Author Topic: CB550K - minor annoying issues  (Read 1477 times)

ChopperCharles

CB550K - minor annoying issues
« on: November 30, 2007, 03:36:31 pm »
Now that I've got my CB550K running correctly after pulling it out of somebody's garage ($150 score!) and cleaning it up... there are a few issues I'm concerned with.

First, the bike is impossible to shift into neutral while it's running, but sitting still. If I'm stopped and I try I go right past neutral to 2nd, then past neutral again into 1st, and then it will no longer shift out of 1st gear until I start moving or I turn off the bike. It does this EVERY time. Not really a big deal, but is there something I can do to fix it?

Second, the bike is noisy at idle, and it's not valve noise. It sounds like a rattling ringing noise... kinda like leaving a bunch of washers on a stud loosely and then revving the motor. It goes away with just a little throttle input.

Finally... I rebuilt the brake caliper and master cylinder, but this sucker is still a bear to slow down. Looking at the forks (1978) it appears that the brake caliper, bracket, and everythign will swap from the left side to the right side.... so I purchased the parts and will install them eventually... but what kind of master cylinder should I use for the best braking performance?

Also, is there any benefit from swapping the forks around so the calipers are behind the fork tubes instead of in front of them?

Thanks!

Charles.

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: CB550K - minor annoying issues
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 04:01:58 pm »
First, the bike is impossible to shift into neutral while it's running, but sitting still. If I'm stopped and I try I go right past neutral to 2nd, then past neutral again into 1st, and then it will no longer shift out of 1st gear until I start moving or I turn off the bike. It does this EVERY time. Not really a big deal, but is there something I can do to fix it?
You have a dragging clutch.  If you cannot adjust it for better operation, or by using the proper oil.  Then the clutch plates are probably warped.

Second, the bike is noisy at idle, and it's not valve noise. It sounds like a rattling ringing noise... kinda like leaving a bunch of washers on a stud loosely and then revving the motor. It goes away with just a little throttle input.
Have you adjusted the cam chain tension and verified it is functioning properly?

Finally... I rebuilt the brake caliper and master cylinder, but this sucker is still a bear to slow down. Looking at the forks (1978) it appears that the brake caliper, bracket, and everythign will swap from the left side to the right side.... so I purchased the parts and will install them eventually... but what kind of master cylinder should I use for the best braking performance?
Dual disk if you want.  But, if you are still using the 30 year old expando rubber brake lines, you can improve the existing brakes a great deal with SS braided brake lines. 
Also, if you got any fluids on the brake pads (hyd fluid, fork oil, grease, etc.), they are now self lubricating.  If you have new pads, they will take a while to fully seat and achieve maximum friction.
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

ChopperCharles

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 12:30:25 am »
Well, I did notice the clutch slips a little under full power... but the bike only has 9340 miles on it.  Could the clutch really be warped with that little mileage. Or hrm... maybe rust on the plates could do it. I'll adjust the cam chain tension this weekend I guess.

Stainless lines are one of the first mods I plan... but I'm also considering a CBR600RR master cylinder to accompany my new dual disk setup... but it's not exactly the same vintage looking part, and doesn't even have a mirror mount... maybe something from a DOHC CB750 would work... or I could just skip the vintage entirely and get a radial master cylinder with a remote resiviour...

One last thing... the tach is slow... I'm going to disassemble it and clean the innards (worked for my POS XS650), but does anyone know the ratio? I'd like to replace it with one of those mini speedos eventually....

Charles.

Offline florence

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 12:43:14 am »
At a slow idle the primary drive chains on these bikes make a lot of noise and they sound really rough but it isn't at all harmful.  Mine has always sounded like a tin can filled with stones at tick-over but as soon as I increase the revs it sounds smooth and swishy.

Offline CrisPDuk

• Christ on a bike! Me, an
  • Expert
  • Oh happy day! 3rd December 2005
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 12:54:09 am »
I had all these same problems with my 550 after she emerged from the depths of the previous owners garage, blinking in the sunlight :(

The rattling and ringing noise disappeared when I fitted a david Silver spares clutch.  The other gearbox/engine woes will dissapear I hope following the motors visit to BryanJ for a complete overhaul ;D

The shocking front brake performance was improved by fitting a onne piece stainless steel braided hose, and a late '80s CBR600F master cylinder (I actually fitted all the switches and everything from the bars of the 600F).
Swapping the forks over so the caliper is behind the fork leg makes only a minor difference to braking performance, but additionally makes a significant difference to the handling :)  The bike seems to compress the front forks far less under braking, for some reason best explained by someone more knowledgeable than me ::)
Education: Elitist activity. Cost ineffective. Unpopular with Grey Suits. Now largely replaced by Training."

1978 CB550 K3
1985 H100S

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 03:18:57 am »
For master cyl use a GL 1000 one if you want the look to be the same, you will need to modify the speedo drive plate
do a full tune up getting the points gap and timing spot on then balance the carbs and most rattles will go away
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!