Author Topic: Cleveland's Cafe  (Read 2331 times)

Offline cleveland

• Expert
Cleveland's Cafe
« on: November 21, 2007, 07:51:44 am »
I have 2 1974 CB550's I am going to cafe out this winter and I have officially started the first one.  ;D

Here is the first bike I started with.  Bit too chopper-ish for my taste.  ;)

Here is a link to the carb work that I did to get her running.  I couldn't have done it without the help of board members.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=28068.15

I took one of my extra frames and ground off the center stand.  Then I cleaned it with Simple Green.  Once I though I had gotten it all of it, I started over and cleaned it again.  That grease and oil was a real chore to get off.  I can't believe how much grease and oil came off in the second cleaning.  Then I took a Scotch Brite pad to the frame. 

Once I was ready to paint it occurred to me that it has gotten too cold to paint in that garage, so I made a make shift paint booth/room in the basement.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l30/cb750caferacer/Clevelands%20cafe/100_3165.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l30/cb750caferacer/Clevelands%20cafe/100_3163.jpg

Here's the frame after the first coat of paint.  I am using Rustoleum "hammered silver."  Being my first build, I figure the "hammered" will hide my mistakes, and I'm sure they will be plentiful.  ;) I plan to go mostly silver/polished aluminum/chrome with a few areas of black.  ;D

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l30/cb750caferacer/Clevelands%20cafe/100_3164.jpg

The next step is to pull the engine from the other bike, clean and polish it.  I'm really thinking about painting the center of the head black like the old school Brit bike.  I'm not sure though.

I sure it will go slower then I want it to, but it has started.  8)

Offline babyfood1217

• The only way to drink espresso is as a
  • Hot Shot
  • I miss my baby...
Re: Cleveland's Cafe
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 08:05:52 am »
Cleveland-

I'm excited to see your builds.  Not gonna thread jack, but I ope to have mine done by this winter as well.  The frame and wheels I bought off of you are going to good use!  Keep the pictures coming!

-Chris
I need help moving my project bike from Wisconsin to Seattle, WA.  Willing to pay well.  Contact if interested.

SOHC member: #438

Project: 1976 CB750K
GSXR forks, Monoshock Rear end, 836 in progress, RC51 pipes, custom frame and everything else.

Offline forwheeldrift

• Enthusiast
  • 1972 cb 500 Four
    • pics
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 08:09:36 am »
I have the same paint shop you got, gets the job done  ;D

are they going to look alot alike or are you going for two differaint styles of cafe's

rlarkin70

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 09:10:33 am »
I like bikes with silver frames. Gotta love the plastic drop clotch paint "shop" too. =)  Did the same thing to paint my tank.

Keep the photos coming, looking forward to watching your project come together. Good luck.

-Ron

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
  • RIGHT ON TO THE REAL AND DEATH TO THE FAKERS
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 09:19:05 am »
lookin good man, also i used to detail cars 10 years ago and when i used to degrease the engine bay i used castrol super clean "the purple stuff" it works almost too good, if you leave it on too long it will eat paint.....good stuff though if your going down repaint. 8)
We are not humans going thru a spiritual experience...
We are spirits going thru a human experience....

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 11:12:05 am »
The frame and wheels I bought off of you are going to good use! 

Was that for a K or F, I forgot.  ???

are they going to look a lot alike or are you going for two different styles of cafe's

I haven't decided yet.  It really depends on how the first one turns out.

castrol super clean "the purple stuff" it works almost too good

I'll have to check it out, thanks.

Offline Mossy21

• It takes "Time" to be a Classic..........
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 05:44:07 pm »
Keep us posted with your progress....... I'm love'n it.   :)
If I can't see the Engine I can't see the point.......

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 03:24:07 pm »
My tenant moved out a week ago, so I turned the living room in the lower unit into a bike work space.  ;D    No more firing up the kerosene heater in 10 degrees climate, no more working on a frozen bike, oh man is it sweet!  So more posts, pics should be coming shortly.

Question for you guys that have painted your own frame.  How many coats did you apply?  I have 3 coats of Hammered Rustolium, and I'm thinking of putting 2 more coats on to be safe.

Offline Mossy21

• It takes "Time" to be a Classic..........
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 09:05:09 am »
Maybe some day all of use will have it as good :'(..... Til then, I sort of like it when my tools stick to my frozen hands I find I don't have to grip them as tightly.  :D :D
If I can't see the Engine I can't see the point.......

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 09:12:14 am »
This is Wisconsin, so I am used to the cold.  It's the headache from the damn kerosene I couldn't get used too.

Offline WJL75

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 02:03:54 pm »
Cleveland,

Glad to hear it's finally under way.  Like the frame color.  Let me know if you need anything.
wjl75

1976 CB550K Cafe

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 02:27:54 pm »
I lost your number.  PM it to me, I have some questions for ya.

Offline WJL75

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 02:43:17 pm »
PM Sent.
wjl75

1976 CB550K Cafe

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 02:12:13 pm »
So I have started the disassembly of the wiring harness.  Oh boy is it fun, I wish I could do this all day every day (that's sarcasm  ;)).  Being color blind insures that I have to label every single wire.  It gets better, the guy that made the bike into a chopper took the time to run the wires through the bars, but then left the wires by the fuses a rats nest.   >:( 

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l30/cb750caferacer/100_3225.jpg

BTW, here is the dinning room in my lower unit.  ;D

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l30/cb750caferacer/100_3223.jpg

Once I get the wiring harness taken care of it shouldn't be long before I can pull the engine, polish it, and drop it into the freshly painted frame.  I opted to go with 5 coats of paint. 

ZetecOwns

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 03:49:10 pm »
I'm planning on doing my frame, as well as many other parts, in Rustoleum as well. I got a fairly cheap HVLP gun on eBay, and I have access to a compressor, so I think I will spray.

Is this the route you took, or did you spray with cans?  How did the hammered appearance turn out?

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2007, 03:58:22 pm »
I used the can.  Some areas look "hammered" and a few spots look "really hammered" LOL!  I think I got a bit spray happy in a few places.  This is my first project, so I am not going to be too hard on myself.   Most of those poor areas will be hidden by the seat and the tank.  ;D If you take your time, and stop spraying when you should, I think it will look great. 

I got the idea from a local guy named Jeff.  I knew I wanted to go silver and I saw his bike when I was picking up my parts bike from him.  He showed me what he used and explained that the hammered will help tone down any mistakes.  Over all I am very pleased with it.   

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 08:05:44 pm »
I got quite a bit done today. 

Here's the slave labor hard at work.  He is rather productive when he's not fighting with his brother.

After he finished with the wiring harness, he pulled the forks/triple out while I lifted the frame/engine off the top of the triple.  I have no idea how I would have done it with out him. 

This is what I am left with at the end of the day. 

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l30/cb750caferacer/cb550%20cafe%20build/100_3289.jpg

I was getting ready to pull the oil pan off when the engine shifted and practically fell out of the frame.  Some days it just all works out.  ;D