Author Topic: Tools... The ones you can't live without  (Read 25380 times)

Offline dustyc

• I don't know why anyone would call me an
  • Expert
  • 1977 CB750K
Re: Tools... The ones you can't live without
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2008, 03:28:45 am »
magnetic pick up tool.

Oooh, yeah, a wide bar magnet you can sweep over the ground if you're working in gravel or grass is a lifesaver and a little telescoping magnet is nice for stuff you drop in crevaces (but doesn't work with the aluminum screws you have to take out of the intakes to connect the manometer).
1977 CB750

Offline KeithTurk

• Hot Shot
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2008, 09:39:49 am »
Seems I politely took it off the forum and put it to you in a PM...

We've agreed to disagree...  end of that story for me.

Keith

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2008, 12:08:50 am »
I think there are a few people here like me who have done this stuff for a living (or still do?)
 In addition to couple of 1/2" drive sockets (axle nuts, etc) and the rest of the stuff you already have,
 4,5,6,8mm extra long 3/8th drive Allen sockets.(forks and stuff, probably only need 5 & 6mm, unless you retrofit Allen case screws)
8mm & 10mm 6 point 1/4" drive deep sockets,(only need 8mm for later models) 12mm 6 point extra deep socket (cyl head and some exhaust nuts) 1/4 & 3/8" extension drives (Harbor Freight seem as good/indifferent as any others I've tried, including Snap-On)
 Good spark plug sockets, I use Snap-On but have a couple of cheaper ones which are ground for clearance ( but I would cut up Snap-On tool if I needed to, Oh, I already did that as well  ;D)
 Don't waste your money on full sets of taps and dies.
You WILL at some time need 6x1mm 7x1mm and 8 x 1.25 and possibly 10x1.25 so get them as individual pieces.
You can get good quality stuff pretty cheap from ENCO and special taps (when you need left hand threads, for rearsets linkage etc) from Victor Machinery Exchange in New York.
 I buy my Micrometers from them as they do VIS, (made in Poland and about as accurate as anything else out there, they are even in Harley Davidson PHD video's)
PJ
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 12:19:05 am by crazypj »
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2008, 12:25:12 am »
Heater in the garage. (you southern boys would not understand)
Radio
Beer

;D

We just may have a fan for the motor and one for ourselves or we just put in AC in the garage, lol.  You nothern boys would not understand, lol.

Definate on AC, I couldn't do anything in summertime without it

Offline dpen

• Hot Shot
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2008, 05:43:53 am »
if you're going to use coffee jars for nuts & bolts, washers, small bits etc - put a self tapper or something through the lid & then you can hang them under the shelf
  twice as many jars with the same space

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2008, 09:50:09 am »
Get some disposable gloves.  HF sells them and I am sure they are obtainable other places.  It sure helps keep the black out of your fingernails that can take days to finally get out. 
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2008, 11:14:28 am »
BRIGHT lights! Helps find things as/when they fall to floor.
Cliff.

Offline gane

• Gane
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2009, 03:59:48 pm »
Two favorites, a long #2 phillips screwdriver (@ 10" shaft). allows 2 handed use, and reaches behind fairings and to center carb ducts, and a long 5mm 3/8" drive ball allen. (flexes some and isn't as strong as a straight drive, but certainly a time saver) G

Offline slipnot

« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2011, 08:55:07 pm »
Carburetor adjusting tool for adjusting those hard to get at inner pilot screws...
Current rides:  1977 Honda CB750A, 1978 Yamaha XS650SE, 1979 Yamaha XS1100SF,  1979 Honda XL500S

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2011, 11:18:12 pm »
One real important item I forgot, THREAD FILES (although you only need a metric one for Honda's)
Really the only way to fix rear axle after someone has beat it out with a hammer (usual alternative is new axle)
 Before there are a bunch of smart-ass remarks, you can't get a die started when the end is mushroomed

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2011, 11:19:49 pm »
Impact driver makes life easier. I like the storage/tackle boxes for organizing small parts, nuts, bolts, washer etc. great for working on the carbs. About $5 at Wally World. A cheap parts washer is essential, good torque wrench. Vic World assenbles his with a small set of handtools. If there's a good sale price on something I"ll pick it up a spec and end up using it down the road. Cliff.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2011, 01:54:20 am »
My T bar screwdriver set and  telescopic magnet..
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2011, 07:58:56 am »
Forgot to mention Princess Auto is opening a store here soon so there will be all kinds of new tools that I can't live without!
Cliff.

Offline cmonSTART

• Hot Shot
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2012, 04:00:28 pm »
Having worked as a professional mechanic for a while I own a LOT of tools, but hands down the most important tool I own is a hammer driven impact tool!!!  So, chalk another one up for that! 

It's absolutely essential for anyone working on a motorcycle.  I have a Craftsman unit which has served me very well. 
1981 GL1100 Interstate
1978 CB750F Project

Offline Oldschoolmachinist

« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2012, 12:46:44 am »
Because you can never have enough indispensable tools..... Bump!

I have found my smart phone to be one of my indispensable tools. I'm 50 years old and honestly I don't know how I managed without one for so many years :)

I use to take pictures during disassembly. The voice recorder is great for making notes. I also work as a machinist, and there are so many free programs to download. I can calculate bolt hole patterns ( great for brak rotors ) cutting speeds and feeds.... Gear ratios, and other engineering calculators. I can send pics to my boss. And since I often have to work alone I can even dial 911 if I get pinned under something heavy :)

I have a lot of other tools but honestly it's the smart phone that gets used on every job.

And the other reason for posting is to reach the five post limit so I can post pics of my yet to be beautiful CB750.

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2012, 05:54:38 am »
Couldn't agree more, OldSchool!  Take a pic, bag it and tag it!  I drive a sidecar rig too.  Many apps, most FREE, that help me keep the thing aligned.

Welcome to the forum, and lov the name too! ;D
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2012, 02:01:01 pm »
Also indispensable is my Clausing 5900 lathe, and the Lagun Republic knee mill, but then if I go down that road, I have to start talking about a bunch of indispensable tools that would be completely off topic  :P I wish there were a part of the forum form tips relating to fabrication and machining.  ;D

« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2012, 02:05:42 pm »
Couldn't agree more, OldSchool!  Take a pic, bag it and tag it!  I drive a sidecar rig too.  Many apps, most FREE, that help me keep the thing aligned.

Welcome to the forum, and lov the name too! ;D

And did I mention somewhere on this board that I am going to add a sidecar to my CB750 or are you psychic?  :)

On a side note I think I have just passed the 5 post threshold that allows me to post pictures and put stuff in the classified section.