to do this on my own and without scratching the frame paintwork. I ommitted to say that I lined the bottom of the plate with rubber insertion to prevent damage to the frame. Pat from Oz
Regards
Pat from Australia

White Nightmare

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 12:04:14 am »
When your bike is apart its really easy when you lay the bike down on its side. I did it a couple nights ago by myself.

-Chris

Offline bbrown

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 03:03:44 am »
I made a fixture (c) shaped that fits into top engine mount bolt area then goes forward into cylinder (with cam adjuster removed)  it holds engine at right angle for removal. I've used it on freshly painted frames with great success. As i'm 58,tired,and don't have 6 hands!  Bob
75 750k & 74 750k & 80 900c

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 03:45:49 am »
Back when it was always two people and a tin of black touch up
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 04:31:31 am »
I made a fixture (c) shaped that fits into top engine mount bolt area then goes forward into cylinder (with cam adjuster removed)  it holds engine at right angle for removal. I've used it on freshly painted frames with great success. As i'm 58,tired,and don't have 6 hands!  Bob

Could you show a diagram or photo of this? My wife says whe won't put engines in my bike anymore.

Thanks,
Lost two hands

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 04:41:10 am »
My wife says whe won't put engines in my bike anymore.

;D
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline cafebob

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 09:55:41 am »
you can still use the side trick on a dressed bike.  Just take the tank, side covers and seat off.  Put the motor on 2 cinder blocks with a board over them.  lay the bike over the motor.  Two people can do it no sweat.

bob

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 11:14:47 am »

Could you show a diagram or photo of this? My wife says whe won't put engines in my bike anymore.

Thanks,
Lost two hands

Come on man, my Mom did mine ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry, that was to easy ;D

Offline ekim98

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 11:28:01 am »

Sorry, that was to easy ;D

Now just admit it seaweb, it's really your mom's bike and she didn't trust you to put the motor in right so she did it herself ;) ;)
Patriot Guard Rider - KY. Ride with Respect

78 750k  cafe bike sort of
67 305  Superhawk (working project)

Offline RRRToolSolutions

• Expert
  • I love old Japanese bikes!
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 12:52:17 pm »
I like it when you guys cut your frames and need my kit to repair them for future mods. Then you remove all of the head pieces, cylinders, and make removal of the remaining parts a piece of cake.

I just happen to have a set ready to go ..... :)

Gordon

Kaws, Hondas, Yamahas, and Suzukis - especially Kaws

Offline azuredesign

• Knupping pin
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 02:05:54 pm »

Jeepers, if she cooks too....  ;D ;D

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 07:18:08 pm »
I usually do it myself, then go to the chiropractor for a week so I can stand up again....

In the "Thoughts..." collection, there's a note about my favorite trick, AFTER you get the engine out and BEFORE you paint the frame: take a grinder or file and flatten the top of the little flange on the right-hand lower engine bolt hole. This little flange can actually lock the engine in a permanently unremovable position during exit, if you get it just wrong.

...yes, I've done that...Gordon, I wish we'd had one of your kits back then... :(
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline spitfire

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 02:17:16 am »
When I was younger and more flexible I used to remove and install CB750 engines on my own, nowadays I tend to get help, my 12 years old grandson helped me put the F1 engine in, it was a breeze.

Cheers

Den

Wirral UK
1976 CB750F1 bought new in 76
1977 CB750F2: Restoration started
1964 BSA A65R: Waiting restoration
My gallery is here: http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/spitfire/?g2_navId=x5a30f7b6

Offline rhinoracer

• Hot Shot
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 07:38:59 am »
I used a manual winch (comealong) hooked to a roof beam and three straps. #1 to the right side, #2 to the left side over the frame and #3 to the left side under the frame top tubes.

Slid it halway out to the right using #1 and #2, unhooked #2, snugged #3 and pulled it all the way out.

Baja native.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 07:49:14 am »
I just call the old Japanese guy down the street!

I give him a 6 pack, we both have one..

Then he tells me to go outside the room, 5 min later, he yells its ready!! Then he takes his 3 beer and goes home..

No scratches either!!
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 09:06:34 pm »
I just call the old Japanese guy down the street!

I give him a 6 pack, we both have one..

Then he tells me to go outside the room, 5 min later, he yells its ready!! Then he takes his 3 beer and goes home..

No scratches either!!

Oooo....ninja wrench!
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com